It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What color are you???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

color - What color are you??? Empty
PostSubject: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyTue May 10, 2016 8:11 pm

So my fiancé and I can't quite agree (or come to a conclusion separately) about what color our new boy, Luka, is turning out to be.

I say maybe red agouti or timber wolf grey.

Fiancé says brown or copper.

The breeder says he would think sable, if it weren't for him having a liver colored nose.

color - What color are you??? Image17

color - What color are you??? Image16

It's hard to tell in photos but his head is pretty ginger, his back seems to have a copper sadle, his ear tips are brownish red, but the tips of his fur shafts seem charcoal? And I can't tell if his white is white or cream... All with a liver nose.

We don't really care what the color actually is but we just were curious what y'all thought! He's a cutie any way his fur goes!  Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyTue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Liver colored nose means some variation of red...that could be chocolate, dilute, copper, apricot - I believe techically its called: Red. All the descriptors, except for dilute are subjective. Agouti would have a black nose as would a sable. Agouti, I believe has 3 bands of color on the hair shaft but I don't have time to verify that...cutting down trees.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:08 pm

I think red as well, there are so many variations to the red

What did the breeder list as his colors on his paperwork?

Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 9:07 am

Yeah we figured it would be some variant of red, we were just curious to see if anyone had any insights for the heck of it. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 10:52 am

I believe the black tips on his hairs paired with the red will be sable as you breeder said it would be.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I believe the black tips on his hairs paired with the red will be sable as you breeder said it would be.

But sable has a black nose - not liver. And if I ever get a 2nd...sable, I think it will be...well, if hubby ever says yes it will actually be the first one I can lay hands on before he changes his mind Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Agouti (Wolf-Like)

Agouti-colored Siberians are equally rare. Agouti is also called "wild coloring"; an Agouti Siberian looks almost exactly like a wolf in coloring. Agouti Siberians usually have special masks and markings. White markings are always cream. The mask is always dark and very heavy ("dirty-faced"). Pigment extends far down on the dog's body. No dilution is present. The undercoat of agouti Siberians is charcoal; the outer coat can be a mixture of black, tan, red, or grey. The usual coloring is black on the root and tip of the hair, with red or tan in the middle. The points are black. Agouti coloring is sometimes mistaken for sable or wolf grey.

Shades of Copper

An orange copper Siberian.
An orange copper Siberian.
A very light orange copper Siberian, with an almost white coat.
A very light orange copper Siberian, with an almost white coat.
A chocolate copper Siberian.
A chocolate copper Siberian.
A red copper Siberian.
A red copper Siberian.
Copper or Red

Perhaps the most variety of shades can be seen in the coats of red-and-white Siberians.

Red-and-white Siberians always have liver-colored points. Their undercoat can be copper, light red, or cream. Dilution factors can fade the coloring from dark to light across the body. They can be chocolate-colored to almost white.

An orange copper Siberian allows more yellow than red. The result is a red Siberian with a very light coat.

A chocolate copper (also called chocolate red) Siberian has a tone with full depth of color. A brown or liver undercoat is present. This is the darkest possible red coloration.

A red copper Siberian allows more red than tan. This brings out a bright color, sometimes seeming orange.

Sable Coats

A rich sable-coated Siberian.
A rich sable-coated Siberian.
A Siberian exhibiting a sable coat.
A Siberian exhibiting a sable coat.
Sable

The sable-coated Siberian, another very rare coat color, always has black points and black tipping on the fur. The undercoat is a shade of red, one of the three listed above, but never beige as in wolf-grey coats. Pigment is restricted with full allowance of color. Dilution factors never influence shade. Some sables are born a wolf-grey color, but the red tone deepens as time goes on. Sables are sometimes called "black-nosed reds."

Credit:
https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Colors-of-Siberian-Huskies
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Addendum:

Potato Chips. Want one of each tongue
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Sables are also called "black-nosed reds," so if your boy has a liver nose, that's out completely.

There are red agoutis, but they are very rare in modern dogs, and they almost always come from strong working lines. We thought Suka was going to be a red agouti for a long time until his full adult coat came in. Then we saw he was a copper and white. On paper, it's just called red, of course.

It's hard to tell what color puppies will be. Their adult coats could turn out to be lighter or darker than their puppy fur. Sometimes a light red turns into a chocolate copper (which is brown). I think yours will either be light red or copper.
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 11, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm excited to see how it develops-that's one of the reasons I originally wanted a husky in the red spectrum! We're just impatient!!!! Lol. It's fun watching him subtly change day by day-my little jelly bean is growing up too fast!!!!
Back to top Go down
meemster414
Puppy
Puppy
meemster414

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyMon May 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Aw he's so cute! Harley has the same dragon, she's ripped up all her toys except that one!

I think your boy would be some variant of red as well.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 18, 2016 2:41 pm

he looks red to me, Leo get some very dark hairs on his tail that look black but he a red and white. sometimes he looks dilute red.
Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? EmptyWed May 18, 2016 11:41 pm

Sorry to ask annoying questions, but what does dilute mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What color are you???   color - What color are you??? Empty

Back to top Go down

What color are you???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1