It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Weight/Food/Coat Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Treyzian
Newborn
Newborn

Weight/Food/Coat Question Empty
PostSubject: Weight/Food/Coat Question   Weight/Food/Coat Question EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 3:58 pm

So my Sasha is now 1 year and 2 months old, but I've been getting a lot of comments on how skinny she looks, how small she is, and how her fur is so short.

We've been mainly feeding her Wellness Core / Merrick's Backcountry, and she's very picky with her food so we've also tried a lot of other foods with little success. We have food available for her 2/3 times a day at the same every day, but she isn't at all interested in her food sometimes and will also sometimes skip meals completely. Most other huskies I've seen are a bit chunkier, but people have also told me that huskies control their own weight very well. Does she look skinny/malnourished, and if so, what can I do about it?

Also, is her coat abnormal for her age? (She's the one on the right)

Weight/Food/Coat Question Hv8IWz
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Weight/Food/Coat Question   Weight/Food/Coat Question EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 2:44 am

Stop listening to people. Her coat appears to be a racing line coat, sleek and thick. She isn't full grown, height wise probably, but between 1 and 2 is when they fill out and you will see a weight gain from 5-10 pounds. Yes huskies, some, mine does, self regulates. As long as she eats she is fine, missing a meal or two don't panic. Lastly, you want a lean dog, lean = less issues on joints and bones. She looks great to me, I have a skinny girl too. The dog on the left, I am sorry if I offend you or any one else is over weight. You want to see a nice tuck, which your girl displays beautifully. What is her height at the withers and her weight? Just curious, my girl at 3.5 years of age is 26 inches tall (about) and 65 pounds, a little over a year ago she weighed 58 pounds and about the same height.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Weight/Food/Coat Question   Weight/Food/Coat Question EmptySun Jun 05, 2016 11:26 am

Since you're 'listening to others' I'll add my voice to Renee's, for her age she looks great! Most people who have (or know about) Huskies know that they're neither a big or heavy dog. Shoot, they were intended to pull sleds, they can't do that if they're overweight!
What makes it a whole lot worse is that Vets who don't have experience with Huskies will consider them underweight when they're at their best weight!

I have two "Husky's"; one is an Alaskan who eats when he thinks about it - and that's not often (personally I'd like to see him put on 10-15 pounds, but he'd rather run than eat! The other is a Sibe who is starving to death from the way she attacks her food and looks a lot like the dog on the left in your picture - she could easily afford to lose what Avalanche (my Alaskan) could afford to gain.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Weight/Food/Coat Question   Weight/Food/Coat Question EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 3:46 pm

I agree that she looks like a good weight. Gabby was about 30 lbs at a year old and has now filled in a bit at 35 lbs at 2.5 years old. Your girl will get get a bit thicker but I would not try to get her to put on weight. It will happen over time with the same feeding schedule she is on now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight/Food/Coat Question   Weight/Food/Coat Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight/Food/Coat Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1