It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I need a little help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cauterox4
Newborn
Newborn

I need a little help Empty
PostSubject: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyTue May 17, 2016 8:31 pm

I just currently moved from New Jersey to Texas and i have a 9 month old female German Shepherd puppy and I'm looking to add another pup or dog to my family I'm looking to get a male husky to go along with the dog i already have. do you guys see any issues adding another dog to my family. and my other question is would a husky be okay in the heat of Texas
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyTue May 17, 2016 9:17 pm

As long as you are mindful of your activities during the heat of the day and always supply plenty of water a husky is fine in Texas. We actually have several members who live in Texas. Be very mindful of the differences in critters though when you are out walking. I imagine the snake and scorpion outlook is a bit different from New Jersey to Texas.

German shepherd and Huskies also make good companions. Huskies can be much harder to train though and are very head strong. They don't have the aim to please mentality that shepherd's can have. If you have your other dog solid in its training and you can dedicate just as much or more time into training the husky you should be good. Also a husky has to have copious amounts of exercise or they can become destructive. A tired husky is a happy husky. So being in Texas make sure your schedule allows for managing this exercise in early morning or late evening when it is cooler.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyTue May 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Of course as of right now I'm working only 4 days out of the week and have the rest off and my wife has every weekend off so we have a lot of time to dedicate to the dogs. I'm thinking its going to be really good idea for my dog now. thank you so much for the info
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyTue May 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Cauterox4 - I'm just one of those Texans who are owned by two Huskies.  If you know anything about the state yet, I live in the Big Bend region - just outside Terlingua.  It's been sorta cool here for the past few days - only gotten into the 90's once - but we're heading into the 100's next week (or so they say and it's about time).

I have an Alaskan Husky who'll wait till it's nice and warm (95+) and then go out and lay in the sun.  My Sibe is more of a house pet but we go out in the evening - the temps are still in the 90+ range and she'll let me know when she's run / wandered enough and wants to go home.  Well, actually she decides she's had enough and she goes home - leaving me to follow.

If you read up on their fur and hair ( guard hair and undercoat ) the combination allow them to control their temperature - as long as you don't try or allow them to exercise in the middle of the day. ETA: it's like the insulation in your house, keeps the cold out in the winter and the heat out in the summer.

If you don't mind my asking - since we have people all over the state, from Houston on the east to me and @MiyasMomma (Renee) in the west.  Renee has better ground cover (trees and ponds) than I.  I'm literally in the top of the Chihuahuan desert. See this thread for what it's like where I am.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Cauterox4
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyTue May 17, 2016 10:14 pm

i am outside of Dallas by like an hour so its not as bad as the desert we have been living here for around 3 months now and love every second of it
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyWed May 18, 2016 2:07 am

Welcome to the forum Cauterox4...I am one of those peeps that has a husky and a gsd and live in Texas!! I live south of Abilene, so about 200 miles west and then south of Dallas. So are you east, west, north or south of Dallas? Sorry I live in the middle of nowhere and get excited when someone joins the forum that may live sorta close by, lol. Anyways.....my husky is 3.5 years old and she actually tolerates the heat better than my 9 month old working line gsd. My husky is silver/white and the gsd is a sable, so I imagine the coat color has something to do with it. Also my husky is short coated, so more like a working line coat (although she sheds like she is a plush, haha). As far as them getting along, I made sure I got a working line gsd and she is high drive like my husky, so they play and chase and they pretty much have the same stamina. Like Jenn said above huskies are more difficult to train, but they are equally as smart, imho, actually having the gsd second, I can say that puppies with high drive and huge intelligence may have the issue of being stubborn, lol, either that or my gsd sleeps to close to my husky, hahahahaha. So I guess it really depends on what type of gsd you have, as to compare a typical husky. The husky is not normally good at off leash, unlike the gsd, and the husky will test your patience in the whole ask a command and it may take 3 tries before they will do it. Overall, if you have patience in the training department, and get a pup from a good breeder, you should be busting a gut from laughter from the 2 and their shenanigans. Here is some eye candy for you.....and is yours a working line or show?

I need a little help Sam_2310

A watering hole that the girls found to cool off on a hike last week. They both love to swim. I guess the biggest difference between the breeds, is that you will not expect a husky to protect you or your house like a gsd, and a husky is not a good candidate for IPO.
Back to top Go down
Cauterox4
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyWed May 18, 2016 8:08 am

I'm not sure which line my German Shepherd I adopted her but she is a perfect little girl lol. Also are both of your dog females because I posted on the German shepherd forums and they told me to stY away from getting another female dog. I live in Roanoke near Denton
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:36 pm

I thought that was you at the gsd forum, haha. I would probably get a male. Mine are both females, and both breeds are known for same sex aggression. I am wondering tho if it's when you have a gsd first, I know another person who had a gsd first and then got a husky mix, and the gsd started the fight, ripped an ear, gashed her nose and cheek of the husky. I worked with my gsd breeder, and he observed my husky, and he felt temperament wise I would be ok, so far we have been fine, I think for the most part it's because my gsd is very submissive to my husky. many here on the forum have 2 females with no issues, so not sure how to respond. The gsd forum I do not post really, the people are very knowledgeable but not too friendly, here people are knowledgeable and friendly, so I just read the gsd forum, and here I participate. And sadly you're too far away for any play dates.... Sad I hope that you will be an active member here, and can not wait to see your new pup!
Back to top Go down
Cauterox4
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help EmptyWed May 18, 2016 3:54 pm

That's what I was thinking I mean my German shepherd is a sweet heart and wouldn't hurt anything but I don't want to risk it she was their first you know so I would rather get a male and make sure she's happy. And your 100 percent right about the people being not so friendly on the other forum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need a little help   I need a little help Empty

Back to top Go down

I need a little help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-