It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Finding a Home....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shar@casaderusssell.com
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2016-06-23

home - Finding a Home.... Empty
PostSubject: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a 3 year old Husky that I am willing to give to someone who understands Huskies. She is spayed, has all her shots, including Bordetella, and is a sweet, calm(yes, calm) and super smart girl. She needs someone who is going to take the time to spend with her. She does great with other dogs. She will have her last vet check-up this week and must find a forever home. I wanted to be that home, but after having her for two months, realize that she needs more than I can give her. I do not want to sell her, nor do I want to send her away to a rescue. I live in North Texas and am willing to travel some to meet. It is a Husky Thing and I now understand that!!! If I could keep her I would. She just received heartworm treatment and has her last check this week. She weighs 36 pounds and two of those pounds are recent gains. She is smaller, and will make a great great friend. Please, no judgments, I have tried as much as I can to keep her. I know someone will be excited and happy to have her. You should respond to this post with answers to these three questions if you are serious.
1. Why do you want her?
2. Why should I consider you?
3. Are you willing to do what it takes to make her happy?
Thanks in advance. home - Finding a Home.... 2016-012
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 9:49 pm

You would do much better for her if you contacted a rescue. They will do the proper home checks and see that she goes to an appropriate home. A dog given away can end up as a bait dog for fighting...
Back to top Go down
shar@casaderusssell.com
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 10:00 pm

I appreciate your concern. I have received some interest about her, and would not just give her to anyone without proper investigation and meeting the new owner. Do you suggest any rescues? I have looked at the ones in Oklahoma and Texas and they seem flooded with photos of dogs wanting/needing rescued. I feel better about finding a home for her myself as I don't want her to go to a place that would abuse her or use her for fighting. I am glad to find a chat place that is friendly and willing to help. So far, it seems that I have hope in finding a place for her, but as I said, I will do my part to make it a safe, loving, and enjoyable home for her.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Ask a rehoming fee. I'm not in Texas so don't know resources there very well but a rehoming fee will help weed out some people who know the right words to say but might not have the best intentions. My rule of thumb is if they can't afford a rehoming fee then they can't afford to care for the dog. Rescues always seem to be full. Huskies as you have found aren't for just anyone's lifestyle and they are often abandoned. Making a call to the rescue might help in that while they may have a lot of dogs they may have a lot of people helping them to. Some rescues are also willing to help you rehome your dog by advertising and listing for you while the dog stays with you until a new home is found.

Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 am

No judgment, but you've had her for two months. It's really hard to gauge a dog in that time. It takes some time for them to settle in, get used to their new home, get used to you, etc. I don't think my dog really got used to us until about the six months mark.

Can I ask what about her behavior is more than you can handle? Plenty of experienced owners here can offer advice on how to handle and improve typical husky behaviors. Training and exercise can work wonders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 1:21 pm

I really don't expect to hear any more from Shar.  I sent her a PM because I am interested in the pup. She's 500 miles away from me,l suggested a meet in Big Spring - 200 miles for her, 300 for me.  She said she'd call me Sunday and I haven't heard anything from her.  Sent messages seem to go into the ether ....  I really hope that she either decided to keep the pup or found a good home.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Al. My fingers are crossed for a good outcome.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Well, Shar read my previous note and we spent a delightful two hours on the phone talking about dogs (and cats) as she was driving.  

Sky tested heart worm positive and she's been to the vet for treatment, she'll have her final (hopefully) examine this Thursday.  As I told Shar, if someone up in her area wants Sky and it looks like a good match I'm happy with that, but if not - especially after she described Sky's personality - then I'm definitely interested.  Sky seems to be another of the laid back, relaxed Huskies so she'd fit right in with my two.  Avalanche would have a play partner - which he doesn't really have in Sasha, she's happy to be with me when we're walking but isn't too much into the horseplay that Avalanche wants.

So, with a little luck, I may be adding a third pup to my menagerie - and at that I quit!

Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 4:00 pm

YAY! I hope it works out
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 4:17 pm

I hope she is another of the rare huskies that likes your kittens like you managed to get with your other two.

Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Female Join date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Aww pretty girl let us know how it goes
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 11:50 pm

She is such a beautiful pup, Al, I REALLY hope it all works out for you/everyone involved Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 am

Yes Al please let us know if you get her, she is a doll!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 am

Catching up here, hope everything works out in that beautiful girls favor! Good luck to all 3 of you (Al, Shar & Sky)! Keep us updated!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyWed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 am

Yes, I am really grateful to get to know Al and look forward to meeting up with him to see how it all goes. Since Sky is a rescue for us too, I am sure it will go great. She really needs stability and the sooner she gets to her forever home, the better. I love her and her sweet personality and that is why I have taken so much care to find the proper home. I knew the right person would come along. Now let's hope that her final heartworm check is negative. If not, we can deal with that too. With the way her energy has returned, I am inclined to think it is. As I expressed to Al, I would love to keep her, but know that our home is not the best place for her. I guess now I can say I have fostered both humans and Sky(who thinks she is human). Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 am

Somewhat reluctant to post this; not because *I'm* not excited but because I may step on Shar's toes if I'm not real careful.

Sky got her final OK from the vet, she'll need to have be tested again in a couple of months but for the time being she appears to have taken the heart worm treatment in stride. Even though I don't have my dogs on heart worm meds (no one down here does since HW isn't a problem; we don't get enough rain to have a mosquito problem) Sky will need to be on meds for at least the next year to avoid any potential of flair-up from existing eggs / larva.

I'll be going up to Big Spring to met Shar and Sky on Saturday (7/23/16).  I'll take Avalanche up with me to see how they do together and pending a crisis will bring Sky home with me.  Even though Sasha is my "alpha" pup, she's also pretty laid back (until Avalanche tries to get into her food).  I don't foresee any problems with the dogs other than convincing Avalanche that "enough is enough!" From what Shar has said, I'm not sure who'll pester whom the worst.

Shar and family have become attached to Sky - isn't that the way with a Sibe? - so I think we're all going to feel at least a little guilty ... me because I'll be taking Sky from a family who obviously love her and Shar and family because I think they'd really like to keep her if things were different.  All I can say is that I'll do my best to give her a good home, again, if everything goes well and she comes home with me.

There have been a couple of questionable comments, well intentioned I know, but still seemingly somewhat critical of Shar for rehoming Sky.  Without going into any detail - which is definitely not my province - Shar has some very legitimate reason for rehoming Sky.  

In any case, I'll try to get some good pictures of the pups (with my tablet??) to share with you all.  Now I have to call it a night since I have a vet (er, Dr's) appt tomorrow for an annual physical.

I commented earlier that a couple of emails had gone into the ether - they probably wouldn't have if I'd had her email address right! Argh!!!

Last edited by aljones on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 1:59 am

Al I am so very excited for you!! I know that you deep down wanted another husky (my intuition?) so I hope all works out for you!! Please keep us posted, whether it be you or Shar...and YES PICS PLEASE!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 9:49 am

Good luck tomorrow! Hope everything goes well and thank you for the update.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Good luck with the new pup, Al. So nice to hear she is going to a good (and safe!) home. She's a lucky girl.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Good luck Al! Hope everything goes well with the meeting and you can add another husky to your desert sled team Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Jimmy, I busted out laughing with that "desert sled team" lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySat Jul 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I've thought about it; "running" them into town would be cheaper than gas!  But at 100f it's to hot for me to be out uncovered and way too hot for them.

Home Again!! and I'm not advertising the microchip company!  558 miles and about 12 hours later I finally pulled into my drive - then got to listen to Sasha talking about "who's that? what's she doing here?"  I introduced them and Sasha just about bowled Sky over.  Sky is a little smaller than Sasha but about 25 pounds lighter.  ( I see no reason to change her name, btw; while it wasn't the first name she was given, she responds to it - as much as she responds to me right now [very little] - so I'll leave well enough alone. )

The introduction of Avalanche and Sky at Big Spring was surprisingly uneventful.  I figured Avalanche would want to play and I guess he figured that "she's a dainty thing" and he better be a gentleman - ha! see how long that lasts!!  He came up when Shar's husband came out and then once again - of course just after I commented on how well he was behaving - couldn't complain though, he was gentle with all involved.

Did have a little hesitation on Sky's part when Shar and family walked away ... "but ... but ... I'm supposed to go with them!"  And yep, I could almost hear it.  (Sorry Shar, et al.) I didn't want to stress her anymore than she was so I let her walk around, she doesn't want to get in the back of the Jeep the way Avalanche does, but she will hop into the drivers seat and then "in back" seems to work.  

The trip home was dull, Avalanche took his normal pose (feet on the console, looking at where we were going) and Sky was crashed in back.  "Don't care, wake me up when we get there!"  Since I know Avalanches signs, there weren't too many stops going up; since I don't know - and couldn't see - Sky's, we stopped a little more often coming back.  I bought a gallon of water and by the time we were home most of it was gone - most of it on the carpet in the back of the Jeep, I think!  On the last stop, about an hour from home, they both (mutually) emptied the water dish a couple of times but only 'sipped' before that.

Shar took a couple of pictures at Big Spring - couldn't get dog to cooperate, of course - and she'll post them later.  

Shar, you didn't say - or I don't remember - how much were you feeding Sky and when?

If this doesn't make any sense, blame it on Sky, I'm tuckered out!!

ETA:  I fed Sasha while Sky was still outside (hooked to the Jeep), let Sasha out back to do her thing and brought Sky in, Sasha came in to the gate between rooms and rushed the gate and scared Sky; I brought Sasha in (on lead) and I swear she followed Sky around for 15 minutes, "checking her out".  Sky is now in Misty's favourite place, right beside my computer stool (maybe just because she can get away from the trolls if she's hiding beside me?)
Hmm... maybe it's safety from the trolls, but I've got a shadow.  Went into the kitchen with Sky right behind me.  She's feeling better, growled at Sasha (I think it was Sky's growl?) when Sasha got a little too persistently inquisitive ... give it time ....

Sasha is outside - where she prefers to spend the night - but wants in (of course).  Had to feed Avalanche and Sky since he hasn't eaten anything all day and I presume Sky hasn't eaten since this morning.  Of course Sasha was having a shot fit!  

I'm afraid that we're going to have a "discussion" between the two S's; I think it'll be short and sweet since Sasha tends to be roughish and I don't think Sky can / will do much except try to get out of the way.  I'm adding odds and ends - I'm rambling .....

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Glad to hear things are going pretty normal so far. I'm sure all will figure their spots and roles out soon. Congrats on the new addition.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Actually things are really going much better than expected. Sasha is still being a pain but nowhere near as bad as she was last night. Sky is still being a shadow - immediately next to my computer stool at the moment but she will let me go get coffee, etc without having to follow me. Avalanche is outside - in the shade under the Jeep - he's not interested in coming in but that's about normal.

I've taken Sky out back a couple of times and she's seen the kittens and is not the least interested for the nonce, we'll see how that develops later.

When I crashed last night, Sky hopped up on the foot of the couch; later on I turned over and realized she'd gotten down. Normally Avalanche sleeps right beside the couch and when I reached down for a mindless belly rub, it was sky who was right beside the couch. "Shadow" seems like an appropriate name but I really like Sky since in the long run I expect her to become more comfortable and not always be 'right there'.

What has really surprised me is that Avalanche hasn't offered to play at all. He and Sasha normally get a case of zoomies later in the evening so we'll see how that goes.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 1:10 pm

I think sky is a good name. Course i come from a long line of hunters and short names are more effective in the field. But shadow and sasha are just close enough in sound you may get some confusion from the dogs if you are needing to yell a name.

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Finding a Home....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next