It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thecourseoftime
Newborn
Newborn

Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... Empty
PostSubject: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptySat Nov 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi everyone! I just adopted my boy from the Humane Society, and I'm a little concerned. He's SUCH a good boy and we love him so much, but he's just been laying around a lot. Today marks a week that we've had him, and I know that I'm probably just being paranoid because a week isn't much time for him to get acclimated, but it worries me. He's been to the vet and has all of his vaccinations, his heart worm and parasite tests came back negative, and the vet didn't seem concerned. I don't have much prior information on him, but I do know that animal control found him and he was neglected. He was covered in fleas, has callouses, and fly strikes on his ears (they're scarred and the hair isn't growing back). He seems like he was strictly an outside dog, and now he's inside with us. He has started eating (he is picky) and he drinks a lot of water. He likes walks, but other than that there isn't much energy going on. He comes inside and just walks around a bit and lays down. The Humane Society thinks that he's only 5, so I hope he comes around. Just in this past week he's been to pet stores, the vet, the groomer, and has had plenty of visitors, so I'm sure this is new. I'm just wanting some reassurance that this could be normal for a rescue dog, and am wondering if anyone else has had any kind of experience like this or advice? It's just sad to see, so any advice helps! Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptySat Nov 14, 2015 6:26 pm

There are two other copies of this post...  please respond on this thread...
staff, can someone please delete the duplicates??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Ozhaawa
Newborn
Newborn
Ozhaawa

Female Join date : 2015-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 2:57 pm

I would not worry too much yet. depending on how long he had been at the shelter and what conditions he was living in before could play a role in this dogs happiness.

Does he stretch when he gets up (sure sign of health), and play when you engage him.

This is what is known as the "honeymoon" period. the dog is figuring out whats going on and most often on his best behavior. He could have been under a lot of stress and he is resting, recovering.

Thats how I see it anyway, I have years of animal rescue under my feet. Had you wanted a high energy dog? Did you want to jog or bike with him? Not all huskies are high energy there are a few (my nephews has one) that do enjoy just an occasional walk and mostly hanging out on the sofa!
Back to top Go down
kirbinster
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2016-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 7:59 pm

My experience is they get much calmer by the time they are five and don't run around as much as when they are two or younger. Also keep in mind they are pack dogs and will be much more active if you have a second one to play with. We have almost always had two or three and highly suggest a second.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 1:08 pm

My experience echoes Kirbinster - without Archer here, Ami is a slug-a-bed unless I take him for a walk. He also is in a new situation and hasn't developed any routines with you yet.

I also found that Ami, who has a similar background, really didn't know about playing - still is not much of a people play dog. What he does like is his bones. We have an ample, cheap supply of raw beef bones. He gets one everyday and it gives him tremendous enjoyment. Your boy may perk up if you can find something similar - but watch him at first, some dogs are super aggressive chewers and can break teeth or attempt to swallow whole pieces and choke. Ami slowly savors and gnaws.
Back to top Go down
kirbinster
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2016-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... EmptyMon Jan 04, 2016 1:20 pm

To echo what I was saying just a few minutes ago we were outside with all three and for the first time in a long time the five year old picked up a toys in the yard and went prancing around with it. She has not played with chew toys in ages. She is acting younger since we brought the new young one into the home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...   Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just did my first rescue and I'm concerned...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1