It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New puppy! Questions and concerns!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

New puppy! Questions and concerns!  Empty
PostSubject: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:13 am

Hello. Need some advice on a couple of things.  

I'm concerned about my pups age . I think the breeder might have lied about age . She looks pretty young . What do you guys think on how many weeks she is? He said it was 7 1/2 weeks old . Also she weighs 5lbs.

She has tear stains which doesn't look like is an infection since the white of her eyes are WHITE and not red . Would like some advice to see what I can do to get rid of the stain .

Last question lol. About her coat color. When I went to pick her up I was told that she was white coated and as far as I can tell she is white but has kinda like a blonde tint. Does her cost get whiter over time or is she just going to have a blonde tinted white coat ??

Thanks in advance guys .!

New puppy! Questions and concerns!  20160317
New puppy! Questions and concerns!  20160316
New puppy! Questions and concerns!  20160318

Last edited by David Ibanez on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:25 am

Two good lookin dogs there!

Did your breeder provide any paperwork with her? You should have gotten some kind of vet paperwork. This may or may not have her weight on it, but is supposed to have her whelp date. That being said, I just went through our "Weigh in" thread and weights are all over the place. At 8 weeks, anywhere from 6 to 13 lbs. Give her a couple of weeks and see what kind of growth she has.

As to the tears, have that checked out. My Husky has black around his eyes, and their fur is almost self cleaning, so I never noticed any discharge around his eyes. However, my Schnauzer developed a stain around his eyes and mouth that my vet said was from his change of diet. The vet suggested that I keep an eye on his diet and also recommended giving him filtered water instead of straight out of the tap water.

With colors, it is way to early to tell, I think. Zhukov started out as BLACK and white and over the past 3 months, more white is developing underneath the black and some grey is starting to show up. Only time will tell.

Regardless, enjoy your puppy! If this is your first Husky, welcome to the ride!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 am

Good comments Mark^^^^

5 lbs seems a bit small but she could be a little one as it does not seem to far off for full litter of pups at 7.5 weeks. My puppies have come from small litters so they have always been on the large size. She looks like a 7.5 week pup and would not have guessed that she was only 5 lbs from the pictures.

Tears I think they have some "no tears type solutions" for the eyes but I have never encountered the problem. I know there are supplements and removers out there but I have not bought any. Some dogs are naturally more likely to have visible tear stains because of their breed and coloration. Huskies are not a standard breed but the color could get stained even if it is not a breed standard thing. There could be excessive tearing that is involved with this situation. I would check with your vet.
As a holistic approach check out Vinegar pH Balancing:
Many times tear staining is caused by a pH imbalance in an animal’s system. You can help to rebalance your pet’s pH by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to its daily drinking water. This will help to elminiate the staining of the tears. You first might want to check the quality of food and make sure your pup is on a high quality food and this might help right away with out the vinegar.

Color ...my Vlad have gone from red to dilute red to almost white back to buff in his 12 weeks. Most light colored huskies do a lot of color and markings changes in the first year especially during the first 6 mos. Your pup could get light or darker it just depends on it genetics.

Have fun with the new pup!!!! Check out our previous posts as there is a lot of good information on the forum asked over the years. (The search functions can help alot.)

David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:01 am

Thank you all for the reply. She didn't come with any papers. He only gave me a vaccine record . I have a digital scale that I used to weigh her and it measures pounds and Oz. I have a vet scheduled for tomorrow so we'll see what they say . And this is my second pup Smile I got Skye 3 years ago when she was 12wks and Nova 3 days ago . Buy when I did first saw her she did look heavier because of all the fluff lol. Thanks for the ideas for the stains and the coat .

Right now I have her on Nature's Recipe puppy food. But she doesn't seem to like eating much . Maybe she's getting used to the new home ?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am

It takes time for puppies to get used to a new place and new food. If the breeder was feeding him a cut rate food before and you switched him to Nature's Recipe which is an okay food (3 stars on dog food advisor) it will take time to get his body used to the change of recipe and many low end foods have a lot of flavor and scent additives that draw a dog to them that good quality foods don't have. Watching

Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:17 am

TwisterII wrote:
It takes time for puppies to get used to a new place and new food. If the breeder was feeding him a cut rate food before and you switched him to Nature's Recipe which is an okay food (3 stars on dog food advisor) it will take time to get his body used to the change of recipe and many low end foods have a lot of flavor and scent additives that draw a dog to them that good quality foods don't have. Watching

OK thank you that makes me feel a bit a ease. I notice too that she stumbles a lot when she walks kinda seems like she's drunk. Is this normal since she's so young?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:30 am

Vlad was a bit lazy and a clutz at 8 weeks. Try to get a video for your vet.

David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:31 am

HuskyLear wrote:

Video of the pup ?
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:34 am

HAHAHA! Zhukov was like a drunken sailor! Especially on a hardwood/non-carpeted floor. Even now, when I take him to Petco, he will sprawl out on their linoleum floor. He has to walk near the display racks to feel comfortable. Early on, even on carpet, it was like his feet were on the wrong legs.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:37 am

David Ibanez wrote:

HuskyLear wrote:

Video of the pup ?

If you are concerned and it seems more than puppy clutz. Yep video the pup when she stumbles and walks kinda seems like she's drunk just in case she does not do it while at the vet.  If you are concerned. I never thought it looked like Vlad was drunk but he walked into walls turned too fast and hit his head fell over his feet which are all "drunk" things.  But I am not sure if it is the same as you mean... he never seemed stumble like he was dizzy or  like he got into something and it was effecting him. I just thought it was him getting used to the new surroundings and the new dogs. He even now sprawls on the laminate when he gets going or I have seen him trip up the stairs! So it is probably a puppy thing.

David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:48 am

Yeah she slides a lot around the house and she stumbles outside. But we don't have any carpet either so maybe that's not helping haha
Back to top Go down
David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:27 pm

Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:29 pm

I see normal puppy action and balance there myself

SOOOOOOOO cute

David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Ok thanks. Guess in just freaking out for no reason lol.
Back to top Go down
David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Actually today she threw up and there was a worm in it and she had diarrhea! Sad
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Oh no. Better get her tested for parasites, some are contagious between dogs. Good thing she has an appointment tomorrow. Make sure she stays hydrated maybe some broth to get her to drink a lot. I think roundworms can be vomited. Do you know if the vaccine record shows she has been dewormed yet? The vet can give deworm and test then they will do it again in several weeks.

David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 pm

Well we freaked out and made it for today . The breeder never had her dewar med.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 6:45 pm

UGH! Worms suck! Zhukov went through 2 different meds over 3 weeks and it was the worst. Poor guy was pooping like it was the end of the world. Fortunately, I found this forum and got some great advice and by the end of the week, POOF! Worms were gone.

I also read up on the food section of the forums and found out that Huskies can have sensitive stomachs, so I ended up getting him on a limited ingredient dog food, which really helped.

Make sure you go through all of the old posts. A lot of questions that I didn't even know I had were answered. Lots of knowledge here.
Back to top Go down
David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Yes I thank all of you guys for the advice I'm getting here. I'm so glad I found a husky forum! Doctor is giving her some canned prescription medicine and also they gave her b12 shot with fluid because they said she was really loopy and seemed lethargic. She didn't have a favor tho . We're still here at the vet waiting . Their sending me home with a fecal tube since she didn't go poop when they did it. I have to bring it back tomorrow in the am. I feel so bad for her right now .
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 7:06 pm

If her coat has a bit of cream coloring to it, she would be considered an Isabella White, but her coat color could change as she becomes an adult until that cream color fades altogether.

She does look really small for 7 1/2 weeks, but some Huskies run on the small side. So it's really hard to say for sure if the breeder lied to you or not. Does she sleep a lot? If so, I would believe her closer to five weeks. If she is really active and only sleeps half of the time, that's about normal for an 8 week old.
Back to top Go down
David Ibanez
Newborn
Newborn
David Ibanez

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 pm

She does seem to sleep a lot but then again she has been sick. Not eating, dehydrated and was throwing up. Today we've had her for 4 days and today she has been pretty active since they gave her some meds and hydration shots . Today she hasn't had diarrhea or vomiting . And the vet prescribed puppy food that's called A/D and she has been keeping it down. Just took her poop in today so now I'm waiting to see what they say tomorrow or the day after.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New puppy! Questions and concerns!    New puppy! Questions and concerns!  Empty

Back to top Go down

New puppy! Questions and concerns!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1