It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? Empty
PostSubject: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 4:46 pm

many apologies for a long post.
we were at the got park today, and a guy came in with this English bull dog. Leo was playing just fine with him, but the English bull dog was getting a bit to boisterous and nippy. i did stop the play and let them re-zooming play. then they were completely distracted by new people with a pointer/lab mix.

they brought a ball to play with the pointer/lab mix. and well the English bull dog took every opportunity to steal the ball. Leo did get a bit growlie but not in aggressive way more like "can i have that" i told him to just leave it. then he had no problem for a wail. the English bull dog still continued to steal the ball at any given opportunity.

we moved to the lover side of the park (well i was going to give Leo some water, and he got distracted) were the pointer/lab mix was playing with the ball and this time Leo took it. called him over and told him to drop it. i gave it to the owner of the pointer/lab mix throw the ball again still no issue with the ball. he didn't want to take the ball when the pointer/lab mix had it.

Leo had the ball a second time, the English bull dog didn't know that Leo no longer had the ball in his mouth. Leo made some wooing sounds for the bull dog to move away, but the English bull dog didn't want to (it just seemed annoyed that he got wooed at); then proceeded to nip Leo. Leo moved and held the head of the English bull dog in his mouth and released it. which made the English bull dog try to nip him a second time (the bull dog was making a annoyed growling sound) of course that wasn't gong to happen, i separated them with no one getting hurt beside me (just a few nicks cause i missed the English bull dogs collar) the owner of said English bull dog didn't even step in until it was over and both had calmed down a bit. i gave Leo a few minutes to calm down and released him they were fine.

the owner of the English bull dog asked if "Leo was toy aggressive". i told him that "there are toys all over the floor at home and even my chihuahua can walk around them than he dose nothing". he gave me the look like i was lying or didn't know what i was talking about, like the protective parent that kid can do no wrong.

then he waited a bit as they played once more and then i separated them again cause the bull dog got to nippy and then Leo when off to play else were the owner of the bull dog promptly left.
my question is how can i tell if he is or getting toy passive or aggressive? cause i would really like to get a second husky some day and if this is an issue not sure if it would be a good idea to get a second husky and how could i address this issue, if there is one?

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : very sorry for all the typos lost tran of thought when i was typing.)
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 9:09 pm

This does not sound toy aggressive to me... it sounds more like the bulldog was in Leo's face a bit to much. Or, even that Leo was initiating play... it's a bit difficult for me to get a picture of what happened because of the typos but I think I got the picture. Both Ami and Archer frequently have each other's heads in their mouths at one time or another. Also, the way you describe Leo as a bit growlie sounds a lot like when Archer is deliberately taunting Ami with a toy just put of reach and Ami is saying "hey...I want to play too"

Man this was difficult to write...damn autocomplete came up with some doozies lol! not as good as the post where I was writing" "husky" and it came out "whiskey" every time but rather incomprehensible, just the same.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 pm

I read this earlier and was gonna say basically the same thing as Amy. I do not think Leo is being possessive or aggressive. He's being a husky.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 10:31 pm

sigh of relief, just got a bit worried cause he has never done anything like this before. people usually bring thing in like balls and freebies but he just chases the dogs to see whats so interesting and shows no real interest in them at all. his just wants someone to chase him around.

thanks for the reassurance it means a lot. Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 6:13 pm

i had even more conformation that you guys are right.
he was playing with his friend Maggie. they wrestled and chased each other for a wail. then she deiced to get a stick and Leo was
'oooo" i want that and the chase was on. the zigzag-ed all over the place. Maggie deiced to just drop the stick, an Leo just bit it in half and dropped it. and then found a bigger stick lol and laid down to chew it.
then Maggie laid down of to the side and very cutely incised "can i have that stick" and a peace was sticking out and she when to get it and he covered it with his hand, it was very cute. when he least suspected it she snatched it and the chase was on again. the ran at full speed left and right, then she dropped it again and he took it then dropped it when a new dog came in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?   how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive? Empty

Back to top Go down

how do you know if your dog is toy possessive/aggressive?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1