A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova, and Melissa!, our December HOTM winners! HOTM - January : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Balto, Sugar, Gizmo, Nova and Melissa,
our December HOTM Winners!
Sweet Memories!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Share | .

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:18 am

Ok, looking it up now. WTF is a javelins?!!?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:49 pm

The short version from Texas Parks and Wildlife
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi. Learn something new everyday
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Ever feel like you could reach up and touch the clouds??  I took this when I went up to Terlingua Lodge (the Bad Rabbit cafe for lunch)  That's the bottom of the clouds about 300ft overhead.

Pretty, yes; green (in the desert?) yes but it's not even winter here yet and we've had almost a week of solid cloud cover - I'm really getting tired of it!!! did I say something about solar power?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 pm

You are right, it IS really beautiful. I don't know about Texas but I foresee an earlier than average winter here in California. All our seasons this year started way early. Our ocean temps for much of our summer were in the 80's as well, I can see us even getting the El Niño that we somehow missed last year and getting more rain soon. When jbealer visited San Diego back in January, we were already in Spring!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 am

Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm

wow, its so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am

These dogs are going to drive me to drink or worse!!

Sasha was in her normal spot, laying between me and the living room; all of a sudden all *chaos* breaks loose under my chair - Sky and Sasha are having a set to. Took a can of compressed air and sprayed them and they finally broke up; Sky heading for her crate and Sasha bleeding all over the place. Sky managed to get a grip under Sasha's eye and ripped about 1/2 inch (thankfully it wasn't any higher.) So like most cuts on a head she was bleeding like a stuck pig! I got a look at it - she wasn't impressed and growled at me (and I've learned that when she growls it's best to just leave her be.)

I've kept Sky either outside or in her crate today because I don't want her doing any more damage to Sasha (not fair to Sky, I know.) I have no idea what that was about, but it's like the other times they've had a go at each other - seems to be over nothing that I can see. Problem is that neither of them were backing up until I 'sprayed' them.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:39 pm

This is a "Silly Dogs" entry ...

I went into town (Alpine, TX) a few days back. I had some running around to do - part of which was to run Sasha and Avalanche to the vet for their "annuals." One of my stops was at a watchmakers whose office is located off the road but with several cars in his parking lot (okay, to be honest, he shares his office with a used car salesman.) As I got out of the Jeep, Avalanche slipped out on me and I'm having a case of heart failure - I'm too old to go running after him (and we all know how that works anyway, right?) He sniffs a few tires on the cars, looks at me as I'm calling him - "Nope, I just got out of that there Jeep, not getting back in!" About that time a semi comes by on the highway that's maybe 30 feet away from him and he's between it and me. I called him one more time and he looked over his shoulder at the highway and made a beeline back to the Jeep. Silly country dog doesn't know what city traffic is and I guess the noise from the semi scared him. Whatever, it worked!

Sasha! When I brought her home with me from San Antonio both my vet and I figured her to be about 2 years old - making her about 9 now. I really think we were wrong, I think she was closer to 5 than 2. She's gradually becoming an 'Old Dog' (don't we / they all??) Among other signs of age, she's been laying on the floor and the callouses on her elbows are becoming pronounced. Since she normally sleeps in her corner, I took the pad out of her crate (which she doesn't use) and put it in the corner for her. So of course, she's now sleeping on the bare plastic of the crate and the other two are sleeping in "her" corner.

Argh!!! Silly dogs!!!!

Silly human, btw, is really ready for our "winter" to be over with. At least now it's settled down to highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's - for a while we were running between highs of 80's and a day later having an overnight low in the 20's - my body just can't handle that temperature change!!!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Phew - glad Avalanche found discretion to be the better part of valor!

I'm having the opposite thoughts with Z'ev - he's supposed to be 10 in June but the way he hops around, and now wants to play with the big boys, the way he is interested in EVERYTHING that happens makes him seem much younger. Though the slight droopiness to his eyes suggests otherwise.

As for winter. I am DONE. Done, done, done. We've had snow almost straight since early/mid November. Between the early snow and my Mom's death, I did not get my garlic in yet. Right now, sitting, cracked and sprouted in a big box. Not happy about that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8