It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking to add Puppy to the Family

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 12:54 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Why not?

Eyes and Hips or OFA checked, liters come with Pedigree, I do not see any miss-breed liters showing breed defects. I don't know what I could have missed?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:17 am

Ok, now that I got that off my chest. They are not any better at all compared to the other places that you have mentioned. If they are on the SHCA site, I will eat my fake hat. There are a few threads on the forum that have mentioned this "breeder" , they breed several different breeds, and the breed several different bitches, and have a continuous flow of puppies. They are not listed on the SHCA website. Look at the ages of the two, think of it this way, they have 2 litters of puppies, that you know of, that are 2 weeks apart, how can anyone give all their best to say 16 puppies? They can't. Please click the link that husky mom gave you, and look through those breeders....here's the link again

http://www.shca.org/shcahp4f.htm

There are soooooo many breeder listed there 20 in NY state, I remember correctly you are in the North east? I know you want to get a puppy, and it does seem like the wait is forever. Honestly the wait is worth it, getting a quality puppy, from a reputable breeder, is more important to you than you think. You want a pup with a good temperament, since you will be having children. Contact these breeders, they may be having pups soon, or already on the ground, or ask if they have an older puppy, nothing wrong, and probably way easier for you to get a pup that is 4-8 months old. many times breeders take the pick of the litter to either work them in harness or for show, and then after evaluating them they will not fit that spot, absolutely nothing at all wrong with the pup, just their tail set may be too high to show in conformation, or whatever, they were after all the first pic to the breeder, that means that dog is something even more special than the rest. Please do not get upset with me, but you will find the right pup, just this "breeder" isn't it. I think this is great that you are putting up potential breeders, believe me in the long run, you will be happy you took all this time looking.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:19 am

Let me add, that many of the breeders listed under SHCA will not have a website, or they have an old website. Many times they have pups and they just don't list. I am sorry about this, but the bestakc is not the one.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:35 am

I second DO NOT BUY FROM THIS BREEDER. This is a puppy mill- dogs that have obvious structural faults being and poor representatives of the breed in their breeding program. No actual links or certification numbers to verify their health testing claims through OFA (highly suspicious). Sheer number of breeding animals and planned litters, a huge red flag. What makes them a "top quality breeder" other than they claim so? No titles, no performance proven dogs...this is just a quick assessment-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 am

Honestly, if you are willing to drive that far and pay that kind of money. I'd suggest Highlander Siberians or Karnovanda Siberians in Michigan....at least they are transparent, upfront breeders with proven dogs-
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:59 am

I agree with Huskymom 100% I actually recommended Karnovanda earlier in the thread. Again, I would contact the breeders Huskymom just mentioned, I looked but Karnovanda didn't list any available puppies, but that doesn't mean they don't have any.
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:14 am

Contacted both of them, they have no plans for liters in the next 6 months. I will keep looking.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:17 am

Well are you looking for the right puppy or the puppy right now?  Six months is not an unrealistic expectation for responsible breeder to ask if they want to get to know you before placing one of their get in your care.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 12:14 am

I agree with Huskymom 6 months is not unrealistic at all. I waited 18 months for my Male - the first 6 months of that was just getting to know my breeder and her dogs the 12 months after that was on a waiting list while the litter she planned came to fruition. I decided I wanted another when my male was a year old and I was hoping for another pup by the time he was 2 but I knew the bitch line I wanted and I was prepared to wait for it - the 12 months I had planned on waiting turned into just over 2 years and I finally got my precious girl 2 weeks ago and she is everything I dreamed of and more Smile
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 2:15 pm

I know six months can feel like a really long time when you're eager for a puppy, but the right dog is worth the wait. I friended Suka's breeder on Facebook back in July, and she didn't have the litter Suka was a part of until November. I didn't commit to buying him until December, and he came home with me February 1st. That was a total wait of 7 months.

On another occasion, I really wanted a Turkish Angora. I had long admired the breed, but they're still considered rare and quite pricey. After some time, I contacted Azima Angoras in Pennsylvania and told her I was interested in being added to her waiting list. She was the number one international breeder of Turkish Angoras. I was upfront that we weren't ready for a kitten just yet because we were about to move across the country, but I wanted to get on her waiting list because I figured it would be awhile anyway.

During the period of time between first contacting her and when I finally bought a cat, she had kittens available that she offered to me, but I wasn't financially ready for one yet. We were also still in the process of settling into our new home. About five months after I first contacted her, I drove six hours to her home and bought Aiko and Crystal. I got two cats for the price of one because Crystal was an adult and the breeder was having a hard time placing her with someone. Crystal was one of those cats that didn't do well around other cats and acted a bit neurotic as a result. So she gave Crystal to me for free, and she settled down and became a very loving cat once she settled into our home. Sadly, we don't have her anymore, but Aiko is nine years old now and very dear to me.

The right animal is always worth the wait. Smile
Back to top Go down
maguilera15
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 3:39 pm

carbon8 wrote:
Contacted both of them, they have no plans for liters in the next 6 months. I will keep looking.

I see your interested in getting another Husky. I'm selling mine but I live in Illinois.
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri May 06, 2016 11:17 pm

After my months long search, I found 3 breeders, all listed on the SHCA directory. Now I do have a concern, I contacted and reached out to all of them and two of them have puppies due next week I am first on ones list, and 5 on the other the last breeder had 3 puppies on February 7th, I was last on thee list before and the last puppy is available which is exactly what I have been looking for a black/white female with blue eyes, now unfortunately I was called away on business and will not be able to pick up the puppy until May 26th which the breeder is worried about the puppy being 4 months old at the time of pickup, not something I am overly concerned about as the baby is due in August I think it would be better to have the older pup.

Here is the link to the puppy and breeder, curious on all your thoughts.
http://www.amaroksiberians.com/pictures/marshall-x-haven/

The breeder just wants me to be certain, she feels a 4 month old will impact the bonding experience with me. I would be grateful for this pup so I am torn now.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri May 06, 2016 11:33 pm

I actually prefer older puppies and don't feel it has ever impacted "bonding". Keegan is 100% my dog even though he came to us at 22wks old. My husband jokes he may be a bit too bonded to me as he stares at me with big brown "I love you momma" eyes all the time.

Beyond that amorak is an awesome kennel.
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri May 06, 2016 11:39 pm

I think she is more worried about her bonding with the dog, its tough to sell a pup as it is, let alone after 4 months of caring for it.

I agree I would prefer an older pup than a new born as well.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2016 2:06 am

I have no experience on getting an "older" pup but oh my goodness, those pics are adorable!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Jimmy, yeh I had a look at the site as well. I know nothing about them but the site is impressive. If she isn't in advertising, she should be!

Wandered around the web site a bit; I like ....!!!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2016 10:17 pm

My girlfriend went down to visit the puppy today, she is big for a pup at 3 months about 16lb. Which I expected but the girlfriend still expected a ball of fluff. Hopefully we can pick her up, I guess she is very well crate trained she only sleeps in her crate, even for naps during the day. Owner does hand commands and clicker trainer with no negative instruction IE no saying "No" instead she ignores bad behavior which I know everyone has their own training method and I believe that is a great way to train, I do think that using the word "No" for unwanted behavior though is totally acceptable.

I'm glad we have some positive feedback here, feeling very lucky if I can take this beautiful girl home.
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 12:54 am

Good news, I get to take this beautiful girl home on the 26th. Feeling very excited.

Thanks again for helping me get to the right breeder, I am very happy to have come here first.
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 8:29 am

That's exciting! Which one is yours? All 3 are adorable.
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 8:32 am

Just looked again, it looks like the little reds have gone home already. <3 enjoy the pup!!! So cute.
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:40 am

I take home Mauja, the  black/White, she will be 16 weeks when I get her, she is 12 now and already crate trained sleeping through the night and very few accidents. Clicker trained for basic commands and very playful I could not be happier.

Some pictures
Maya - Siberian
Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 JnKEzr
Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 BohjeD

Jerrico - Malamute
Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 3GbqOe
Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 H1YPUn
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 6:14 pm

they are both very cute, love that last pic of Jerrico.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 6:36 pm

That's an adorable little puppy! I think getting an older puppy is great because they have better bladder control and they've learned some manners. You'll still have to deal with a lot of energy and some teething, but that shouldn't be too hard to get through. Just remember their teen phase can be brutal! But once they come out of it, they are great!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Awe, he is adorable! Congratulations! Smile

I love Jerrico! I used to have a Malamute (they are such great dogs) same color as Jerrico but not as fluffy. He was my dog growing up and had a husky along with him, they got along awesome together, they were like brothers!
Back to top Go down
carbon8
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2016 2:11 am

Thanks All!

Can't Wait to pick Maya up and watch her meet Jerrico, should have done this a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to add Puppy to the Family   Looking to add Puppy to the Family - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking to add Puppy to the Family

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next