It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Training.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Britney Tamburo
Newborn
Newborn
Britney Tamburo

training - Crate Training.  Empty
PostSubject: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 pm

training - Crate Training.  13723811training - Crate Training.  13731911
This is Sky, she is 1 year and 9 months old. We got her middle of June 2016. We have been trying to crate train her. The cage she has now has lot of clips and zip ties on it because she has broken it getting on while we are not home. I'm looking to get her a new cage that she can't break and is not too expensive. $0-150.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi Britney and welcome to the forum.  Nice looking pup you have there - bi eyes are weird but nice.

Your going to get one question, initially so I'll throw it out first:  "How much real exercise is sky getting?"

Secondly you make several observations, but never ask a question.  Do you need help crate training Sky?  Are you seeking recommendations for a crate?  Just how can we help you?  And since I don't crate, I'm not going to be a lot of help but just hope I could get you to give us a little more information so we can help you.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Britney Tamburo
Newborn
Newborn
Britney Tamburo

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 pm

We try and walk her as much as we can.But it has been so hot lately here 90+ and walking her 1-2 miles is not good without water. i do need help crate training her,the guy we got her from said he never did crate her. i also am looking for a "husky proof" crate.

We also have been giving her anxiety medication, it has calmed her down. she only tries to get out and tends to destroy things while we are gone or even go outside for a little bit.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2016 10:42 pm

"Husky Proof Crate" - sorry ma'am there ain't no such animal! If you have a Husky who wants out badly enough, they can seriously hurt themselves trying to get out of the crate.

Hot? -I live on the northern Chihuahuan Desert in southwest Texas (we also have several other Texans here) the high today was something like 98f but we often see well over 100f Mine get a short walk in the morning (normally less than 1/2 mile) when the temp is in the mid 80's and then in the evening the get their long walk / run, even though the temp is still well into the high 90's (I have two who can go off lead in an area where there is little distraction) so while I may go a mile, they go 2 - 5. I do not ever suggest off lead unless you're certain that you can effectively recall your dog (a husky, let's be real).

Have you reviewed the threads here - and there are several - about how to correctly crate train a dog? You can't get a dog, stuff it in a crate and expect that it'll do nothing until you get back to it. If it didn't have crate / separation anxiety before, it will now.

Are you a first time dog owner / first time Husky owner? What experience do you have training a dog? (I feel like I'm pulling teeth here)

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh, and I probably do, but so many people get a Husky, have no idea what they're getting and then find they have to pass it along because they can't handle it. I recently adopted a girl, coincidentally named Sky, who has been rehomed over 5 times ... this is not fair to the dog and by itself can lead to major anxiety issues.

Regrettably, many of our members are out over the weekend (I'm old, retired and spend way too much time on a computer) so you'll often see me chime in. Hopefully someone else can offer some help / suggestions with crating.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 12:57 am

Howdy Britney!  I had the exact same crate you have and my Husky, Zhukov, destroyed it.  It looked like a sasquatch had gotten hold of it.  I ended up getting a solid plastic crate on Amazon much like this https://smile.amazon.com/Ultra-Vari-Kennel-28-25-30LB/dp/B000MLG484/ref=sr_1_50?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1471059640&sr=1-50&keywords=dog+crate  I also got metal screws and bolts for the connections and a door with a better locking mechanism. These dogs are super smart and escape artists.

I also stopped putting blankets and towels over and in the crate.  Zhukov would pull them through the bars and shred them.  It seems like it was a contest to see exactly how much he could destroy.  I would put a good TOUGH chewable toy in the crate with him so that he had something in there to play with.

As far as training, it was the roughest part of training that I have ever encountered with a dog.  He almost broke me on several occasions.  I swear, he would cry out "No, No, No, NOOOOOOOOOO...." for hours on end.  Establish a routine for bed time and stick with it for a couple of months.  Also, I found that giving him a command such as "Kennel up!" and then feeding him inside the kennel really helped.  Also, giving him his treats inside the kennel and randomly putting his favorite toys in the kennel made him more comfortable.  Now, he will go lay in the kennel when he is tired or just wants some alone time, and willingly goes in the kennel when I tell him to. 

Consistency is the key here.  Set a schedule and stick with it.

On a side note, don't mind Al.  He comes off as a grumpy, curmudgeonly, cranky old man, however, he has some of the best knowledge I have seen on these forums.  Laughing  Also, feel free to post lots and lots of pics of your little furry buddy here.  We love to see them grow!
Back to top Go down
Freyja
Newborn
Newborn
Freyja

Female Join date : 2016-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 3:06 am

I use the MidWest iCrate (not too expensive on amazon) without a problem.

My girl hated her crate until I found a treat that she goes nuts for (Isle of Dogs Soft chew Chillout treats). She's only fed the treat in her crate. At first she would go running when she saw me grab the bag but now just the word "crate" works.

Maybe try out different treats? I also keep a long lasting chew (Himalaya dog chew) in the crate. I know others use Kongs.

& Congrats on the new dog! She's beautiful (love the hetrochromia)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training.    training - Crate Training.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Training.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1