It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Switching between BARF and PREY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
onefyasko
Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

Male Join date : 2015-10-30

Switching between BARF and PREY Empty
PostSubject: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 10:56 am

Hi All,

I was just curious is switching between BARF model and PREY model would cause issues. The place where I get the food from supplies both models with many different combinations or meats and medleys. But I was curious if I got 20lbs of lets say a prey chicken and 20lbs of beef & turkey barf would it be an issue to feed him both. One on one day and one on another day?

Thanks,

Glenn
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Glenn,

I use the prey model, so excuse me if I am wrong with barf. Barf is the inclusion of vegies and fruits, but follows the 80% meat, 10% organs, 10% bone? If it follows the 80/10/10 and it really is just the inclusion of the fruits and vegies, imho, you're fine. If it doesn't follow 80/10/10, then I would feed more days on prey and less days on barf. From what I understand that is the only difference between the 2. Since you have been feeding raw right along, and he isn't a tiny puppy, I say go for it. If you notice upset tummy, then more than likely it's something with a vegie or fruit specifically.

I hope that helps,

Renee
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Out of curiousity, since I do not feed either BARF or Prey, I did a quick search on the subject. My conclusion - since the BARF apparently tends to be ground glop and the Prey, whole bony, meaty things, I'm guessing the Prey is better for their teeth (the meat fibers and sinew act as dental floss, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes Amy, that is correct, and I agree prey model is better, imho. Some people view dogs as omnivores while others view them as carnivores, and that is why there is a difference. Also why I suggest, feeding prey more frequently than the barf, simply for the great things bones do for our dogs teeth, and on the back end, their poops, as you know with Ami and him eating his bones.
Back to top Go down
onefyasko
Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 1:02 pm

I think I do like the PREY model more and would prefer to feed it to Cloud. The one I am looking at for BARF is Lamb/Beef/Chicken with Bone, Organs and Veggies. I assume its probably like 80/10/5/5 mix. I will find out when I get there later today. If not I will just stick with the PREY model 100%.

I was really just more curious to make sure it wouldn't actually make him sick or anything.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Like I said Glenn, it would if he has an intolerance to a specific vegie or fruit. The problem, I believe with the barf, is that the bone is crushed, I use raw bones in lieu of brushing their teeth, like Amy mentioned above, the raw bones clean their teeth like tooth brush and floss for us. Is the prey model you use have crushed bones or whole? I had been assuming that the prey would be whole and the barf crushed, the crushed helps with the poop, but nothing for the teeth. So back to your question, there should not be any difference, unless he has an issue to a specific vegie or fruit and you wont know until you try. Smile
Back to top Go down
onefyasko
Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Thats kind of where I am lost. http://raawenergy.com/Menu.raawenergy.com.htm

Their menu isn't very specific other then listing what is and isnt in an item.

Example: R's Only Chicken has higher bone content organs and no veggies. But it falls under the ground items list. Does that mean that the bone is also ground up? Is that different than crushed? I am no butcher to say the least haha.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Ground and crushed would be the same, it is raw and bone, but will not give benefit for teeth. What I would do is buy the plan as you wanted, and they do offer raw bones as well, and buy them too, hopefully the raw bones will have some meat and sinew left and Cloud can gnash on them. If Cloud is not used to whole bones, watch him and see how he does. With my older girl she will chew up a bone into small pieces before swallowing. With my younger she does not, yet, so I have to take them away after she cleans them. Miya is 3 years old and has pearly white teeth, it's all because of the bones, she has zero tartar build up. Keep asking if I didn't answer everything. Smile
Back to top Go down
onefyasko
Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Sorry for taking eight years to reply, hope you all had a nice Turkey Day though!

I did what you recommended and I bought 20lbs of the one with veggies and 20lbs of the just raw chicken with bone/organs. He likes both, neither had a big impact on his stool but I do think the raw chicken produces better stools.

I also bought him 12 Rib Bones as you recommended. The first one lasted him 2 days and kept him plenty busy, thank god. The second one only lasted him a few hours but it may have just been a different size or thickness. Either way his teeth were squeaky clean afterwards, which is amazing. He handled them well enough too, didn't swallow them whole. But he is a bit protective of them unfortunately but will surrender them to me eventually.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 pm

No problem Glenn. and thanks had a quiet Thanksgiving, hope you did as well!!

If the possessiveness becomes a problem, tell him to drop it, and ask for him to sit and stay far enough away from the bone so you can pick it up, it is what I have to do with Miya, if there's still anything on it. If it's just the bone she has no problem letting me take it. I appreciate you putting up the link, I am having a hard time getting bones for two of them, the local meat department only gets bones on occasion and i freeze them. They don't charge me more than a dollar or two for about 10 bones, but they only have them when t-bones are on sale. Needless to say, I may have to look into the company you linked and see about getting my bones through them. It gets expensive buying bone in ribs for them, haha, let alone the looks I get when I say no we don't eat ribs a lot, these are for the dogs, lol. Glad things are going well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switching between BARF and PREY   Switching between BARF and PREY Empty

Back to top Go down

Switching between BARF and PREY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1