It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Second dog!!! Help please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 9:07 am

I need a little help, I was set on snowmist great breeder the kennel is very close to me great, but I have now looked at kortar kennels which I also like and highlander emailed me back and they were very nice as well so I was wondering if you guys could help me pick the best out of those three?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 10:12 am

Zoe, by name recognition I have heard of Snomist and Highlander. Don't hate, since I am not the greatest at great kennels, but Kortar, hasn't had any champs in this decade, and they don't appear to work their dogs. Also they are a dual breed kennel. Personally i don't like that, because one breed will suffer from lack of total attention. How can you show that many dogs and keep track of breedings with 2 different breeds? Lastly with Kortar, half the dogs they use to breed are not accomplished. I understand out of 14 dogs that you are breeding that a couple may not be champs, but half are not, so, imho, they are not breeding to better the breed.

Snomist, doesn't have much to work on, so looking to SHCA, if they are recognized there, then they are a better kennel. I have seen European dogs from Snomist. I also feel that many of the breeder who do not have a website tend to be the better kennels.

Lastly Highlander. What did Megan say about them? She is from Michigan, so she would know this kennel, I can not remember if she mentioned them in a previous post of yours, you may want to double check that post to see what she said about them. From their site they have had champs this decade, good, and their dogs do look good. Of course people who are more knowledgeable on breeders would be better than myself. I would scratch Kortar off my list, btw, I did not look at their dogs, but one page had one of their dogs on it, and his muzzle seemed off to me. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck to you, I for one truly understand how difficult the process is. The decision for us going with a gsd was my husbands. He goes crazy with all of Miya's fur, I don't have the heart to tell him most dogs shed, haha. It was also his turn to pick the breed, since I picked husky for our first. You do have some time before you are ready to get yours. So hopefully others will hop on and give you their opinions on these kennels.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 10:58 am

First glance at Kortar's website - too many dogs and not enough working being done with them despite a lot of them having good pedigrees themselves and health testing done. The dogs they have have good pedigrees but it's like they aren't really doing much with what they have besides breeding (unless they haven't updated their website). They have A LOT of sibes too (19) and 10 Shiba. I know that doesn't necessarily mean much but that just seems overkill to have THAT many dogs and not have too many dogs that are CH or titled in other venues.

I would maybe talk to them about what their breeding program is to accomplish and how they are working their dogs. Other than them not having too many dogs with titles, everything else seems good with them. Some people don't care for dual breed kennels. I for one just have issue with ones that have a TON of dogs in their breeding program but that's just a personal preference.

Highlander is a fantastic kennel. I am actually interested in them for my future pup (among a few others, just depends on the times).

Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 11:22 am

Kortar is actually where we got Tika.
Here's my 2 cents since I have physically been there, seen all the dogs, the house and spent an afternoon talking to breeder.

These people are not tech friendly. their website is not really very representative of their kennel unfortunately. They show their dogs a lot, I see their FB posts, they are often in local and Canadian shows and actually do quite well. They did have quite a few sibes when we went, and we were allowed into the kennel area with no restrictions, the dogs appeared in good health, well fed and the owners were very detailed in their knowledge of each dog (like they could tell you the pedigree off the top of their head for each), The dogs also were very friendly, they all came up to sniff through their runs and woo. They also do not allow you to take home your pup unless you pass their own tests. I wont tell you what those are, Chris and I passed them quite quickly apparently and they said we were one of the few people who has been allowed to take a puppy home on a first meet.
They also showed us Tika's mom so we could see her, her temperament and get an idea of her size (stud was from Inisfree in NY) She said this was her 2nd and last litter. they do not overbreed their dogs. That much we took away as very positive. They seem to breed for temperament and health mostly.
They do all transactions in house, and small pups are in the house with their moms. Their house was under renovation when we saw it, so I cant give you a really accurate depiction. it seemed very cluttered (but renos...) however it seemed clean.
They supplied all papers we requested, they were very helpful when we had questions and we saw more than one owner stop by to say hi with their dogs or drop off to be boarded there.

Overall honestly, given the options I have being in Quebec, I would go back to kortar (we've even dicussed getting Tikas brother). My options in quebec are basically puppy mills or bybs. Kortar probably isnt the best in Ontario, but I dont hesitate to recommend them. Of course it is a bit of a hike from Toronto, so maybe a closer breeder that you have more information on might be better for you personally. Its really up to you, my 2 cents. Its very hard to tell from a site sometimes. But when we were looking there were some flashy nice sites which we later learned were mills and dont regret taking the drive out there for Tika.
I can also add she is very healthy, has had no issues with her hips or eyes. Her temperament is great, she is your typical hilarious husky. Her vet always complements on her form and health, and to me this is a pretty good depiction of what you get out of Kortar. Might not be the flashiest, or best ranked, but they breed quality, healthy dogs with good temperaments and do not do this to make $$, its their passion.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:28 pm

^ Glad you have first hand knowledge of them! Their dogs have wonderful pedigrees and I understand that using a website to determine whether or not a breeder is good is not the best way to go about things. There is a breeder in TX who is fantastic but she has a very limited website.

CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Thank you everyone for your input! I just want to make sure I am getting Cora's sibling from the best that I can and these three kennels are close enough to me that I wouldn't have to fly the pup. I like all three kennels. Thank you Kelly for giving me some personal info, When I emailed Kortar they Invited me to come and see their kennel since its so far away from the date I would want the puppy, which I though was a good sign. I will keep talking to all three through out the next 3 months then probably make my choice in January.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second dog!!! Help please!    Second dog!!! Help please!  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Second dog!!! Help please!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-