It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More Empty
PostSubject: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:20 pm

We have been feeding our 4 month old husky Diamond puppy, and just recently got Taste Of The Wild to try and switch him over.

He will stop eating with food left in his bowl and then he will try and eat the other dogs food, which is considerably cheaper. But he won't go back to his food.

He weighs 27 pounds, we just took him to the vet yesterday for a check up. Would it be okay to mix his food in with some of the cheaper food he likes so much or should we just stick to the ones we are using now?
Back to top Go down
JessicaR
Newborn
Newborn
JessicaR

Female Join date : 2016-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:46 pm

That all depends on what you want to do about it. Personally I don't let my dogs tell me what they eat, but all of my dogs eat the same food. I would just give him what you want him to eat, give him 20 minutes to eat and if he doesn't finish it, tough, he will just have to wait until his next meal. If you don't mind him eating the other food then go ahead and mix it in.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:52 pm

I would mix it and make the change gradual - the diamond is not a horrible food, whatever people think about the recall history. At least it WAS recalled. And TOTW is made by Diamond (I feed TOTW without issues.) He may just be "used to what he's used to..."
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 6:09 pm

JessicaR wrote:
Personally I don't let my dogs tell me what they eat... I would just give him what you want him to eat, give him 20 minutes to eat and if he doesn't finish it, tough, he will just have to wait until his next meal.

Exactly my sentiments. My dogs eat what I give them, no ifs, ands or buts. And my dogs actually do eat different foods due to sensitivites and one requires supplements, so it is actually important that they eat what I feed them.

If any of my dogs don't eat, I will actually wait 20 minutes and then give their bowl to one of the other dogs while they watch. And they can sit there and watch their unwanted food get devoured by someone else and wait until their next meal for their regular food again. Works like a charm every time I've ever tried it. But that's just me and...disclaimer: I would never do that with a food aggressive or possessive dog.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 pm

I fed my dogs diamond naturals (grain free) up until recently (I've been switching to TOTW too since one of my dogs is getting older) and my girl was a little iffy going from diamond to TOTW too at first. I made the transition somewhat slow and she is starting to come around. I had no issues feeding the diamond naturals and was happy with it while I fed it.

Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I've been avoiding Diamond dog foods as much as possible due to the recalls, but after doing some research, I feel comfortable with it now. The salmonella they're often recalled for isn't bad for our dogs. It's bad for US, and it's one more reason why we should wash our hands after handling our dogs' food.

Anyway, Loki, to answer your question, if you're alright feeding your puppy the cheaper dog food, go ahead and mix it in. If you're adamant that he should eat TOTW, then refuse to let him eat the other stuff. He might refuse to eat for a day or so, but then he'll come around. They always do.

That being said, literally none of my pets ever liked Taste of the Wild. I feel bad making them eat something they hate as their primary nutrition, so I don't buy it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Maybe he thinks the other dog is getting something better? My dogs always try to eat the others food even though they are both on the same (Diamond Natural extreme athlete).
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Jenah wrote:
Maybe he thinks the other dog is getting something better? My dogs always try to eat the others food even though they are both on the same (Diamond Natural extreme athlete).

We play that game here, too. It's called "two dogs, two bones, I want your bone!" lol!

Ami and Archer are crazy about totw.

And I'm glad to see the distinction between "bad for people" and "bad for dogs." Medscape made that exact distinction way back when the dog food recalls first came out.
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 am

Amymeme - That's us all day long food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More 1625187496 Razz
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 am

From my understanding of kibble (I feed raw) - cheaper food normally adds a lot of things to increase the scent/flavor to make the dog want to eat it more which could be the cause of your dog wanting the cheaper food over the better food. I don't have facts on this but this it what I had been told at some point.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am

lepp1892 wrote:
From my understanding of kibble (I feed raw) - cheaper food normally adds a lot of things to increase the scent/flavor to make the dog want to eat it more which could be the cause of your dog wanting the cheaper food over the better food. I don't have facts on this but this it what I had been told at some point.

I'm not sure, but I believe its sprayed with "animal digest" - sales people in stores are always trying to give Ami dog biscuits and he typically just drops them on the floor. A few months ago, the Fedex guy gave Ami some biscuits and he LOVED them...I was really surprised and asked what brand. He said his vet told him to get the cheapest ones he could find - they have "animal digest" and the dogs love them. I looked up "animal digest" and am fairly revolted - it is a rendered product of all the leftovers of leftovers. BUt, apparantly tastes terrific if you're a dog Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More   food - Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Likes Cheap Dog Food More

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1