It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on bringing a new puppy home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TaylorandEpona
Newborn
Newborn
TaylorandEpona

Female Join date : 2015-08-11

puppy - Advice on bringing a new puppy home Empty
PostSubject: Advice on bringing a new puppy home   puppy - Advice on bringing a new puppy home EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm

We will be moving into a house soon and my Husky is 1 year this month. She is well socialized with other dogs, just plays a little rough. We constantly take her to the dog park, until she was in heat. Obviously, she's aggressive while in heat.

Because we chose my boyfriend's favorite breed, a husky pup, he promised once we get the house, we can get my favorite breed- a beagle.

So, I'm a little paranoid because I'm not a fan of male dogs. I would prefer a female beagle. Not that I don't like male dogs, I love all dogs, I just find that females are easier to train...

However, I heard it's hard to have two females and that it's worse having two females than two males.
I'm also worried because beagle pups are pretty small compared to 1 year old huskies and while Epona (my husky) is friendly with all dogs for the most part, she still plays kind of rough.

I wouldn't leave the two alone until I'm confident of course, I just want some pointers on introducing and what not.

I never had a big dog before, so I'm not sure if it is any different, but I've had this issue in the past where one dog was jealous of the new puppy.

I had a beagle about 2 years old when we saved a chihuahua pup off of a highway. My mom favored the chihuahua and my beagle became very depressed. They both ran away and only the chihuahua came back ): Breaks my heart til this day and I don't want anything like that to happen again. Obviously, I would not favor one over the other. I love my Epona, she is my best friend.

Anywho, any advice? (also, if this is in the wrong category, I'm sorry. I couldn't find the advice column)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice on bringing a new puppy home   puppy - Advice on bringing a new puppy home EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 am

If she is well socialized and gets along with all dogs then you should be fine. My girl is dog and gender aggressive but wasn't well socialized as a pup. I would get her around some smaller dogs before you commit to getting a beagle and see how she does. You will have to teach her to be gentle and not overdo it with a puppy and set many boundaries as huskies play rough by nature and hounds aren't like that. The puppy will learn to play like that as it gets older though. As far as girl with girl, it is done all the time, but will depend on your dogs. I would suggest getting them both fixed. This will help. Many of my girls issues stem from a late and improper spay that lets her hormones flux making her not herself. If you take that factor away then it will be one less thing to worry about. If you do get a male dog I would still get both fixed. You don't want to have to deal with heat cycles with a male in the house. They just get dumb.

Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice on bringing a new puppy home   puppy - Advice on bringing a new puppy home EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 12:28 pm

I personally found my males easier to train then my females.  I did, however, get them neutered at 8 months of age, so not much testosterone was pumping through them yet.  It also depends on the puppy and their parents also make a big difference.  When and if you decide to bring home another puppy, make sure you check out the parents and litter mates first.  Ask a ton of questions like medical history, previous litters, if they have any puppies that they kept from previous litters that you can see, stress in mother, where they got the parents (make sure there is no inbreeding).  I'm sure there is something online or in this forum where you can look up good questions to ask.  Choosing a puppy from good parents can also make a big difference when it comes to training and socializing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on bringing a new puppy home   puppy - Advice on bringing a new puppy home Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on bringing a new puppy home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1