It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 10:31 am

Hi! My name is Jessica and we added Alpha to our family yesterday. He was born on December 15, and we are starting the house training process (going ok so far). I have never had a husky before but I have had many years on dog experience (worked in an animal shelter and coordinated rescue for dogs for many years). This is the first time I have had a puppy in a really long time so I thought I would join for some puppy care refreshers! We do have another dog named Charley, no idea what she is, she is a rescue who is heartworm + and currently undergoing her treatment. I may share about her on occasion if it's allowed. I am noticing our new puppy has a lot of dandruff, is this typical of huskies? He has his first vet visit with us on Monday. Thanks in advance! Looking forward to meeting you all!
Hi everyone! Image11
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Welcome to the forum Jessica!! You have a cutie. If you live in a cold climate, where it is dry, or you use heat in the house dandruff is an issue for some huskies. Dependent on Alpha's diet, I would use coconut oil and rub it into his fur, you can also add a teaspoon of coconut oil, olive oil, or fish oil into his food start at a teaspoon and work up to a tablespoon a day. You can use all 3 oils, and switch out and give every other day, if as an adult still has the issue you can give once a day. Some dogs just require more fat than others. I would also limit baths in winter, and opt for baby wipes with aloe for instances to keep him clean, although they are remarkable at self cleaning. lastly I have a non husky too, and I show her off as often as my Miya, so yes we love all dogs here!! can't wait to see more pics of your little pack.
Renee
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you so much! I have no idea what his previous diet is, I got him from a backyard breeder (and I know I'll catch some flack for that, I know you aren't supposed to, I know why and all of the reasons but the picture she posted of him broke my heart, he was surrounded by trash and feces and I wanted to get him out of the situation, so my fiancé and I talked about it and got him). We just got him home yesterday so the dandruff was already present, we're swapping his diet and he'll have his first vet visit with us on Monday. I did have to bathe him yesterday, but I can't tell you the last time I bathed our other dog... Lol. I'm a bathe only when necessary type. So hopefully it's a good issue and putting him on a better diet will help. And we are from Georgia unfortunately so not much cold weather. I can start with some olive oil today though and see if it helps! Thanks for the welcome!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 pm

You are most welcome!! If the weather is dry and he was an outdoor dog that may be the issue. I am not a big bath person either. as far as food..high quality grain free seems to work best for huskies. Good luck and again, can't wait to see more pics!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Welcome to the forum! Smile Alpha is adorable!

Being a puppy, some things can be out of whack for a little while, but like Renee said, getting him on a quality grain free kibble is a great start. His previous living conditions probably have a lot to do with it but that is behind him now Wink See what the vet says about it on Monday and just go from there. Smile

Can't wait to see more pics
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 7:17 pm

He has such a sweet face. Welcome to the forum!

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forum. You'll excuse me if I say the guy has a "What's going on??" look in your picture of him, but I'm sure that'll change as he becomes more comfortable!

Let's see if I catch flak for phrasing this this way - since you've already said that you're from Georgia, would you mind updating your profile so that us old curmudgeons don't have to try to remember where you are, please?

And of course you're invited to share pictures and stories about all the rest of your four footed pack ( and your two footed pack as well if they don't object Smile ) As Renee saud, we love all the four footed animals here, even cats, but most of us are Husky people.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I gave Alpha some olive oil when we fed him this afternoon, so following the advice! I'll definitely update my profile.

Another photo of Alpha:
Hi everyone! Image13h

Family photo, myself, my son, and the fiancé:

Hi everyone! Image14

And this is Charley, our rescue pup:

Hi everyone! Image15

And lastly our kitties Saria (short haired tabby) and Ruto (long haired gray and white), both boys:

Hi everyone! Image16

We also have a beta fish named Goldie and a Female Russian tortoise named Pops.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 9:23 pm

hi, welcome to the forums. beautiful fury babies and nice family portrait.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Nice truck. I grew up with a '79 Ford, a couple years newer than that one. You have one good lookin' little brood there.

Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Aw beautiful family Smile
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks y'all! It feels crazy around here with a puppy in the house! Still adjusting!

And on the truck comment, it's my great grandfathers. He and my son are really close do we used it as a back drop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone!   Hi everyone! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-