It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Am I feeding enough?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tacokorbitz
Newborn
Newborn

Am I feeding enough? Empty
PostSubject: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 6:15 pm

We brought Taco home on Thursday! He is a super sweet dog and we don't have any issues with him! I do have one question concerning food. I have always had chubby round puppies growing up and Taco isn't. I'm feeding him three times a day at the amount the food bag says. He is not skinny but he's also not a round little tank like I'm used to. Is this normal for huskies? Also he's more Alaskan than Siberian if that makes a difference. I'll post pics when I get a chance to bring out my computer.
Back to top Go down
Loki_Weston
Puppy
Puppy
Loki_Weston

Male Join date : 2016-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Our vet, and many others have told us that using the dog food bag as a guide, is usually OVER feeding. Our vet suggested to go 15% less than what the bag says, which is what we have been doing. What kind of food are you feeding him, just for reference?
Back to top Go down
Tacokorbitz
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 9:05 pm

We are feeding Natures Domain puppy food from Costco.
Back to top Go down
Loki_Weston
Puppy
Puppy
Loki_Weston

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 9:09 pm

How much does he weigh, and how old is he? What does the bag recommend to feed him?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 pm

I think having the Alaskan Husky in him could make a difference in how "skinny" he looks. I'd think though, that it would show more as an adult than at puppy stage. Im anxious to see the pics Smile
Back to top Go down
Tacokorbitz
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 pm

He is six weeks and 5lbs. I know we got him early, but he was fully weaned so it shouldn't be relevant.
Back to top Go down
Loki_Weston
Puppy
Puppy
Loki_Weston

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 2:17 am

The website is advising to feed 3/4-1 1/4 cups pers day, i would say as long as your in that neighborhood you should be ok. How big was the litter he was from? Larger litters typically yield smaller pups, and smaller litters typically yield larger pups. This could have a lot to do with it.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 3:40 am

Along the lines of what Steve said, huskies in general eat 20-25% less than most dogs, and many huskies are self regulators. Also, Alaskan Huskies are a mix of Siberian husky and another breed, typically sight hound. Do you know what other breed he is? That would also help in understanding his size, and how much to feed.
Back to top Go down
Tacokorbitz
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 11:44 am

His litter started with ten but one didn't make it so it was a large litter. We are feeding him around 3/4 to 1 cup of food depending on his naps. If they can be self regulators should I be offering more food if he is looking for more when he's finished? His parents were both huskies as far as I know (we never met dad) but he has the shorter hair of an Alaskan which is why I am assuming he's Alaskan.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Well then, haha, it sound like you have a pup that is like my girl. She was the runt of the litter, the lightest in color, and the shortest of hair. All her siblings were fat little fluff butts but Miya, seen both parents so I do know that they were regular huskies, momma, may have had gsd since my girl trains like she is. Anyhow, she was never a chunky monkey and I would free feed her. Even with free feeding can't say it made much difference, she ate when she wanted to which wasn't much and that is the way she is, very lean adult. Being lean is truly a good thing. Better for their growing bones and joints. You can give him his total allotment for the day and see if he just munchies throughout, you can split the meals into 3 or 4 meals, you can add a little more if he seems hungry. Sometimes it is trial and error. If his poops become mushy you are feeding to much, or too much at one time. Are you feeding 3/4 to 1 cup a day? That would be too little food, imho, Steve was spot on as far as the package, but since he is a little on the small size I would go with the feeding of the 5-10 pound 6-12 week old recommendations, which is 2 cups. Gradually make the increase over a couple of days, I would feed 1/2 cup 4 times a day. If he is having pudding poops, then feed 3 times a day a half cup. My own personal opinion is this, Kirkland's is a real good food, so no issue with that, but their feeding guidelines are slightly off, you need to feed the max amount of food at 4-7 months old, so be watchful of that, you will want to steadily increase his food up until 7 months, if still small, then I would go to 8 months, after that age you want to slowly back off on the amount. As odd as it sounds my gsd puppy, who is 8 months old, decided at 7 months old to self regulate, and there are days where she only eats one meal a day, she too was on the very small side of her breed as well.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? EmptyWed Apr 20, 2016 2:18 pm

If you're really concerned about his weight, you can either increase his food or switch to a higher calorie kibble. Most kibble is around 375 kcal per cup, but you can find them higher than that. You may want to look at the high performance varieties, if possible. That should help if you think he's too skinny. Suka doesn't have the round belly I've seen on other puppies either. I've attributed it to being a Husky. If his ribs were showing, I'd be more concerned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I feeding enough?   Am I feeding enough? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I feeding enough?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1