It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How much exercise do your huskies get?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarah20
Puppy
Puppy
Sarah20

Female Join date : 2015-11-04

huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? Empty
PostSubject: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Hey everyone!

I am curious as to how many walks/ exercise do you all give your Huskies per day and how old are they? Some people say Huskies need over an hour of running a day but I find that a bit much. What are your thoughts? bounce
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:03 am

When my son's dog, archer is staying with us, the 2 dogs romp incessantly. The first day, maybe 10 hours with only brief beaks for water or meals. By day 3 its down to 2-3 hours in the morning, a long nap till mid afternoon then another 3 or so hours. Dinner, another few hours nap and a final hour or so late evening play than sleep for the night.

When Ami is here alone... well let's just say on Monday, husband walked him 3.5 miles early afternoon, dog was itching for more by 5 pm. So i gave him 3 miles... very briskly, by the way. We still had a significant episode of zoomies at 2 am. And i declared him too wound up to sleep anywhere but in our bedroom with the door shut...I didn't want chewed up furniture in the morning.

Before son got archer, Ami got 2 miles on the morning, 3 miles in the late afternoon and a final 1 - 1.5 miles before bed. Now, I'm an old lady, my walking speed at best is 3.4 -3.6 mph. Ami was still full of energy and bouncy...I never saw him tired out until archer came into the picture, maybe if I could run it would different. Im working up to using my walky dog bike attachment to see if we can tire Ami that way. We'll see...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 am

Ami is 3.5 yrs old, Archer is 2.5 yrs old.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:15 am

I walk my 3 year old about 2 miles a day on average. That sometimes takes an hour with all the sniffing and peeing he has to do. Rolling Eyes However I live in south Louisiana so sometimes he'll only get 1 mile when it's really hot and he's fine with that.

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 am

simplify wrote:
I walk my 3 year old about 2 miles a day on average. That sometimes takes an hour with all the sniffing and peeing he has to do.  Rolling Eyes  However I live in south Louisiana so sometimes he'll only get 1 mile when it's really hot and he's fine with that.

Oops, right. That above is fall through spring. Summer? He'sa s furry rug lol!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:45 am

Besides all the running around my two do in the yard, they get a one mile or so walk in the morning before I leave for work (but that's not every morning, sometimes they don't wanna get up Rolling Eyes ) and their evening walk is 5 miles (it's a pretty intensive 5 miles too, my neighborhood is built on hills and some of these hills are straight up) and its every night, rain included, and it's spring, summer, fall, and winter. If it's too hot, I take them when the sun goes down and I take water with me. I also have friends along the way that leave bowls of water out for them (pretty cool huh) weekends the only thing I might add is a trip up the mountain with them or on rare occasions, around the lake (they're not too enthusiastic about the lake walk though) and for ages, Kohdi will be 3 on the 17th of this month, and Mishka will be 2 on the 27th of this month. Just an example here, we just now came back from our 5 Mike walk, I'm in the backyard while these two are running around like there's no tomorrow, haha. Soon they will sleep though!!! And tomorrow begins another day, haha.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 am

i walk Leo for about 40 mins to an hour every morning and another 30 mins to an hour at night; rain or shine. during the warmer months of the year he dose about 20-30 mins morning and night and he is very happy. i also play with him for about 5-20 mins that's if he want to play with me lol. we also got biking when the weather is good. he is 1 year and 9 months.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:46 am

Zhukov (Husky) and Colby (Mini-Schnauzer) usually get two 1/2 hour-1 hour outside romps on nice days. I will throw the ball for Colby, but Zhukov could care less for the ball and just chases Colby around.

Usually in the house, they will have a couple of good wrestling sessions that involve Zhukov nipping at Colby's stump of a tail and Colby acting all tough, but afterwards they will curl up in the sun together.

Zhukov hates the car rides. He usually sits in a corner and whines, while Colby has his head out of the window and tries to figure out if we are either going to Petco or the vet.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 8:19 am

Age plays a big deal. Up to one year, they're joints are still developing, so while it's fine to play and romp with them, walks and running should be limited. I believe the rule is they can do 5 minutes of exercise like walking on concrete per month. So at 8 months, a pup should go on no longer than a 40 minute walk.

The teenage years are a whole other story! Yes, an hour is the minimum I would recommend unless you want your house eaten.

We're in Florida, so our routine changes on the time of year. My dog is over 4 years old now.

She goes for an hour walk in the morning, a half hour after work, and an hour in the evening every day. During the colder months, she also needs a good half hour of rough play/fetching/training to tucker her out.

When it's hot, we cut it down to 30-45 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes after work, and 30 minutes in the evening. The hottest of days, 95+, we'll take her to Petco or Petsmart, put on her backpack, and will walk her around the store for forty minutes in air conditioning.

My dog is a typical high energy pup and shows no signs of slowing down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Cora gets a 3 hour hike and play session every other day. On our off days I play fetch with her for 30 mins or we go on a 30 min walk. Cora and I also train for 30 mins every day so maybe that's why she has less exercise then other dogs. She is 10 and a half months old.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Not counting the playing he does inside and in the yard, I try to take them for a walk in the evening around the block. That's about half a mile. It's been really cold lately, so my daughter and I don't tolerate being outside much longer than that. Suka is three months old, so it's about right for him. I read somewhere that he should get 5 minutes of exercise for every month old he is. For a three-month-old, that'd be 15 minutes. This isn't counting the playing he does around the house.

When he's an adult, I'll be using him for bikejoring on a near-daily basis, and that'll take about 30-60 minutes per day, which is about what a Husky will need. As a teenager, I used to run my Huskies alongside my bike and they loved it. It's a great way to exercise them that's low impact for you. The best part is they can go at their own speed because you'll be able to keep up rather than have them pull you everywhere. LOL
Back to top Go down
gretalutsen
Teenager
Teenager
gretalutsen

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm

We take Lutsen on a 20-25 minute walk around the neighborhood atleast 5 days a week (the 5 minute for every month of age rule of thumb!)

We also have lots of fun playing with him in the back yard. He is still a puppy so he gets tired out pretty easily which I know won't last! Also, he is officially good on all of his shots needed to go to the dog park and we have one within walking distance of our house. The past two days he has been able to go and that tuckers him out pretty fast!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 11:37 pm

We're on the upper end of the exercise spectrum here, mine run with me 3 times per week and we do walks on most of the non-run days. When I say run, our "short" runs are 3-4 miles, but I will have to throttle it back as it gets warmer (them not me, I'm a touch insane and got the silly notion to run a half ironman in September), I've found they don't do well above about 78. Mine actually did a half marathon with me last month Smile

huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? 1BB66331-CD44-4E45-BCAC-6E8AB3332E27_zpseswkavls

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 3:27 am

There's a wonderful open field park that has four soccer fields and is only 5 minutes away from my house. Mylo and I go there every day, mid-day.
[I go to college at night so I have free time during the morning and afternoon]
Most of the time we go at around noon or 11am. It's great cause there's no one there that early!
We to start with a walk around the park (around 10 mins) and then we play ball for 5-8 mins, then we take a little 5min break and on to 2nd round of play with a rope (about 10 mins). He loves the rope...We run the entire soccer field together probably twice or three times as I'm holding up the rope, he's jumping for it, we play tug, I'll throw it, sometimes he goes on a zoomie when I throw it. Then finally we do a final walk around the field head back to the car, drink it up and head home and eats lunch shortly after he cools off a bit then he's down for the count for the next 2 to 3 hours.
Annd Repeat! I love spending time with my boy Smile
Oh and when it's warmer (which it is getting warmer down here) I'll tone it down a little with the playing and we will just have one round of play and do some more walking.
On the weekends, especially on Sunday..we don't have park time but he does have his little brother Prince that he wrestles with endlessly through the the day at my girlfriends house while I'm away Sunday mornings-afternoons.

This boy still sleeps a lot like he's still a little puppy..he's out by 9pm and I wake him up at 8:30 am just cause I give him breakfast at 9am. But I'm sure he could probably keep sleeping until noon if I don't awaken him lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am

When my boy was younger, about 2 hours of walks and 20-30 minutes of actual running each day. Now at 11 years old (and with arthritis) he gets about an hour of walking and does about 5-10 minutes of running a day. People we meet while out walking still think he's a puppy though!

Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 3:05 pm

We have a pretty set routine that varies a little bit depending on weather but this our weekly regiment.
Monday/Wednesday/Friday - 1-1.5 hour walk or 45-60 bike ride right when i get home
Tuesday/Thursday - Daycare (10 hours of play)
Saturday/Sunday - Dogpark for 1-2 hours in the morning, 30-60 min walk later on

She adds playing fetch in to pretty much everyday's routine at some point for about 15 minutes or so (normally shortly after her dinner) always gives her a burst of energy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much exercise do your huskies get?   huskies - How much exercise do your huskies get? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much exercise do your huskies get?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1