It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Empty
PostSubject: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 am

Hey everyone! So ive been doing tons of research and finally found a husky for my little family Smile his name is Ragnar he's about 3 months old, as far as I know full husky but I got him from a lady Craigslist so not 100% sure but judging on his looks I think so. Only question I have is about his ears, sometimes they stand up i.e. When he is playing or excited and then they flop down? I'll post pictures soon
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 am

Here they are! The last one was just the other day when we were taking him out. Last night when I woke up for his middle of he night potty break both his ears stood up pretty much the whole time outside

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image10

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image12

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image13

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image11

Last edited by aljones on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change links to pictures)
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 11:25 am

What a cute puppy. Looks like a husky to me...

Mako's ears were floppy when we got him at 2 months, then one came up then one came down, etc. for about a month or so. By 3.5 months his were consistently up and have not come back down. I know it varies a lot though as most of his litter had ears fully up by 2 months and one still has floppy ears at 4 months.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

The bigger the ears the longer it can take for them to stand because they are heavy. He looks very close to full husky. If he's got something else in him it's probably not in his immediate family tree. I've heard some people will use their fingers to hold them up sometimes to encourage the tissue to strengthen in a certain stance.

Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 pm

@jenah thank you Smile he is a sweetheart and loves everyone he meets haha and yes that's what his ears do, up and down , they are going up more often everyday it seems.

@twisterll yea? Sometimes I'll like gently prop his ears up but he usually flops em back down. He definitely had some control over them though because as in the last picture he props them up when curious and excited
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Img_1726
2 months

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Img_1725
3 months

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Img_2120
3.5 months
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 pm

@jenah Oh what a cutie ! Looks just like ours! When ragnars ears do stand up he looks almost identical to that last picture of yours
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Welcome James.....what a cutie....some useful help, with Miya I massaged her ears working from the base up to the tips. It helped. Really it is their size, but one factor I have read is that when teething they will have floppy ears, once teething is full blown, or over, totally dependent on pup, they eventually stand up. Have patience, haha. I see all husky too.
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 3:26 pm

@miyasmomma thanks! Yea I heard about the massaging but I also heard to just leave them alone because i could cause damage to the cartilage? And I also heard about that teething thing, and he is defiantly teething haha
Thanks so much for the input guys! His one ear was standing up a lot today this afternoon and one would come up and down, they'd usually flop down if patting his head sometimes one would stick up still
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Adorable puppy! Smile

My boy Kohdi, as a puppy, did the flop ears when he was teething. I'd say he was floppy for about a month and then no more Smile
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Update! He's still teething and floppy ears but now his ears kinda stick out from the sides, took him to Georgia this week for a trip Smile

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image15

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image14
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Still perks them both up for walks sometimes then they go floppy again but seem to be getting stiffer towards the bottom which is why they are sticking out to the sides more I guess Kinda looks like dobby from Harry Potter lmao
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 am

What an adorable puppy! He looks purebred to me too. I remember when I first got Kiba. His ears were floppy too. I was really concerned because I thought they'd stay that way and I wanted them erect. They would go up and down all the time, especially when he was teething. They didn't stay up until after he got his adult teeth. Then they stayed that way. I'm sure yours will too! Smile

Also, I don't know how much truth there is to this, but my dog's breeder told me you can judge how large the dog will be by how long it takes their ears to go up. The longer it takes, the larger the dog. Kiba was almost 80 pounds, so maybe that's why his ears took so long?

Suka's ears were erect when I got him at 10 weeks, and he's five months and 45 pounds. We're expecting him to top out around 50-55 pounds.
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 8:08 am

@whitehusky3 hey thanks! Wanted to give an update, he is doing great, growing a lot and his ears are sticking up more and more, started to lose a couple baby teeth too. His ears still are kinda floppy in the morning and when he's tired which still has me worried lol but I'll post some pics , from what everyone has said it seems to be just a thing of patience and time Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image28
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image27
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image24
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image25
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image26
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image22
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image23
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 11:29 am

Ears look like they are trying to stand up a little more. It takes time to grow into them sometimes. They always have that awkward ear stage. I like when one side is up and the other is still being lazy.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 11:48 am

I just love your last set of pictures!!! Everything from "I'm gonna eat you all up!!!!" ( or is that "Oh, you're so funny!") to "Lazy daze". After he finally looses all his puppy teeth, you'll probably find his (batwing) ears will stand up most of the time. That teething stage seems to cause their ears to droop - even if they have been up for a while.

Keep the pictures coming, you've got a real expressive charmer there!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 1:22 pm

@twisterll yea they are definitely trying I just get worried cause they will be up then when I wake up and take him out in the morning ones super droopy and I'm like what happen?? Haha

@aljones thanks!! He is quite the expressive one isn't he ☺️☺️ The one where you see his teeth has got to be one of my favorite pictures of him lmao
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 1:27 pm

OMG...I love the big old smiley face pic....you have a great looking pup.....From further reading, yes it's a lot to do with teething. The calcium that was going to the pups whole body is diverted to it's teeth, so that is why the ears get floppy. I have a gsd, so I do frequent a gsd forum, and that is a typical issue with gsd's, hahaha, they tend to have bigger ears when they are an adult compared to huskies. My gsd's ears never flopped ever, but my husky's ears flopped when she was teething, and eventually stayed up, and she has huge ears, lol.
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Hey guys! Here's some more pics up the pup! Haven't taken many we've had our hands full haha but here's a couple we got the other day Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image33
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image32
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image30
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image31

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image29

So he's got some of his adult teeth coming in the front as you can see from his ridiculous face
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

he's growing a lot, put his Harness on this morning and couldn't clip it had to loosen it a lot. It's hard to believe we've only had him for about a month and a half maybe? And he's come such along way. So it gives me a little hope for his ears haha he still does that super flop at night or when he's tired but when he's up and alert they are erect so yea. There's another husky in our community I just meet and he's about 6 months, all adult teeth looks like full adult coat and erect ears so ours has a couple months to go so I gues a lot can happen in that time seeing as so much has happen in less than 2
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 pm

so very cool, love the updates...And he has the best smile ever, and such lovely eyes. those ears look like they are about there. Thanks for the updates. I love watching puppies grow.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 4:07 pm

he is very cute, his ears reminds me of Joey my chihuahua when we first got him his ears were floppy and then at one point on would be up and one down. they would also alternate; think he was bout 5 month old when they finally stayed up haha.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

It looks like his ears are finally finding their way up for good! Smile

I absolutely love his color!
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Hey guys! Quick update he's gonna hit 5 months on the 15th and he is doing amazing with training , he's getting so much socializing with all the dogs in our community Smile his ears are gettin me worried again tho lol one stays up about 90percent of the time and the other is like up then completely floppy. He is still teething still has a few baby teeth and all his adult aren't fully there I heard around 6-7 months they should be but ye, is it normal for them to fluctuate so much? All these photos are like within 3 days Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image38
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image35
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image37
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image36
Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image34
Back to top Go down
James Michie
Newborn
Newborn
James Michie

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Image39
Except this one this was a week or so ago
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!   Husky - Our new husky pup! And questions about ears! Empty

Back to top Go down

Our new husky pup! And questions about ears!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next