It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taste Of The Wild?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Female Join date : 2016-05-20

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyTue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

I was on Amazon searching for healthier dry food options for my puppy. She's currently on Purina Puppy Chow which is just full of corn and chicken by-product.. Yuck. I came across this brand called "Taste Of The Wild" which is hormone-free and grain-free. I read reviews (there are 1,500+ and it has 4 1/2 stars) saying not only is it way cheaper than Blue Buffalo it is also healthier. The first few ingredients were Buffalo, lamb meal, and sweet potatoes. Anyone use this brand? Yes, no?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyTue May 31, 2016 10:02 pm

I use Taste of the Wild. It is good grainfree variety. It has had recalls in the past but not in lots of years. I believe it has a better representation than Blue Buffalo and it is cheaper than Arcana or Orient.

MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyTue May 31, 2016 11:34 pm

I agree with Colleen, I also feed Taste of the Wild...but I will recommend using the puppy versions if you have a puppy they have two and you could try rotating between the pacific stream and the high prairie. Or stick to just the one. I have been very happy with the results of TOTW with both of my girls.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 12:55 am

... and to add insult to injury BlueBuffaloe had another recall today. Stick with TOTW!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 1:09 pm

ToTW is a great dog food. I highly recommend it.

However, if your dogs won't eat, try something else. That was the problem I ran into with it. My dogs hated it, and they lost a lot of weight. I haven't bought it since then because I didn't want to waste my money if the same thing happened again, Although now that I think about it, I only tried the prairie variety. Maybe I could try the fish one because they may like that one instead. Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Blue Buffalo recently had a recall, and back in 2012 it made my dogs horribly sick, I'll never recommend it.

I did feed TOTW from late 2012 to mid 2014, the dogs did great on it. I only switched to bump up to Acana.

In regards to the comment not eating, you can try other flavors too, of course if they refuse after a couple weeks switch. But, Link refused to eat Taste of the Wild for four days straight when I switched him from Pedigree. Then once he realized I wasnt giving him anything else, he finally ate, and has never missed a meal since.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Oh yes, definitely don't give up after only a few days. Sometimes dogs need a bit to get used to the food. When I said to switch to something else if your dogs won't eat, I meant it more along the lines of weeks. That's what my dogs did. I hate to waste food, and I won't throw out kibble if my dogs dislike it. I'll have them finish the bag before I swap to something else. But with ToTW, it went on for a month or more where they'd barely eat, and they were all getting thin. So I gave in and changed to something else. My cat did the same thing to me when I tried her on ToTW. Grrr! Picky feline.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 3:51 pm

i used to feed Leo TOTW when he was a puppy, he did well on it. very good food if your on a budget, and i stopped buy Blue Buffalo food when my chihuahua Joey wouldn't eat it. then i it had a few recalls which was a bit scary.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 5:39 pm

I've heard a lot of stories of people whose dogs suddenly wouldn't eat kibble they'd been on for a long time. If the person waited long enough, the dogs would eventually eat it because they got really hungry, but then they'd almost immediately become ill. Shortly thereafter, the food would be recalled and the owners would regret not listening when their dogs were trying to tell them something. Sometimes you just don't know if it's because there's something wrong with the kibble or if there's something wrong with the dog. To my way of thinking, if they'd always eaten well before and suddenly don't want to eat for a few days, that should be a red flag and it's worth trying a new kibble for a bit. If the dog eats, it was the kibble. If they don't, they need to see a vet.

I'm constantly changing the food my dogs are given with every bag, so when my dogs refuse to eat, it's because they have an upset stomach. Smile
Back to top Go down
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry late reply LOL she loves it! I have her on the High Prairie puppy and I can see her leg muscles are bulking up Smile
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 pm

That's great!

I have Suka on Pacific Stream. He's become more lean and looks really good. I'm feeding it to all my dogs, and they like it. They didn't like the yellow bag with the venison and bison. I wish I'd known that last time I tried TOTW. I avoided the brand, thinking my dogs hated it, and it was really only a problem with that particular flavor.
Back to top Go down
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 pm

Her legs have been bulking up since she started it. 4 mos old Smile
Taste Of The Wild? Messag10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taste Of The Wild? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste Of The Wild?   Taste Of The Wild? Empty

Back to top Go down

Taste Of The Wild?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1