It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky head/body size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OdinHusky
Newborn
Newborn

size - Husky head/body size Empty
PostSubject: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Hey everyone,

My husky, Odin, is about 11 months now and I'm a little concerned about the size of his body/head compared to other huskies that I've seen around my neighbourhood and the dog parks. He stands about 22" tall, and weighs about 52 pounds, numbers that I know fall within the breed standard but again, he seems much smaller than other huskies I've seen. He's been mainly on Blue Wilderness Chicken kibble, although he is a VERY picky eater. Some days he won't eat at all or he'll only have 1-2 cups. I've tried numerous things to get him to eat more, like blending in wet food with his kibble but it doesn't always work. 

I'm also mainly concerned about the size of his head, which seems disproportionate to the rest of his body, and hasn't seem to grow much in the past few months. People have been telling me he will continue to fill out but I haven't seen much of that. His parents, both of whom I met before adopting him, are bigger than he is. Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance!

size - Husky head/body size Img_0519

size - Husky head/body size Img_0520

size - Husky head/body size Img_0521

size - Husky head/body size Img_0522
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 11:42 pm

Right now he is a gangly out of proportion teenager... you remember that phase? When nothing seemed to fit with one another? He won't be done growing until about 2 yrs and the filling out comes at the end of that... or even a little after.
Back to top Go down
Sarah20
Puppy
Puppy
Sarah20

Female Join date : 2015-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:27 pm

I echo what Amy says. Some huskies mature fully at 10-12 months, some longer. It might hit another growth spurt after a year. 52 lbs is a good weight though.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Amy and Sarah gave good advice about growing. On the food end, most huskies are self regulators, meaning they will eat what they need and nothing more. Miya will go a day or two without eating. Also if your dog is not very active on certain days he may not need to eat. Lastly at a year old, most huskies only require 1-2 cups of quality kibble max per day. Miya at 3, and is considered slim, eats about a cup, cup and a half daily, and on super high exercise days 2 cups. Your dog looks fine in the pics. What you are seeing is more than likely out of breed standard huskies. Although their name has husky in it, huskies are not meant to be all that large. Your guy is pushing max weight for breed standard, as well as height. Once he starts to fill out, you will see he is completely normal.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Simon is two years old and is with in the standard and is 38-42lbs Some are just bigger and some are smaller.

As long as the body condition is good I don't worry about when he is a little picky or skips a meal.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
OdinHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone, that makes me feel a lot better! I was just a little confused when seeing all these other huge huskies at the dog park, even though I know huskies aren't a large breed dog.

Another thing, he is due to be neutered next month...I've been hearing different things from different people about the best time to neuter a dog. Some say it stunts growth if you do it too early, others say the opposite. In your experience, is there a "best time" for neutering?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 10:03 pm

I have one of those huge huskies... he was neutered at approx 1 yr. Nothing stunted about him lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky head/body size   size - Husky head/body size Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky head/body size

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1