It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Camping with dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do we want a 'Camping Sub-Topic'?
Yes
Camping with dogs Vote_lcap100%Camping with dogs Vote_rcap
 100% [ 8 ]
No
Camping with dogs Vote_lcap0%Camping with dogs Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Why bother
Camping with dogs Vote_lcap0%Camping with dogs Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptySun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Since many of us camp / have camped / would like to camp I thought I'd start a thread targeting the camping crowd.  (Along with a 7 day poll asking whether we should have a camping sub-topic in the Off-Topic Section (poll ends 5/22/16))

What I've found interesting in the discussion that have taken place here about camping - and suggestions to expand the discussion:

• Where you camp - high mountain, water front, desert, back yard, forest.
  • What gear you use - tents, sleeping bags, cookery.
  • What gear you have specifically for your pup - harness -vs- collar, tie-out or line
  • With whom do you camp or solo camping

I've camped pretty much up and down the east and Gulf Coasts, some mountain camping in the northwest.  Tend to be a beach camper when I can get to one - doesn't matter whether it's a river, lake, or ocean.
Most of my camping has been solo tenting (with a dog, of course) using natural sources for 'comfort', grass, pine needles, leaves for bedding under the sleeping bag; local firewood and I'm a firm believer that no camp site is complete without a fire and a coffee pot; food, whether it's nuts and berries or dropping a line in the water or catching small game.
Wilderness camping, for me, has always been driving into as remote an area as I can find and locating someplace to pitch a tent.  Seldom have I done the hiking that many of you do to get into a place.  I may hike / rock scramble once I've gotten set up but I've never been one for carrying 50 pounds (or more) into a camp site.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 12:55 am

Good idea, Al!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Camping with dogs 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 11:46 am

As someone who is getting ready to do the whole primitive camping thing with the dogs next month, I think having a designated spot would be good. I've pretty much come to conclusion that if I want to take my dogs on vacation with me then I have to primitive camp because seems everywhere I go is so insanely un-dog friendly as far as motels go it's not even funny.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm

TwisterII wrote:
As someone who is getting ready to do the whole primitive camping thing with the dogs next month, I think having a designated spot would be good. I've pretty much come to conclusion that if I want to take my dogs on vacation with me then I have to primitive camp because seems everywhere I go is so insanely un-dog friendly as far as motels go it's not even funny.

I love camping...we've thought about primitive camping, get as far as...No shower?!!? NO POTTY affraid Think we'll stick to organized campgrounds. And since I am officially old, now, I have a pass to all the National Parks, reclamation areas and such that gives us half off the prices. At least some perks for being creaky, stiff and "where did I put that?"
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm

would this sub topic live under the great outdoors section?
it would make searching easier as this topic does come up a lot.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm

I also think a good spot for new owners, many with puppies that ask questions on when it is safe and how much hiking is reasonable for puppies, etc......I agree Jenn sub topic would be great!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 4:43 pm

@jbealer Jennifer, I was thinking it would be just another topic under the off-topic section.  But I like the "Great Outdoors" as well.

@miyasmomma Renee It would be interesting to see how the topic would develop.  My thoughts were along the line of sharing camping information when we have a dog along with us.  Things like where is an especially good (or bad) dog campground and what halter / collar / leash / etc. works best and why.
But I agree that it's also a good spot to discuss those camping topics that are specifically dog oriented, like how much and how far and what techniques we use to control the natural tendencies of the pups to wander given that there are such enticing aromas around.

As an example of a discussion point: While I understand the reasoning, it irritates me that our National Parks, by and large?, are not pet friendly. Every spring and fall we have people show up here with a dog in tow - and have to curtail their plans because the dogs aren't allowed outside the areas immediately around the parking areas. The reasoning here, btw, is simply that a small dog is attractive to a cougar and a larger dog attracts the bears - we lose at least one or two dogs here every summer, either because they've run off and have no idea where they are or more directly because they've become prey.

Back to top Go down
Jenah
Puppy
Puppy
Jenah

Female Join date : 2016-03-30

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 5:01 pm

aljones wrote:
The reasoning here, btw, is simply that a small dog is attractive to a cougar and a larger dog attracts the bears - we lose at least one or two dogs here every summer, either because they've run off and have no idea where they are or more directly because they've become prey.

Im sorry WHAT! I thought our pups would scare AWAY the bears.... Definitely need this subtopic so I can learn more information like above. silent
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 6:18 pm

We had a black bear loose in the park where I walk my dogs back last summer and for the two weeks they were trying to track where the bear had gone I got told by a park ranger every day to be careful because I was still out walking my dogs. I even had one tell me that I might want to walk my dogs elsewhere while the bear was still in the area. We don't have a ton of bears around here so I'm not sure how well informed our rangers are. People walk dogs in bear territory all the time, but knowing how to deal with a bear encounter when you are with your dogs is worth knowing.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Jenah wrote:

aljones wrote:
The reasoning here, btw, is simply that a small dog is attractive to a cougar and a larger dog attracts the bears - we lose at least one or two dogs here every summer, either because they've run off and have no idea where they are or more directly because they've become prey.

Im sorry WHAT! I thought our pups would scare AWAY the bears.... Definitely need this subtopic so I can learn more information like above. silent

I suspect it depends on the species - Black Bears are reputed to be deterred by a barking dog. Even one as small as a chihuahua. Just a guess but I'm thinking that might not be the case with a grizzly...and probably brown bears and polar bears. I think there are a few more species but I'm not knowledgable in that dept (we don't have 'em, I don't worry about 'em lol! )
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyTue May 17, 2016 12:47 am

Two incidents come to mind.
When I was a teenager (seniour in High School) over the winter I was working a sugar bush on the back of our property, plenty of maple trees backed by a swamp.  One night I had a visitor who rattled the shed I was in pretty good and Kim ( a GSD ) made a racket and wanted to go out and .... well, I'm not sure what she had in mind but whatever was out there was big enough I didn't want her tangling with it.  When I went out after dawn the next morning, there were bear tracks that came up from and led back to the swamp and more than a few around the back side of the shed.  My guess is that it was more curious than hungry because the shed couldn't have kept him out if he were really serious.  New York state - a brown bear.

Shortly after Misty took off one of our locals found a dog / coyote that had been mauled and partially eaten by one of our local Texas black bears.  I went and took a look at what remains there were and much to much brown for it to have been Misty (who was a silver Sibe),  There were no visible tracks around (at least not to me) so I don't know what caused the confrontation.  There have been several dogs - over the years - that have been taken, mostly by cats but a couple identifiable as being taken by a bear.

Both bears and cougars tend to stay back in the mountains, away from people but both have been seen by hikers so *I* wouldn't take the chance with either of my pups.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyFri May 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Bump for consideration .....

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptySun May 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Sub topic under great outdoors

Can you do that Al or do i need to?

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Moved to our brand spankin' new sub-forum! Thanks guys. Let's get the camping topics started. Smile

aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs EmptyMon May 23, 2016 7:45 pm

... and once again, thank you ma'am!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Camping with dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping with dogs   Camping with dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Camping with dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1