It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

The Desert Pack - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 am

AL, I hope she feels better, and that this is nothing serious. I have no advice, just my well wishes for you guys. I always bummed when one of our huskies aren't feeling well Sad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 7:51 am

I use Boswellia for my arthritic guy. I think 2 other people on this forum use it as well, although one of them is no longer an active member. That thread Amy linked to is old and I haven't updated it with my revised "cocktail" of supplements but I now use Boswellia 4 days a week, more if we are more active or traveling. I also use homeopathic T-Relief daily for pain.

I looked at the supplement you posted last night and it looks pretty decent. Lacking some ingredients that I would use but otherwise decent.

Hope it helps.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am

Hey, Val? I know your really busy and very pregnant but if you get a chance, could you update that thread for what's working for you now? Whenever people on fb or here ask about supplements for hd or arthritis, I always post a link to that thread. I think it's great information.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Sure Amy, will try to do it this week. As he gets older his needs keep changing so it's sort of a fluid "formula".

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 6:10 pm

I know when I share the link, people are very grateful for the info.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Amy, I know that I really appreciate it when someone provides a link. "But, just Google it!" Yeh, and when I get back 2,345,678,901 responses I should look at which one?

It's odd to me, and I've suggested this before, *I* know what when I suggest that someone Google something that I might remember correctly it always seems so much easier to just point them to the right place - the one i'm thinking about - anyway.

What I hear from people who don't provide links is that they don't have the time ... but they *do* have the time to respond the the next 25 messages asking for more information - sorry, that does *not* compute.

Thanks Amy, you're appreciated ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Sasha's feeling better ... still has a pronounced limp, but after while outside running around it goes away.

Was setting at the computer, with Avalanche and his supper on the front porch, he started barking so I looked over to see why and the only thing I see in the yard is a roadrunner ... He barked a couple of more times and I went to see why ... looked over his head so I could really tell what he was looking at and I've got a rattler (something about 3-4 ft long and "full") lounging in the driveway.

Took my little pistol (25cal) and after missing several times (I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol!) finally sent him to perdition. Needless to say all my pups are inside tonight, they do not like gunfire!!

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 am

You may look into turmeric paste and see if it might benefit you. I have put mine on it instead of glucosamine and chondroitin. I have heard good things about it with dogs who have arthritis. Kenzi has pretty bad arthritis and will limp if she's laid down too long. Mine haven't been on turmeric long enough to give my own review yet but they have been off glucosamine and chondroitin for a few weeks now and haven't dropped back to pre supplement behavior yet. It's cheaper than the glucosamine. It is a mixture of turmeric spice, water, ground pepper, and coconut oil. It is good for any kind of inflammation.

One of my coworkers got bit by a copperhead a week ago. He's miserable. Stay safe. These snakes are no joke for sure.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Aww f!#= Jenn. Not what I needed to hear. We're going camping I'm CT good family reunion. Just remembered last night about CT and copperhead. Looked up the distribution and looks like the campground is in the copperhead area. Short leash for the dogs!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't get to get shot like this very often so I thought I'd share.

This is what I'm seeing outside this morning.  Woke up to 24° and crystal clear after a nice snow overnight,
The Desert Pack - Page 5 P1000013

This is what I'm seeing inside,  that's Avalanche and the white cat (no my cat's don't have names and he's gotten a lot more tan over the years.)  They've been cuddled like that most of the morning!
The Desert Pack - Page 5 P1000011

Huskies and cats don't get along .....

ETA:  I don't think we got above our high of 33° yesterday.  Avalanche wanted out and I think he was back at the front door two minutes after he wanted out.  16:30 and we're at 30 heading south to the low 20's overnight!!!  (( and this is south by damn Texas!!!!! ))

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 am

That is awesome! I've been hearing of all kinds of places that don't often receive snow, getting snow this year, and to me it's even unusual how "early" in the season it's happening!

Second pic could not be any prettier or sweeter. I LOVE that pic, Al. That is too cute.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 am

I think I'm okay you have snow and we don't. On the other hand though it was 13 degrees the other night and we didn't have snow. If it's going to be that cold we might as well be snow.

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 pm

that last pic is adorable. i been hearing on the news that all sorts of place that don't usually get snow have gotten some this year.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Has anyone used the Lupine brand leashes?? Took Sky into town with me today and she sat through my doctor's visit with no problem - about 2hours! - stopped at the gas station, came out and she'd chewed through another 15 foot leash. (( This is like number 4 or 5, I'm not sure which! )) Lupin has a "Even if chewed" guarantee but is the leash good, do they honor their guarantee the third or fifth time???

Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 12:03 am

I currently have a Lupine leash and so far I love it more than any other leash I've used. She hasn't chewed through it yet though so I'm not sure on how many leashes they'll give you for buying the one.
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am

Mars is on his third Lupine leash-- twice replaced through their guarantee. Don't know if there's a limit. I decided to purchased a rope leash. Mars has not chewed through that one and not for lack of trying. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

We switched to a rope leash, too, and we've been having much better luck with it, despite Misty thinking it's an ultra-long rope toy. Wink

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 am

Happy Got Ya day Sasha!! My Calendar and the Pita-Pata tell me that Sasha's been with me for 6 years! Really!?!?!

After my initial experiences with he food aggression, I wasn't sure if she was going to become (or remain) a member of the household or not - but over the years she (and I) have adapted to each others quirks and she's a lot of enjoyment for an old man.

I've set the pool up behind the trailer and she's the only one who has any interest in it - and then it's nothing more than to stand in it and get a drink - silly dog!!

Like any Husky, she has a mind of her own and like any female - well, better not go there!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Happy gotchya day, Sasha. Good to hear you to have reached a detente,
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Happy Gotcha Day, Sasha!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Happy late gotchya day, Sasha!
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 pm

I use Lupine leashes and collars, and they have been great. Luckily I haven't had the chewing problems.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 pm

I had to follow up on all the problems I've been havin with Sasha ... she's really turning into quite a different Husky.

A few days ago, when it was food time, she saw the back door was open so she decided to make a break for it.  Nothing odd there, right?

She wandered around outside, took a wade through the pool and came to the front door and woo'd at me.  So I've been letting her have more freedom ...

Watched a truck go by this morning and she just stood in the front yard and watched it, no barking, no running, no hassle.

I've watched her from inside to see what she's doing ... she wanders, may run a little, may go toward the back of the property, may take a trip through the pool (and come in with dirty wet feet!) but isn't the least bit interested in wandering off.  I think I could grow to like that!!

As I was listening to the local EMS on radio some person had been bitten on his little toe by a baby rattler (baby's are bad, they can't / don't know how to judge the amount of venom to inject.  Surprised they didn't transport him to hospital -- yep, it's that time of year again!

All my pups have decided that today's a good day to stay inside or on the porch.  Winds gusting to 35 or so; finally had to shut my back patio door - there's a lot of dust in that wind so everything is gritty!  
Weather service says:

Quote :
...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM CDT /7 PM MDT/
THIS EVENING...

* TIMING...This morning through until this evening.

* WINDS...West 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 60 mph.

... and it can quit any time now!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 10:39 am

Al - Z'ev is a clingy one also. I can open the back door and he will go out to pee poop but mostly he wants to be back inside PDQ. And, if Ami is outside, Z'ev will basically cling to the back door until I let him him. He does like being outside if one of us is out but even then, he's within a 50' radius. Questions is, for Sasha AND Z'ev...is this stay close permanent or a phase as they develop confidence?

Thankfully, our winds have died down, more in the teens with gusts in the 20's. But...we don't get grit, we get mud. Which later becomes grit. But, at least its not airborne grit and Bob makes quick work of it.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Well, it's official.  Took Sasha to the vet again because she's been limping pretty badly on her left front foot.  Mary (vet) took Sasha's paw in her hand and manipulated from the paw up to the shoulder and said that it was definitely her ankle.  (( I've lost the word she used - I'm thinking 'cretaceous' (wrong) but for the life of me can't remember the word for bone rubbing on bone (crepitatious?) ))  

I've gone through about 14 previcox tablets since February but only give her one if she's 'complaining' (she'll whine when she puts weight on it) or it's really obvious that she's in pain.  (( Like I don't use any meds if they're not absolutely necessary - Aleve for Bursitis, for example.  It's great that we're all in generally good health! ))

Mary refilled the Previcox but suggested I might want to think about 1/2 an 325mg aspirin instead since I "have aspirin for yourself, of course."  Nope, I don't.  I use tylenol for headache type pain and Aleve for bone/joint pain - but they always "expire" before I can use them all.  
Does anyone use Aspirin for dog pain, how's it work relative to the expensive previcox??

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 38Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 38  Next