It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 11:18 am

Ok, looking it up now. WTF is a javelins?!!?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 12:49 pm

The short version from Texas Parks and Wildlife

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi. Learn something new everyday
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Ever feel like you could reach up and touch the clouds??  I took this when I went up to Terlingua Lodge (the Bad Rabbit cafe for lunch)  That's the bottom of the clouds about 300ft overhead.

The Desert Pack - Page 8 Img_2010

Pretty, yes; green (in the desert?) yes but it's not even winter here yet and we've had almost a week of solid cloud cover - I'm really getting tired of it!!! did I say something about solar power?

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 pm

You are right, it IS really beautiful. I don't know about Texas but I foresee an earlier than average winter here in California. All our seasons this year started way early. Our ocean temps for much of our summer were in the 80's as well, I can see us even getting the El Niño that we somehow missed last year and getting more rain soon. When jbealer visited San Diego back in January, we were already in Spring!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 am

Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm

wow, its so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am

These dogs are going to drive me to drink or worse!!

Sasha was in her normal spot, laying between me and the living room; all of a sudden all *chaos* breaks loose under my chair - Sky and Sasha are having a set to. Took a can of compressed air and sprayed them and they finally broke up; Sky heading for her crate and Sasha bleeding all over the place. Sky managed to get a grip under Sasha's eye and ripped about 1/2 inch (thankfully it wasn't any higher.) So like most cuts on a head she was bleeding like a stuck pig! I got a look at it - she wasn't impressed and growled at me (and I've learned that when she growls it's best to just leave her be.)

I've kept Sky either outside or in her crate today because I don't want her doing any more damage to Sasha (not fair to Sky, I know.) I have no idea what that was about, but it's like the other times they've had a go at each other - seems to be over nothing that I can see. Problem is that neither of them were backing up until I 'sprayed' them.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 2:39 pm

This is a "Silly Dogs" entry ...

I went into town (Alpine, TX) a few days back. I had some running around to do - part of which was to run Sasha and Avalanche to the vet for their "annuals." One of my stops was at a watchmakers whose office is located off the road but with several cars in his parking lot (okay, to be honest, he shares his office with a used car salesman.) As I got out of the Jeep, Avalanche slipped out on me and I'm having a case of heart failure - I'm too old to go running after him (and we all know how that works anyway, right?) He sniffs a few tires on the cars, looks at me as I'm calling him - "Nope, I just got out of that there Jeep, not getting back in!" About that time a semi comes by on the highway that's maybe 30 feet away from him and he's between it and me. I called him one more time and he looked over his shoulder at the highway and made a beeline back to the Jeep. Silly country dog doesn't know what city traffic is and I guess the noise from the semi scared him. Whatever, it worked!

Sasha! When I brought her home with me from San Antonio both my vet and I figured her to be about 2 years old - making her about 9 now. I really think we were wrong, I think she was closer to 5 than 2. She's gradually becoming an 'Old Dog' (don't we / they all??) Among other signs of age, she's been laying on the floor and the callouses on her elbows are becoming pronounced. Since she normally sleeps in her corner, I took the pad out of her crate (which she doesn't use) and put it in the corner for her. So of course, she's now sleeping on the bare plastic of the crate and the other two are sleeping in "her" corner.

Argh!!! Silly dogs!!!!

Silly human, btw, is really ready for our "winter" to be over with. At least now it's settled down to highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's - for a while we were running between highs of 80's and a day later having an overnight low in the 20's - my body just can't handle that temperature change!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Phew - glad Avalanche found discretion to be the better part of valor!

I'm having the opposite thoughts with Z'ev - he's supposed to be 10 in June but the way he hops around, and now wants to play with the big boys, the way he is interested in EVERYTHING that happens makes him seem much younger. Though the slight droopiness to his eyes suggests otherwise.

As for winter. I am DONE. Done, done, done. We've had snow almost straight since early/mid November. Between the early snow and my Mom's death, I did not get my garlic in yet. Right now, sitting, cracked and sprouted in a big box. Not happy about that.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am

While I'm running around to the Vet with Avalanche today is

Sasha's Got You day!!

It seems unreal, at times, that with all the problems I had with her 'adjusting' she's now a really sweet playful - definitely in her own way - dog.  She's the only one of my pack who I can take out for a walk on the desert and let her off-leash since she normally stay fairly close to me.  Since she's a rescue, we don't know how old she is but my guess is somewhere around 9 and at times she shows her age with arthritis beginning to settle in.

I'm getting ready (woke up and coffeed) to take Avalanche back to the Vet for a follow up.  I have enough chicken on hand for another few days, but I think it's getting to be time to start adding in some 'normal' food.  

I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of the Bluebonnets here, they're putting on a show - BIG TIME! - this year.  I've seen more Bluebonnets in more places than I have ever seen in my time out here.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Look forward to Bluebonnet pics.

So... Can we assume Avalanche is on the mend?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Happy gotcha day, Sasha! I was bad and missed Kye's. He's been with us 2 years back on February 3rd.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Sash says "Thank y'all!!!" (well, she's a southern Siberian Husky, y'unnerstand?)

Follow up today with Avalanche and Mary had a little more time to explain what she saw on the X-rays Tuesday(?) It seems as if he'd gotten into something ()food/??) that:
..Filled him with gas (but he wasn't expelling any)
..Lower GI tract was "loaded"

He's been on rice/chicken and olive oil for three days now with small meals every 4 hours (more or less). He's defecated at last three times over the four days - that's good; he's watered most of the plants around here but the well seems to come up dry after a few too many.

On the follow up Lower GI looked good, he could still afford to "release" some of the feces but nowhere near as bothersome (to us) as the first set.
Stomach looked good and most of the gas had dissipated - not in the house, thankfully! She's still concerned about this "pocket" forward of his stomach (and I need to clarify that that is where it is) she says that it's decreased in size and isn't the "unidentified object" that she thought it might have been - but it's still a question mark, it shouldn't be there.

All told, he's been given a "clean bill of health." After a few more days of chicken and rice I can start to transition him back to his normal food and we see how it goes from there.

(( and needless to say, this old guy is pooped! We went over to the Crisis Center this afternoon and while I was inside, he deposited a nice, gooey, green pile right in the middle of the walkway ... well, at least he's getting rid of some of that stuff he was full of ... but dog!!!!! ))

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 pm

A new friend moved into the neighborhood - about 12 miles away and needed some help getting things into the house so I and a couple of other friends went over to give him a hand ( rural living, you need help, just ask )

On the way back I just about rear ended the fellow leading us out when they saw this little guy:

The Desert Pack - Page 8 Lilbul10

Now, if you look around his feet you'll see some blue bonnets ... er, wait, those aren't blue bonnets ... Smile  while these guys are wild, they're not so dumb that they'll not take someone up on an offer of feed and water - and this guy looks like he's right at home.  I asked Steve, the fellow who sent me this picture, why he didn't get a little closer to get a better picture - that just got me a "You've got to be kidding me!" look.

Wish I'd think to take either my camera or my tablet with me, this picture is way too grainy ...

Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Look at the horns on that thing!!!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Nice longhorn and yeah im in the same kind of area, all you have to do is ask here the most asked thing is who has firewood or a plow we've had way too much snow this year
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Wow. HORNS+++ Glad I didn't find that one in the back yard!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm

If i found it unbranded and untagged in my backyard it would be going to the processor after i put a bullet in its head. No brand/tag its fair game
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
If i found it unbranded and untagged in my backyard it would be going to the processor after i put a bullet in its head. No brand/tag its fair game

Welllll...this is what I found in the backyard.  Notice - no lethal horns!!!
But, it was my neighbor's bull.  So no freezer... lol!

The Desert Pack - Page 8 Big_co10
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Yeah we get cows and horses in the yard alot sometimes in the 100s depending on the time of year they dont have to be fenced in here
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 pm

amymeme wrote:
Look forward to Bluebonnet pics.

So... Can we assume Avalanche is on the mend?

I keep wanting to think / hope so. He was fine on chicken / rice till yesterday, now we're back at square one - I just picked up breakfast and it wasn't digested enough that I couldn't identify the chicken and rice. Gonna call Mary again when she gets back from lunch.

There's a part of me that says put him on a two day fast and then reintroduce food; but there's a part of me that says he hasn't eaten enough that's stayed down to matter.

Went over to the Crisis Center (Community Center) yesterday and he made a deposit that looked really weird. The best description I can give is that it looked like a large, greenish "Hershey's Kiss" and that was it, just one little blob. He was wanting to play with the strange dogs who wandered past with the tourists (Spring Damn Break!)

He's in good spirits, ready to go if I pick up a leash; not to enthused about playing, Sky's "picked on him" a time or two and he'd normally respond but isn't.

Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm

I would fast him for 24 hours. Water only. Then slowly introduce boiled chicken and rice in very small quantities. Add pumpkin too.

Maybe avoid too much exercise since he won't have a lot of calories.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 8:15 pm

He was on Cerenia (anti-nausea medication) to alleviate the vomiting, which seemed to work reasonably well through Sunday night / Monday morning. When the last dose wore off he was back to vomiting again.

We've done two sets of X-Rays and nothing shows in them. Mary wants him up in Alpine (80 miles) by 8:AM Monday morning for a set of Barium X-Rays. So I'm looking at another US$200-300 depending on how many they need to take.

He's generally feeling good but a little reluctant to "get into" play with Sky; both Sasha and Sky are looking at him like "What's with you?" Sometimes he's stretched out but a lot of the time, even when it's warm, he's curled into a ball like he might have a tummy ache - and with no/little food I can see that as a possibility.

@dvflyer I'm not ignoring your comment but it basically follows what we did - hence the Barium Follow Up. Thanks for the good wishes, I'm at a loss with him!

Odd point is that he seems to be getting enough "juice" that he hasn't lost much or any weight and with the continual vomiting that's really a surprise.

Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 pm

No worries.... I didn't go back to review your past posts about this so I apologize if I comment on something you've already covered.

I googled green poop and vomiting and Pancreatitis came up. Has he been tested for that yet? (I did search for Pancreas and Pancreatitis on the forum and nothing came up so I'm assuming you hadn't posted about that yet).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22 ... 37  Next