It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 1:26 pm

This is not to be constructed AT ALL as a criticism of what you've just written ... and I'm sorry, it's off topic but your comment made me go this way so it's all your fault!

When one looks at the "working GSD's" I cannot help but wonder why the 'judges' chose the slope backed, long rear legs as the "proper" form of a GSD.  I have to wonder how much of the dysplasia found in the GSD is a result of this (very odd) 'proper' stance.  The Malinois (sp) for example, of similar size, used for many of the same purposes is, stacked, a much squarer dog (much more 'natural' in my opinion).

I wonder why the Sibe world seems to be going to a 'shaggy' appearance as the norm?  The working lines, that *I* see seem to be thinner coated (or give the appearance of a thinner coat) and, when stacked, seem to be a square dog.  Even running they seem to be 'straight out' ... one really has to wonder if it's the working dog or the show dog that will eventually determine 'standard'.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 1:45 pm

As far as coats go....keep in mind many 'sprint' racers don't put a lot of thought into coats and the coats end up suffering getting thinner and less efficient. Endurance racers, primarily those running in cold climates and trail camping with their dogs, tend to have a more correct coat. What we see in the show coats, at least up here, is bordering too much. While not being incorrect, it's something that makes a dog with a lesser but still correct coat stand out. We can see problems in both extremes. I would hesitate to say the 'working' Siberian is more correct than the 'show' Siberian in many cases.

Everyone picks on the GSD for the way they are stacked and not so much an understanding of their standard. The GSD's hips have been improving from where they were just a couple decades ago. They still rank fairly high on the failure rate, but are no longer in the top 20 of affected breeds. They are nearing falling out of the top 40 of affected breeds. This is a breed who needs to cover vast amounts of ground while staying low and stalking with the least amount of steps possible, to accomplish this the angulation and length of tendons change a lot. Which does alter the stance. Westminster GSD breed winner and group 1 herding Am. Select GCH/Can. Select CH Lockenhaus’ Rumor Has It is rated Excellent in hips and Normal in Elbows. But everyone freaks out over her stance. In person, she's a breathtaking bitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Huskymom, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how did the husky end up going in the fluffy (or as Al put it, shaggy Wink ) direction and still able to stay "correct"? and is there a difference in a "heavy" coat versus a "fluffy" coat or are they basically the same? The second question is more a personal question and if you don't want to answer it here (it is Gypsy's thread afterall) you can pm if you want, but I'm asking because in my own two, I feel Kohdi has a fluffy coat and not heavy (but you can disagree, it's why I'm asking! My feelings won't be hurt, my two are not show dogs or anything) while Mishka's I would say is heavy and I do notice a difference in the two as far as "endurance". Mishka just seems to tire easily (doesn't necessarily have to do with her coat though, I understand that, she also doesn't really have length of leg and any other fault you may see that I don't) and I'm also not sure if she may have more a medical problem that I don't know about yet...she's extremely active and can hold her own, but when it comes to things like our walks, I feel she just gets tired too easily and if it is indeed because of her coat, and heavy coats are the direction Siberians are taking in shows as standard or correct, why it would actually be correct for a working dog when it can (or does?) affect things like endurance. Btw, Kohdi with his fluffy coat, is like any other husky I've ever had, endless energy, extremely active, and doesn't seem to tire easily, if at all, haha...just doesn't seem to have any limitations, and why I'm wondering if there is a difference between fluffy vs. heavy.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Coat is all in genetics. Some dogs will have more coat than others. There is such thing as too much coat (woolie) and not enough coat. The main points are not so 'shaggy' as to distort the outline of the frame, a coarse guard hair, and plush undercoat. A dog who is out of coat will look like it has less coat than a fully coated dog. Guard hair that becomes too long and whispy won't protect the dog as well as a correct guard hair. Lacking undercoat the same result. We must keep in mind, no matter where these dogs are currently living this is an arctic breed. Meant to withstand extreme temperatures and harsh weather conditions. If the coat can't protect them, it's not correct.

As far as coat affecting endurance, unless you have a woolie I'd highly doubt a coat is affecting endurance. I'd suspect, if not underlying/undetected medical, poor functional structure conformation....We can of course discuss further via PM
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
I'm also not sure if she may have more a medical problem that I don't know about yet...she's extremely active and can hold her own, but when it comes to things like our walks, I feel she just gets tired too easily

Jimmy - if I were to guess, I would say its the heat you have.  Ami ploops out above the mid 70's.  In the spring, once the temps get above 40, he starts to slow down a bit.   In the summer, in the first part of our walks he is gung ho but he quickly starts lagging behind and panting.   I would worry except, when the air conditioner is on in our bedroom he absolutely comes alive.  Often at a really unacceptable time...as in 3 AM this morning when he thought it was a fine time to play BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks Amy! I have like a million theories, LOL, from just being so small, to maybe her pulling (she's not bad at pulling, but when I walk her and Kohdi together, she constantly has to be in front) my only concern it being a health issue is at times, when she's tired, her breathing has a hoarseness to it (brought it up to the vet, her regular vet was on vacation so this was a fill in) and she wasn't concerned about it as it wasn't an all the time thing, but also she will just stop on a walk, about half way through it, almost as if she needs to rest...I say "almost" because if Kohdi is tired of waiting, he will start forward and Mishka zooms out in front again. When walked by herself, she's lighter on her feet, isn't pulling at all, and except for the hikes up the mountain, doesn't get tired, so I don't know what to think but your heat theory makes the most sense since I've noticed when the temps go down like they have been lately in the afternoon/evening (starting to feel like Fall!) these two are back to their old tricks, LOLOL .

Thank you Amy and Lani Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*   BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BOSSW/INT CH Silver Falls Dancing With The Flames At Keahi *Gypsy*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2