It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw food and behaviour.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

Female Join date : 2016-01-28

Raw food and behaviour.  Empty
PostSubject: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 2:53 pm

We got an 11 week old last week and the breeder said they would sometimes give him raw meat along with his kibble. So the last 2 nights we gave him some raw venison for his tea instead of the kibble and I just think it sends him mental! He goes mad sniffing around the room and seems to have got really hyper and not listening after he's had it. Is it best to just stick to his kibble?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

There is no association to raw and behavior. He may just be happy eating what he truly prefers. Watch the venison, for the time being, because it is super lean, and can give tummy upset until pup is used to the meat. Small portions for a few weeks and then you can gradually add more. I have fed a partial raw diet to both of my girls starting at 12 weeks old and they have a wonderful coat and with raw meaty bones beautiful teeth, and no over excited behavior.
Back to top Go down
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks! It was small portions and he just wolfs it down. Barely even chewed it.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

If you can get past holding raw, cut up into bite size pieces, and teach sit and wait and gentle and then get it. I feed raw this way with both of my girls. It teaches them manners with food, let's them understand you bring yummy stuff to them, and it will calm them down and slow them down in the eating department. One of my most favorite pics of my girls, sitting and waiting for their raw....

Raw food and behaviour.  Sam_0822
Back to top Go down
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

That would be a job for my boyfriend I don't like touching raw meat lol. The breeder never told us to do it that way. Would you do that for a meal or just as something inbetween?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 4:19 pm

I feed as a small meal, a few ounces to supplement the kibble, so I feed slightly less kibble. The hand feeding is very useful in establishing a bond and trust. In another month or so Zeus will start in on his mouthy phase and may start nipping at you, by hand feeding now (can be kibble, doesn't have to be raw), will establish some training, listening skills, focus on you, and understand your hands are not a toy. How did your breeder recommend raw feeding?
Back to top Go down
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm

We are training him a bit with food now. Making him wait til he can get it and if he's getting a treat he needs to sit first
He just told us to break off a chunk and leave him to eat it. Not a bite size chunk he said size of your palm.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Did he make mention on lowering kibble amounts? That is fine to feed raw that way, but just like kibble you can hand feed. You do want a lean dog, less stress on growing bones and joints. Huskies typically eat 20-25% less than food recommendations listed on bags of kibble. So you would be replacing one meal of raw instead of kibble.
Back to top Go down
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 6:04 pm

No he didn't mention that. But they said they just left the food out all day, we are doing 3 set meals a day.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 4:32 pm

Three meals a day is fine, but I do not recommend leaving out the food all day. This encourages grazing, and quite often with many dogs grazing produces heavy dogs, or picky eaters. Give him about 15 to 20 minutes to eat and then pick it up. And never leave raw out, this will produce bacteria quickly and can make a tummy upset.
Back to top Go down
Zoeyvonne
Newborn
Newborn
Zoeyvonne

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Yeh we leave it for a few mins then take away. Could tell he wasn't used to 3 meals the first few days he only ate a little bit, definitely eating more now
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm

BTW, he is a beautiful guy!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw food and behaviour.    Raw food and behaviour.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw food and behaviour.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1