It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

The Desert Pack - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 2:17 am

That is awesome Al! Sounds like you got the crate pads for free? Chewy's goes out of their way to make customers happy. don't freak on how long it takes, apparently my very first order came from the east coast, and took like 5 days. My orders since come out of Indiana, and take 2-3 days dependent on what day and time I place my order. I never bought the pads, bought it to potty train Sofie, so didn't want them, I put a big towel down in it for her now, she uses it for high value treats, oddly she knows that Miya is possessive, so she goes to her crate to eat a treat, like a raw meaty bone, Miya will not go in the crate, don't think she could actually fit it either, the crate is just like yours 36x24x24, and Sofie has room to stretch some, and turn around, I do use a blanket over it, so couldn't tell you if she hunches over to turnaround, but have never seen her have an issue doing so. Glad it was a success for you and let's hope this is the answer to Sky's puddles. Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 1:21 pm

I've ordered from Chewy's before and the one thing I've found with them is their delivery (while not BAD) tends to be unpredictable - and this, being still the Holiday season for them and Fedx/UPS - probably won't help a lot.  

This must be a female thing, both Sasha and Sky are enjoying the crate, though even Sasha admits that it's Sky's crate (and still borrowed for the nonce)  Avalanche hasn't been interested in it at all.  (Could it be the desire of a female to have a safe birthing place, even though these two will never whelp a litter?)

Since Sky was piddling in the kitchen, Sasha has puddled in there a couple of times and I hoped she was past that. (Sky - small puddle; Sasha - big puddle!) but with Sky in the crate, Sasha woke me this morning to go out, thank you ma'am.

Sasha is heavier than Sky by about 15 pounds but otherwise they're close to the same size - Sasha's chubby (still) where Sky is sleek.  Sky has room to easily turn around where Sasha is a little crowded but still comfortable.  I woke up a couple of times last night to hear Sky re-arranging her pads (I have two similar to what I ordered that are older and thinner that I tossed in there)  Aaron (at Chewy's) said they'd probably ship Tuesday so I'll start watching for tracking information tomorrow.

(Since I'm good at asides - the woman who has been our FedEx driver since I moved down here rolled her truck on the way home a few days before Christmas.  She's broken about everything that she could break, is in ICU [last I heard], but expected to recover.  Since there are no street signs [well, no streets as such], no maps of the area that include the "ranch" roads, and what maps there are identify every unnamed road as "Comanche Prairie", any new driver is going to have to learn where we all live.  The one that's substituted in for the time being has us all up in arms since she dropped everything off at the POA's office and it wasn't till we called FedEx that we knew that - not a bunch of happy campers just before Christmas!  All that to the side, I *will* be watching tracking to make sure that they get delivered - I went up to the ranch office [20 miles away] to pick up my last two boxes

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Send them latitude and longitude?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 4:59 pm

amymeme wrote:
Send them latitude and longitude?

When I talked to FedEx as a part of this exercise (er, not getting my last shipment) that's exactly what he did. We went to Google earth and I pinpointed the location for him so that the drivers now had no excuse to not get here! Excuse me, but I did really have to laugh at your comment - not at you, just the comment!!!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Glad everything worked out so well. The girls must be on the smaller side as I have a 36" crate that is really a little too cramped for my boy (and he's in standard). The 42" crate is a perfect fit for my boy. And I only use the crate for overnight when we travel. Have yet to find a crate pad that is very supportive (my old guy has worsening arthritis) that I like. Currently I am using a full fledged dog bed from Costco in my boys crate.

Pics when you get it all delivered and set up? Wink

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Val, I'll do pics -certainly- It's funny, there isn't that big a difference in Sky and Sasha's size but when they're in the crate, it's like Sky has all the room in the world and Sasha's almost cramped - but one's sleek and one's chunky.

Supposed to arrive tomorrow but with a new FedEx driver I'm not holding my breath.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 10:21 pm

So Blaze is 43 pounds... would 36 be ok size for him?  Amid crate is 42" and is huge.  Blaze/Z'ev will crated for the foreseeable future in the garage.  After the first week or so, once I'm sure he has no poop issues and no communicable diseases, he will be crated in the house.  And despite the large house, almost every inch of wall space is used, so even a 6" difference would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Huh?? I know you're not asking me about crates, I don't crate, remember?? << laughing at the situation>> Sky is a very sleek 43 pounds and has way too much room in this 36" crate, Sasha is a chunky 55 pounds and it's snug- not unbearably so but snug. From his picture I think you could manage the 36" crate without a problem.

Am I reading Z'ev (זאב) correctly as Wolf?? It would be appropriate - look momma, a wolf!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Yup, Z'ev is wolf. I once saw a rescue female whose name was Ziva.. It stuck in my head ever since, I've joked, I'll get a female name her Ziva and I'll have huskies A To Z. Well, along comes Blazze and he's male. So I went looking for a male Hebrew name beginning with "Z" Z'ev was the first thing that came up! Seems rather appropriate, no. But, think I have to drop that apostrophe, it's a PIA! And, their are similar sounds in Blazze and Z'ev...
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 1:38 am

amymeme wrote:
Yup, Z'ev is wolf.  I once saw a rescue female whose name was Ziva.. It stuck in my head ever since, I've joked, I'll get a female name her Ziva and I'll have huskies A To Z.  Well, along comes Blazze and he's male.  So I went looking for a male Hebrew name beginning with "Z"  Z'ev was the first thing that came up!  Seems rather appropriate, no.  But, think I have to drop that apostrophe, it's a PIA!  And, their are similar sounds in Blazze and Z'ev...

Funny! I have a Wolf, and just got a Ziva! Laughing I chose the name Ziva, however. Her rescue name was Tess...
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Follow-up  FedEx finally got my original crates to me, now I just have to refuse the second shipment that Chewy sent.  I really like Chewy, their prices are a little higher than I can find elsewhere but I don't think the service can be beaten. ( I have to admit that I help the confusion in that I use my mailing address for everything - and it's different than my actual, residential address )

I have one crate set up (and will get pictures after I get the vacuum out - my gods the dog hair in that corner) but I think I'll wait to set up the second.  The first crate is Sasha's and since Sky has laid claim to the borrowed crate I don't think I'll confuse the issue at the moment.

From Chewy.com

• Dimensions  36 x 23 x 25 inches
  • Weight  23.0 pounds
  • Breed Size  Medium, Large

I was somewhat nonplussed by the note on the outside of the box that the crate is "For Pet use only"; my first thought was "Well, what else would you use it for?" then considering the size realized that some people (using the term *very* loosely) would use them for kids and ?????

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 10:23 pm

Al - I'm thinking of getting that to replace Z'ev's crate. The current one isn't very secure anymore. Is it well made?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 pm

It's well made, but of pretty light stock. I don't know that I'll have any trouble with my two - but they haven't indicated that they're going to try to get out. Sasha's been in and out of hers but I also haven't shut the crate door; sky goes into hers, lays at the back until morning. Z'ev may be light like Sky but I tend to think he'd break this down if he really wants out.

The sides and top are connected with metal wraps while the door and back are just hooked. Fine for me but I'd not be so sure about yours.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, Al, my kids seem to think the dog crates are playhouses. When my daughter was just over a year old she climbed on top of our 36" wire crate (same size you got) which we were using with a divider for our 2 chihuahua girls. They love to go into all the crates and hide and play in them and they don't discriminate between the wood crate, wire crate or plastic kennel/carrier. My daughter even climbed into Prince's (7 lb chihuahua) plastic crate WITH Prince in it when she was 15 months old! It is the 2nd smallest plastic crate available. I have the video to prove it and it is hilarious! Thank goodness for camera phones! I actually started recording because I thought it was cute that she was trying to get into his tiny crate...only after she was fully inside did I realize the dog was inside when he crawled out over top of her. So yeah, I can certainly see the disclaimer being "valid".

Mind you, I've never put my kids in a crate...they go in all by themselves! Got plenty of pics and a video evidence!

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

A few pictures at random ... the mountains on one of our less than sunny days ...
The Desert Pack - Page 3 P1000010

Would someone remind me just how hyper our Huskies are supposed to be ... this is immediately under my feet, that's my pants leg in the bottom right.  Of course the only way out of my corner is over the dog!!
The Desert Pack - Page 3 P1000011

Sky on the front porch ... in the shade???
The Desert Pack - Page 3 P1000014

Hi dad!! whatcha doing???  -or-  Hey dad! Look over there ... and I didn't see whatever it is he's looking at ...
The Desert Pack - Page 3 P1000012

Hey, wait that's a DOG crate ..... Both cats were in the crate till I moved the pad that was laying on top ...
The Desert Pack - Page 3 P1000013

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 3:29 am

I love these pics Al. The one of Sky in the shade is really pretty, and it's cute how Sasha (?) is watching her from inside. It's really pretty where you live. Avalanche is your Alaskan Husky, correct? He reminds me a bit of Renee's Miya.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

wow, nice view of the mountains. nice pics, and cute kitty.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 pm

The pic of the kitty cracks me up...reminds me of how the birds used to eat the cat food out of the cats dish on the front porch (that was way before Ami arrived Razz )
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Not a good morning for me.  About the time I think I've got Sasha settled she goes/we go and does something "stupid".  

I cannot figure out what her thing is with constantly having to be either right in Sky's face or right up her ass ... it gets old!  This morning Sasha was out - I don't lock her crate - when I went to let Sky out and Sasha was right in the door, to the point that I was having trouble opening Sky's crate, pushed her (Sasha) back and she nipped me. Nothing serious, just a scratch on my finger but she's been in the dog house all day long.  (( meaning I've been pissed all day long ))

It's getting to the point that Sky doesn't want to come in from outside because she has to put up with Sasha being a turd. They've only had one minor set-to in the past month (didn't say anything because it was really minor). It flared up when Sasha and Sky went to the water bowl at the same time, Sasha snapped and Sky flipped out - Sky is smaller, younger and isn't going to take any of Sasha's BS but isn't going to start anything, she's comfortable just being laid back.

Nope, no problems with her spay or glands, I had the vet check them when I had Sky in for her annual. Avalanche will become 'curious' around a dog in heat and hasn't even sniffed Sky beyond a passing "Hi!". As I said, I don't know what Sasha's problem is but it's getting on my last nerves!!

(ramble / vent)

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Ahh...the joys of animals. Last I heard, the riled man of the house was gonna' head to FL for 3 months and visit his sister if something isn't done about that cat!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm

You guys make me so thankful for my boring pets. Wink

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm thinking that I might have been a bit more forceful with Sasha than necessary and since my hand was over / in her eyes, her reaction might have been reasonable.

Silly animals are going to drive me to drink. I'm still using the borrowed crate for Sky, hoping that Sasha will use hers. Not the case, she sleeps at the head of my couch - I don't see any reason to latch her crate unless she gives me one. The cats have been sleeping in her crate and she doesn't care; today Avalanche has been spending a lot of time in her <her???> crate.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 am

I guess since tomorrow is Sasha's "Got ya!" I should probably say something nice about her.

This evening when it was time to feed her, I headed to the back store room - which is where I feed her so that if anyone else is in the house we don't have a problem - headed out ... the back door's wide open! ... set the cup of her food on the floor, told her to stay while I went to get her lead - and she did!  I'll admit she was impatient about her food, but she was good about just setting there while I made every mistake in the book!

It's been five years now - and doesn't seem like it - sometimes it feels like she's been here forever and other times it's like she's still the new anxious pup she was when I brought her home from San Antonio.

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 4:09 am

Happy Gotcha Day Sasha!! Never seen your pics, gosh how did I miss that. Smile You have such a nice looking pack, but you missed kitty #2, what does he look like? So am I guessing right that your neck of the woods is more green in the winter? Out of your three pups Avalanche seems always happy, I guess that is why you call him your perpetual puppy, I call Sofie my forever puppy Smile Have to have one in the pack to keep you laughing.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Happy gotcha day! Time flies. Before you know it you will have had Sky for 5 years.

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 38Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next