It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Red's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 am

Ooh! That's a classy collar! I think it's pretty cool how it blends with her fur. She's so pretty!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I lie that collar Amanda! Red looks awesome in it. I've been thinking of getting collars for my two as well, atleast for short walks and stuff of that nature, harnesses are a pita.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Awww I would probably just go along with it too lol

And about the cuddling business, yeah sometimes I also think he jumps off because he gets hot but tries his best to stay on the bed haha the max he's ever stayed on the bed has been like 40 minutes, which was on that one super rainy day that I posted on here. And now that we are in the begging category, my gf likes to eat hot cheetos on the bed and who always wants some really bad?…Mylo. He doesn't whine or anything but he gets on the bed and lays right next to her just starring for most of the cheeto eating session lol it used to drive her nuts but then I'm like hey he isn't whining or bothering you so whatever let him watch haha.

Ohhhh thanks for the modeling pics collage haha And yeah thats what I meant to say about the wide collar, and I see that collar is like a buckle style..does it stay put really good? I'm confused by the chain part of the collar does it hide around or?
I have a regular clip on collar for Mylo and sometimes I feel like it gets a little loose over time so I tighten it up every now and then. I wouldn't mind getting something like this that has specific holes to stay on and not sliding a strap and assuming it never moves a little.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Nice collar Amanda, nice pics as always. Did you find it hard to put on and adjust? I have a similar training collar, and I tend to avoid using it, because I can not put it on fast enough, and secure it on a proper fit. Did you have any problems putting it on?
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
I lie that collar Amanda! Red looks awesome in it. I've been thinking of getting collars for my two as well,  atleast for short walks and stuff of that nature, harnesses are a pita.

Speaking about pita, the recent harness I got for Mylo is a "walk in harness"..I liked it because it only has one clip so I was like ohhh this should be easy to put on him….but o m g .. he hates the thing but its for his own good when we go to the park only. I have to corner him to successfully put it on. "Walk in" pshhh more like walk away harness haha I don't think he likes how the harness goes under his legs and up when putting it. Cause he was always good with his previous harness which was different. Whenever I get him the Alpine harness I know that one will be a breeze cause the clips on the side.

(I know nothing to do with your thread @redlattinville lol)
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 pm

OK, super long post~~~~here I go!

davecerv wrote:
(I know nothing to do with your thread @redlattinville lol)
Not a problem at all, different topics have to start somewhere! Red has all the sound effects going if she smells something she really likes but can’t have!! I bet she’d do the same with the hot Cheetos too  Rolling Eyes  she's such a piggy.

Jimmy, Danielle – thank you much! Hahah I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t hastily choose any collar and it took me almost 2 months of browsing the internet till I found something classy and sturdy looking.

Renee, Dave - Here are my thoughts:
Plastic snap buckle collars – I stayed away from these because I didn’t want to run the risk of the plastic wearing down over time and Red snapping the buckle.
Metal buckle collars – not sure what else to call these but they buckle like a belt for your pants. I considered this style because these seemed the most secure but I still had some slight reservations about Red slipping her collar. I do realize there's still a chance with most types of collars regardless.
Martingale collar – the red collar you see in most of Red’s photos is this style. This was the first collar we got her which she’s still using right now. I decided that for her adult collar, I wanted it to be a Martingale style as well but in leather material instead of nylon webbing. Generally speaking, these collars are pretty easy to put on. You just slip them over your dog’s head and adjust it to their neck size. In the case of the red collar, it’s a metal slider. For the leather collar, I got the style where you adjust it with the metal side buckle (I like this because it won’t loosen over time like the red collar cause you’re not sliding anything plus buckles are always easier on the hands). I’ve seen Martingale collars made of nylon or cotton fabrics sewn over nylon – both of these generally adjust with a metal slider. The leather Martingale collars I’ve seen are adjustable by a metal side buckle or are non-adjustable/one size only (mainly because the leather is too thick to be adjusted by a metal slider). I wanted the leather to be adjustable because if I was going to dump more money on a collar than I should, then I would want one that Red could grow with. I think with this style, it’s OK to have them loose only to the point where you can stick at least two fingers comfortabley between their neck and collar. I don’t normally take Red’s collar off so generally once I put it on and adjust it, it stays on. I just check the red collar every so often to see if it’s loosened over time. I would imagine I wouldn’t have to do this with the leather collar but I’d have to check the metal rivets to ensure they’re still holding up.
The purpose of the metal chain in the leather collar is that when she pulls, the collar tightens on it's own. When she stops pulling, the collar will automatically loosen on its own via the metal chain. The way a Martingale is described is that it's a "humane choke" collar (I know, it still sounds like a torture device). But if you think about it, if your dog pulls on a collar, it's going to choke anyway but the concept with this is that they're not supposed to be able to slip their collar when pulling because the harder they pull, then the tighter the collar gets. On pg 2, go to the “not being choked” pic, you can see how the tightening process works in the red collar. There’s no metal chain in the red collar because the whole thing is made with the same nylon material which works nicely in sliding loose/tight. The leather collar couldn’t be made entirely out of leather because leather doesn’t slide like nylon does.

Here is the exact same red collar that she has right now. The smaller loop is what does the tightening/loosening action and you attach the leash to the O-ring that is on the smaller loop.
http://www.chewy.com/dog/petsafe-premier-red-pet-collar/dp/52217
In the leather collar, the metal chain is equivalent to the smaller loop on the red collar.

As for harnesses, I have two of them. An orange one by Red Dingo. It's very pretty but the worst to get Red into it because it has 2 snap buckles and she's always wiggling like a wormie!! I have to get her into a bear hug to get the darn thing on her. 100% PITA too! The second one I got is a black/rose colored one by Wonder Walker Body Halter. I love this one because it's simplistic and you only have one buckle to mess around with. The buckle sits near her left armpit area. I believe if you go to pg 2 of this thread and see the one of Red with the dog that looks scared and also the sideways pic of Red with the leaves, you'll see how that harness looks. It's pretty basic and they have tons of colors to choose from. David – I think this is probably the same in design to what you described for Mylo. I always always always attach a carabiner to the chest D-ring/O-ring of the harness to the ring on the collar if I plan on walking Red on the harness. Otherwise, I just attach the leash to her collar. I saw this tip on youtube and it's just an extra safety precaution in case your dog slips their harness then at least the carabiner is attached to the collar which in turn is still around your dog's neck (hence the reason why I don't do collars that have the plastic buckle). Red has managed to slip her harness about 3-4 times now when she got startled and boy was I glad I added the carabiner!!!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 am

I feel the same way about plastic snap collars, I did have one of those on Mylo up until he was about 5 months old…then I found this really nice metal snap-ish collar from Spindrift, on that on basically the entire snap buckle thing is made of metal
Here it is-I have the black one on Mylo
I think this is a great collar, and made in the USA.
Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 515t7p10

One time he was being a brat and not getting on the grass to do his business so I kinda pulled him and he was moving away and his head to the side and booom collar slipped off and he ran to the front door of the house…I was like oooomyyygaaaa did that just happen :affraid
Now the collar was still snapped together just the collar slipped off of his head…my fault for pulling lol

Ohhh so thats what those Martingale collars do, interesting and yeah they do choke themselves whenever they pull. Ohh okay thats what the chain part is interesting!

The one thing I do like of the current petco harness I have for Mylo right now is that it has two D-rings around the snap buckle so I put the leash trough both (one is suppose to be for ID tag and one for leash).
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks for explaining Amanda. I too have a similar collar to Dave's for both Sofie and Miya, never had a problem slipping off, weird. Miya's I have had since she was 6 months old, and Sofie's is Miya's baby collar, so they hold up well. Maybe it's my fumbly fingers, but I can not get the type of collars that is like a belt on Miya. Maybe because she is squirmy, haha, but the metal snap buckle's I can get on, well, haha, in a snap.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm

I will crush you in your sleep.Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 20151110

And then I will air myself out.
Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 20151112

And then hunt some poly filled elephant for dinner.
Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 Dsc_1913

Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 20151114
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Amanda...you are just having plain too much fun with that pup lol! lol! lol!

Love your pics AND your commentary.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Hahhahahh Amy, I wish that were the case but I think Red is the one having fun with me...or rather, fun taunting me!

Often at times, she will be doing something funny but will stop as soon as she realizes someone is watching her. So my hubby and I have to whisper to each other to come look when we catch her in the act.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 4:02 pm

redlattinville wrote:
Hahhahahh Amy, I wish that were the case but I think Red is the one having fun with me...or rather, fun taunting me!

Often at times, she will be doing something funny but will stop as soon as she realizes someone is watching her. So my hubby and I have to whisper to each other to come look when we catch her in the act.

lol! lol! lol! It took me almost 2 years to get a pic of Ami on his back!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 5:03 pm

lol, airing herself out, very nice pictures.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Lol the first one is hilarious! That face too haha cute pics of Red Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 12:27 am

You post the cutest pictures! Smile love her little elephant, my two like long things, like weasels and alligators and stuff, lol, they play tug of war with them, haha. Red has such beautiful markings.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 am

Red says Thank you to all the husky parents out there for fluffing her ego for her! Lololol

That couch pic is the first time she actually physically chose to cuddle that close to me all on her own! Well, it was more of sitting on me but I'll take what I can get. Usually if she's been in her crate for awhile and we go to let her out, the first thing she does is roll over and gets into her air out position! I still laugh eveytime she does it. No modesty at all lol!

If it's soft, if it's fluffly (like her ego), filled or squeaks then she will love it! I have confiscated that elephant for the time being so that I can patch it up again once more. Such a shame that these stuffed animal toys don't last at all. We have a few old socks filled with more old socks or tennis balls that she loves playing fetch/tug with. But they start to smell like roadkill or some kind of unholiness after a few days of being soaked and dried and soaked yet again from her saliva....belch!
Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 Img_0110
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:18 am

So I know a lot of dogs like to chase their tails. But has anyone else caught their pup doing it inside of their crate too? Red Sometimes makes this rattling noise when we're not in the room and when I peek my head in, she stops so I can never see what she's doing. I finally caught her this weekend and turns out she was just spinning circles in her crate trying to chase her tail. What a nut.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:22 am

OMG, my mom actually did that for Mishka. She took some kind of old toy, I don't even recognize it, and put the most annnnnnoyyyying squeaker in it and tied it up, then gave it to Mishka...and Mishka LOVES it! I heard this awful thing and I go looking where it was coming from and here is Mishka with it, jaws going a million miles a minute making that awful squeaker squeak. my mom must hate me or something, haha
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:27 am

Hahahhahahh!!!!! Tell your mom she's awesome!
Maybe your mom just wants you to think of her everytime Mishka squeaks her toy! Or maybe it's her form of punishing you lol!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:35 am

But I am her favorite...well, I thought I was, LOLOL

Weird, mine don't chase their tails scratch
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:45 am

Heh if your the baby in the family then of course you're the favorite. Hahha I know only from experience *wink*

Red was just going nuts over her tail a few mins ago and has now tired herself out. She was going round and round on her bed and flipped over onto the floor a couple times from going too fast.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 11:50 am

Nice pics!
"I will crush you in your sleep"... lol!
That sock idea is really cool!
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Try it out! I wish I came up with the sock idea so that I could take credit for it but it was actually my neighbor that told me about it. We use old socks that would normally be thrown out due to wearing thin or loss of elasticity. If the sock isn’t long enough to tie off, I’ll keep stretching it until it is. Then when she finally rips that outer sock layer, I’ll untie or it cut open and re-stuff one of the inner socks with the one that is ripped. I keep doing this rotation until all the socks that were used to stuff are ripped before I throw the whole thing out cause of course, we don’t have THAT many old socks available! These are great because you can wash them with your regular laundry and dryer when they start getting stinky. Plus, there’s no risk of them consuming any polyester filling if they rip the sock ball but you just need to keep an eye on it when any loose threads start showing.

Might be a nice toy for some and not for others. It works for Red because she has a foot licking habit (home pedicure!) and sock fetish. She is constantly stealing my owl socks and seems to like licking the little stuffed owl that is attached to the cuff.

Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 20151117
I take way too many pics of her...
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:31 pm

I used to do plastic water bottle in a sock technique when Mylo was a younger pup but now that he's older and has had a sock incident I'm not so sure I want to try out anymore sock ideas on him, maybe when he's older though cause it's cool. I will say that when he are a sock it was a small one that isn't seen when a shoe is on so maybe a super long sock would better haha

And I think I take too many pics of my boy lol I have almost 3,000 pictures on my phone and 97% of them consist of Mylooo hehe
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Wow! 3,000! Hahhahaha I could probably easily get up to that many but my phone was getting slow so I moved them all to my external drive where they will stay forever.

I totally get you on the sock thing. I stick with the long socks and really stuff them full so that she can't swallow them. I also used to give her gallon sized juice jugs but she easily ripped off plastic pieces so we had to stop before she had an accident.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red's Scrapbook   Red's Scrapbook - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Red's Scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next