It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Dog's Eating Habbits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-07-16

eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits Empty
PostSubject: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I have two dogs. Finley, my Husky who is 3 years old and weights about 95 pounds and Chloe, my Blue Healer mix who weighs about 55 pounds but looks like a small dog. About a year ago I moved them to the Costco food that get's 4 stars and they have liked it very much and there has been no issues. Also about a year ago I had to put Finley on a little bit of a reduced diet so I stopped letting them eat freely throughout the day and put them on a schedule that is usually about 7am and then about 4pm. That worked fine also. About the last ten days I have noticed that they are not as eager to eat as they usually are. They eat and are eating the same amount but not as eager it seems. When it comes to any people food treats or dog biscuit treats they are all over it. Finley is pretty much himself with eating but with Chloe it seems I have to entice her. It's 10 am here now and neither of them have eaten yet. Now it has been hot here but they spend most of the day in the nice AC cooled house so I don't know if that is affecting them or not. Everything about them seems pretty normal to me. Finley has always been a low energy Husky and Chloe is her usual self and will play ball all day if you will throw it for her. I really don't know what to think? Did I get a bag of bad dog food that does not taste as good to them?? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:21 pm

When summer rolls around and the temperatures and humidity go through the roof mine are less interested also. It's pretty normal. Mine are inside a lot too. I wouldn't worry too much unless weight loss happens or they stop eating altogether. As long as the food looks and smells the same as bags before I wouldn't think there is any change. I don't know what the costco food is so can't tell you if they have had a formula change or not. When it gets warm you just have to ride the storm of pickiness. It's easy to want to try and force them to eat by putting on tasty toppers and such but you're better off not to. don't want them thinking they need those all the time even in the winter when they feel like eating more readily.

Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks. That makes me feel better. It's not as bad with Finley as it is with Chloe. I had been putting a tiny piece of a turkey hot dog or a little chicken broth on top and that sealed the deal but I stopped doing that. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Hmm, now you got me wondering about a formula change cuz I feed my two Natures Domain from Costco and a couple weeks ago they both stopped eating in the morning and evening meal they'd eat, but like, it took a long time. Only lasted a few days but it does have me wondering now. Although like Jenn said, when it's summer like weather, eating habits can change too, normally Mishka is a bit picky when it comes to the kibble food (she's all over people food though, haha) but this time Kohdi as well started missing meals.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Might be worth a write into Nature's Domain to see if there's been a formula change. A quick google search showed a few people started having issues with it about a year ago. Probably not what's going on here since it's fairly recent issues have arose, but if there have been little issues with this food it could enhance how much your dogs avoid it now. Gas was one of the big complaints people were having. Dogs started getting pretty gassy in the last year. more than normal. and had the occasional soft stool in more extreme cases.

Newborn
Newborn
moonpie

Male Join date : 2016-04-09

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 9:28 am

There could be a very high chance that there was a formula change then if more than two of you are experiencing the same thing with a Costco brand. I started trying a diet rotation for Snow because I've heard a lot of people experiencing this and thought it would be good to get him to try different foods in case his favorite food TOTW did a formula change as well.

I don't believe that there's such thing as a perfect dog food and maybe cycling can help minimize the imperfections in the food he eats, it's hard to really get the perfect balance diet (for me anyways) I've tried all sorts of diets but always felt it was not sufficient enough. Snow does well with all the foods we've been giving him now. If your dogs are not sensitive to menu changes, maybe you could give it a try as well. I think it could keep them interested in the food they eat plus switching out different proteins can give them a more balanced diet
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm

moonpie wrote:
There could be a very high chance that there was a formula change then if more than two of you are experiencing the same thing with a Costco brand. I started trying a diet rotation for Snow because I've heard a lot of people experiencing this and thought it would be good to get him to try different foods in case his favorite food TOTW did a formula change as well.

I don't believe that there's such thing as a perfect dog food and maybe cycling can help minimize the imperfections in the food he eats, it's hard to really get the perfect balance diet (for me anyways) I've tried all sorts of diets but always felt it was not sufficient enough. Snow does well with all the foods we've been giving him now. If your dogs are not sensitive to menu changes, maybe you could give it a try as well. I think it could keep them interested in the food they eat plus switching out different proteins can give them a more balanced diet

Your Snow looks a lot like my Finley when he was little. I will consider that. A couple of years ago we were using Bil Jac and when I went to Costco Finley had bad diarrhea for a couple of days but after that passed all has been well. My little one has been skipping breakfast but eating dinner so I guess I should let it play out a bit. She seems fine and active and they both drink a lot.

I agree with you on the perfect dog food. When I retired from the Postal Service I had a part time job at a large grocery discount store for a couple of years and they had a bulk food department which was actually pretty good but way in the back they had these 75 pound bags of dog food that they sold for $19.99. When I would see people buy them I would cringe inside because I was pretty sure that they came from China. I may be wrong but I don't believe they posted the ingredients on the bag. Maybe Im wrong but I remember the packaging being a plain white bag.
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 9:31 pm

I went over the Costco label and on the label it says, same formula, new look and the addition of probiotics. I don't know if that was on the bag last month or not and I have no way to find out. They are eating but not with the same gusto that they used too.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 11:08 pm

tsfrance wrote:
I went over the Costco label and on the label it says, same formula, new look and the addition of probiotics.  I don't know if that was on the bag last month or not and I have no way to find out.  They are eating but not with the same gusto that they used too.  

Is it the Nature's Domain from Costco? The Nature's Domain has always had probiotics. I went to look at my new bag, and the bag from last month (I toss my plastic bottles in it til it's ready to go out to the recycling bin, haha) and the two bags are identical. Mine doesn't say what yours says on it about having a new look, etc. though, just that its grain free, has probiotics, etc.
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptySat Jun 11, 2016 12:19 am

Artic_Wind wrote:

tsfrance wrote:
I went over the Costco label and on the label it says, same formula, new look and the addition of probiotics.  I don't know if that was on the bag last month or not and I have no way to find out.  They are eating but not with the same gusto that they used too.  

Is it the Nature's Domain from Costco? The Nature's Domain has always had probiotics. I went to look at my new bag, and the bag from last month (I toss my plastic bottles in it til it's ready to go out to the recycling bin, haha) and the two bags are identical. Mine doesn't say what yours says on it about having a new look, etc. though, just that its grain free, has probiotics, etc.

Mine is the Adult Dog, Lamb, Rice and Vegetable. I have not tried the Nature's Domain. Now I am wondering if they are old enough for the Adult Dog? Finley is 3 and Chloe almost 2.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptySat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 am

Yes, they are old enough for adult. Finley is the same age as my Kohdi, and my Mishka just turned 2 a couple months ago. They've been in adult since they were 1.
Back to top Go down
Cardin Pham
Newborn
Newborn
Cardin Pham

Male Join date : 2016-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I notice the same thing in my 8 month old husky. For the last two or so week he has been not been hype at eating. Usually when i feed him he would finish the whole thing in 10 to 15minutes but now it take couple hours to finish his whole bowl. He still play like normal, going to the bathroom and even eating treats but eating the food has not been so great and taking a while. I buy Eagle Pack as the food brand. Not sure if this bad is a bad one or not. I was reading some of the notes and it talk about weather so i live in California, Sacramento so the weather hasn't been to bad lately either.
Back to top Go down
tsfrance
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am

Well just to follow up things seem to pretty much be back to normal. Finely is totally back to eating whenever I put food out and Chloe is a bit picky but eats. Although all three bags of food have the same lot number on them I seem to have narrowed the problems down to that one specific bag. Who knows but everything is pretty much fine now. Thanks for all the input.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Dog's Eating Habbits   eating - My Dog's Eating Habbits Empty

Back to top Go down

My Dog's Eating Habbits

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1