It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggressive behavior with other dog.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
onefyasko
Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

Male Join date : 2015-10-30

Aggressive behavior with other dog. Empty
PostSubject: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi All,

I was recently over my girl friends home and I brought Cloud along with me. Her family essentially has 4 homes all on the same block and on this day I had the pup outside with use relaxing. One of her family members has a German Shepard which easily towers over Cloud. This was there first interaction together.

They started out doing the basic sniff and examination but all in the blink of an eye the Shepard lunged at Cloud and got a piece of his bandanna (which sucks because its new Sad ). We separated them quickly and kept them separate for a bit. Once the GS calmed down a bit and I could tell Cloud wanted to say Hi to him I let him mosey over. This time there was again a moment or two where both seemed relaxed and then boom the GS lunged again.

I don't know if this is the GS trying to assert dominance or just being over aggressive. OR if this is a problem with Cloud? I don't really know but this isn't necessarily the first dog that has wanted nothing to do with cloud or has kind of lunged/growled/etc at him.

I have another dog Milo who he gets along great with and another dog at my girl friends who he loved the first time they met.

I am starting to get scared to introduce him to new dogs though. I had a thought to take him to the day care I got him from and see how he interacts with the other pups there...

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 5:11 pm

I personally see it as more of an issue with the other dogs than with Cloud if he is just wanting to smell. Now, some dogs don't appreciate excessive sniffing. A quick sniff is fine but just hovering at their back can escalate (especially if they smell up their back. makes some dogs testy of the idea of being mounted). You may try letting him do his sniffing in increments until he and the other dog are a little better associated. Let him take a couple sniffs then step between them and distract with pets and praise or pull him away, then let them sniff a little more.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Kohdi has had similar encounters with other dogs, only without being up close enough for the sniffing and stuff. And Kohdi does absolutely NOTHING to set these dogs off. All are males too, the females love him, lol. One dog belongs to a neighbor down the street, couldn't tell you the breed though but he's fairly large. When Kohdi was just a puppy, these two "met", the dog was ok ...not even a week later and the dog saw Kohdi again, and the lady was barely able to hold onto him, and it's just gotten worse. Another dog, a German Shephard, same thing...it's so weird cuz Kohdi has been one of the friendliest huskies I've ever had and is extremely relaxed when meeting other dogs, so it's not a stance he takes on, or a look he gives, it's all on the other dog best as I can tell. He has tons of friends, all girls! And they will all play like there's no tomorrow, with absolutely no fights/arguments. But the boys, forget it.
Back to top Go down
moonpie
Newborn
Newborn
moonpie

Male Join date : 2016-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 1:51 am

I don't see it as Cloud's problem but perhaps the other dogs. Snow is the same way, he doesn't do anything to set the dogs off but for some reason other dogs just hate him! (Males....he's popular with the ladies!) He knows he's a prince maybe, and walks around like he owns everything. But he doesn't growl, mount, doesn't even give dogs attention but an occasional sniff of the bum. Just make sure if you're meeting dogs that both dogs are on a lead for all of your guys' safety. Even if you trust your dog, you never know what the other dog might do.

Cloud looks so sweet I don't see him as being the aggressive one
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 am

I agree, This does not seem like your dog's issue. Gabby is not a fan of being overly sniffed but normally just puts her butt down to not allow the other dog to sniff her anymore. If the dog is persistent enough she may growl or even snap at them a bit just to let them know to back off but that is normally where it ends.

Side note with a GSD yesterday - There was one inside a minivan that we walked by that I thought was going to get through the semi open windows to attack her. That dog sounded very not friendly and was much more than the normal barking at her we get sometimes.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am

I can't recall off the top of my head, but is Cloud fixed?

Newborn
Newborn
onefyasko

Male Join date : 2015-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. EmptyWed May 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Sorry for such a late response!

Yes Cloud is fixed. I also have a feeling this isn't a problem with Cloud so much as it is with the other dog. I am pretty unfamiliar with the GS's training record but I wouldn't say its awful. The owners are pretty responsible people (I think).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive behavior with other dog.   Aggressive behavior with other dog. Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggressive behavior with other dog.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1