It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What to feed at 8 weeks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lt. dan
Newborn
Newborn
lt. dan

Male Join date : 2016-02-22

What to feed at 8 weeks Empty
PostSubject: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Hello all,

Yesterday I brought home my 8 week old Puppy. I am a first time dog/husky owner and have no clue what would be best for my pup. The breeder was feeding the puppies Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete twice a day. I plan on feeding my puppy at least 3 times a day. Could someone please point me in the right direction on which food would help my puppy grow properly?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Dan, what your breeder was feeding is not all that bad, there is a few members here who also feed Diamond. I do recommend grain free, and a quality brand. Stick to a puppy blend is best, but an all life stage is ok, although, puppy food includes dha which is important the first 4 or 5 months of life, which can't be found in all of the all life stage foods. Dha will show up as fish oil in the ingredients list. To be honest I wasn't aware of that, and at 4 months did switch to an all life stage, but I really think it's major impact of dha (it's for growing minds and eyes) is for puppies under 6 months, and probably under 4 or 5 months. If money isn't a problem Acana, Fromm are probably the best out there. Diamond, 4 health, Taste of the Wild, and Nature's domain come in a close to the Acana and Fromm, and are somewhat cheaper. Earthborn I highly recommend, but do not believe they offer a puppy food. Btw, although I did switch to an all life stage at 4 months, I do not believe it negatively impacted my girl, fwiw.....
Back to top Go down
lt. dan
Newborn
Newborn
lt. dan

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 7:06 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
Dan, what your breeder was feeding is not all that bad, there is a few members here who also feed Diamond. I do recommend grain free, and a quality brand. Stick to a puppy blend is best, but an all life stage is ok, although, puppy food includes dha which is important the first 4 or 5 months of life, which can't be found in all of the all life stage foods. Dha will show up as fish oil in the ingredients list. To be honest I wasn't aware of that, and at 4 months did switch to an all life stage, but I really think it's major impact of dha (it's for growing minds and eyes) is for puppies under 6 months, and probably under 4 or 5 months. If money isn't a problem Acana, Fromm are probably the best out there. Diamond, 4 health, Taste of the Wild, and Nature's domain come in a close to the Acana and Fromm, and are somewhat cheaper. Earthborn I highly recommend, but do not believe they offer a puppy food. Btw, although I did switch to an all life stage at 4 months, I do not believe it negatively impacted my girl, fwiw.....

Thanks for replying so fast! The breeder gave us enough food to last us till tonight. I'm going to buy a bag of the Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete. Would buying a fish oil supplement be ok to compensate the lack of DHA in the all life stage?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Dan yes it would....fish or krill oil are fine.....
Back to top Go down
jspec0482
Puppy
Puppy
jspec0482

Female Join date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Sticking with what your breeder fed is a good idea! It makes the transition a bit smoother
Back to top Go down
lt. dan
Newborn
Newborn
lt. dan

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for all the info and help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to feed at 8 weeks   What to feed at 8 weeks Empty

Back to top Go down

What to feed at 8 weeks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1