It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Should I keep my dog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
afontaine
Newborn
Newborn

Should I keep my dog? Empty
PostSubject: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm

I work as a roughneck in the oilfield, and my job requires me to be gone for two weeks out of the month at a time. Its a good job, but with my wife and I getting separated, there will be nobody to watch my dog while I am away. I am also moving from a house in North Carolina to an apartment in PA. I really love my dog, but I dont know if it would be fair to her for me to keep her, for a few reasons. One, huskies arent typically good apartment dogs, and she will be an only dog with nobody to play with. The main thing that scares me is having to put her in a kennel for so long. I just dont know what effect it would have on her, I dont have much experience with kennels. Any advice would be wonderful! Im not sure what to do
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Huskies can easily be an apartment dog. Mine was the first 8 months of his life.

I'd look into day cares in the area near you. We have one and it's an awesome one and I would totally leave my dogs there if I needed to go somewhere.
Back to top Go down
afontaine
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I found a really good one, but I dont know if it will be ok keeping her there so much. Im thinking huskies may be better suited to it than other breeds though, theyre so pack oriented. Mine loves other dogs, and the more the better!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 pm

If you can afford it and find a good one, dog daycare is great. I think my two would be happier in doggie day care all day than sitting at my boring house all day! lol.

Should I keep my dog? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 am

My two do fine in the apartment as long as they get some exercise
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am

Where in PA are u moving I'm from there and trying to think of where oil is...

Just throwing it out there but there is a PA husky group on FB and maybe u could make husky friends and they could take your girl every 2 weeks, like a second home? Or look for a house sitter they might take her to their home for the 2 weeks. Or a doggie daycare with boarding. I would not take her to a kennel where she is stuck in a dog run alone the whole time. Maybe see if there is a husky rescue in the area that could offer some advice for the 2 weeks. Personally finding her a new home would be last on my list. Those 2 weeks u are home having her around will be great for u. And huskies are great chick magnets for when u are ready to start dating again Wink

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:37 am

jbealer wrote:
And huskies are great chick magnets for when u are ready to start dating again Wink

Laughing so true! we went to a dog expo tonight and i left my boyfriend with embry while i took my 10 year old sister with zoey to use the bathroom. I come back and he's surrounded by college girls awing over Embry, he told me if we ever break up Embry is going with him LMAO
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Surrendering my dog would be the very LAST resort.

If you can find a good doggy daycare that does boarding, they may have package deals which may give you a discount if you need to leave her for a couple of weeks at a time. Ask if they have unlimited package deals...it'll get you a bigger discount. She gets to play, she'll get the socialization with other dogs, and you get to keep her.

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 1:03 am

Where in Pa If close By Id be More Than Glad to Help u Out When ur Not There or What Not !~ ..; My Pack LOves Other Doggies too !~
DOnt Surrender if u DOnt have to .. I Lived YEars in An Apartment With 2 Huskies ~
Good Luck .. Im near Pa md Line In Gettyburg ~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I keep my dog?   Should I keep my dog? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I keep my dog?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-