It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 pm

I am so sorry, Jennifer.
Hoping for the best outcome.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Hugs Jennifer. Sierra will be ok, I'm confident of that, she's proved it over and over.

I think you would be one of the first people to step up if any one of us was in your situation, so I'm hoping enough of us here can step up, to help you.

Please keep us posted on Sierra's condition.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Sierra cried a ton on tue till about 1am from the anastasia Sad she slept all day wed while i cooked and baked, no nap for me.
Thur she was a little more awake but was ok laying around.
Yesterday she was back to herself and did not want to lay but sdand and be with us! This is an issue and she needs to lay down to heal the right leg and prevent the left from farther damage. We have to keep a towel around her back end to hold her up to stand and walk around. She can not get up on her own and right now that is a good thing as she should not be moving. Im carrying her upstairs to sleep at night which also means when she has to pee in the middle of the night i have to carry her back down and follow her around in my rob freezing in the middle of the night. Oh the things we do for our babies!
She had a check up and laser treatment yesterday. Her leg is swelling so we have to put her back on steroids.
Im glad i have had this time off to care for her and worry about going back to work monday as she cant move around to even get water.
Just taking it day by day right now.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 2:13 pm

Oh, Jenn, so sorry for Sierra and you. Hope she is on the mend soon. I know it has been real tough for you, but the love you have for yours as we all love ours, we would move the tallest mountain to make sure they are healthy and safe. Take care and keep us updated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Such a wonderful momma you are. Sierra is so lucky to have such loving parents!

Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm

i hope she feels better soon, she is very luck to have such awesome fur baby parents.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 5:56 pm

So i am one strand away from a complete breakdown.....

At 4am i had Sierra out for a potty break and her Left leg (1st one) started clicking....had a vet apt this morning anyways for laser treatment so it looks like the meniscus popped back out Sad the vet wants me to get her a brace for the left leg as we wait for the right to heal in order to fix the left leg.
I called our Physical Therapist and she said the brace will not help if the meniscus is out of place and as long as the "strings" are intact the knee is stable and a brace does not help keep weight off the knees so the pressure will still be on the meniscus.

the brace runs up to and over $900 its not just a well why the hell not just do the brace better safe then sorry when you know you are looking at another surgery that will be a few thousand dollars.

I am just torn on what to do now and am looking for some help, anyone......?

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Jennifer - I have little experience with dog menisci but for me, most of my right medial meniscus has been removed. I shredded the thing...sort of skiing - took my skis into the shop to be tuned and pivoted on my right forefoot. Bad move. It's known as a degenerative tear. They removed all but the rim around the edge. I function fairly well without it, most of my issues are with the tendons from the adductors to where they connect below the knee proper.

Don't know if this is helpful - so sorry for the continued problems.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Wish I had some advice for you but I have zero experience in this department. I just hope the physical therapist is right. <<Hugs>>

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 4:10 pm

How much would it cost to put a cast on her leg? I'm thinking a cast would accomplish the same thing as a brace, wouldn't it? Or am I being totally stupid?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 4:34 pm

time for an update, Sierra's mood is starting to be affected by not being able to move around. This has by far been the hardest thing either of us have been through. I know her youthful behavior has been in part due to the active nature i have kept for her and keeping her in her crate sucks. Following her around holding her up with a towel is also draining on all of us. This morning she tried to help herself down the stairs from the bedroom as i turned around for a sec! almost gave me a heart attack, i caught her as she had her front 2 paws on the lower step! She had a laser treatment on both knees this morning, she has 2 more sessions left, we also took her stitches out today.  
The vet is working on pricing for a bilateral brace from Wound wear today, going cost is $500. I hope we can get the braces ordered this week as that will make her life much better if they work.

here she is showing some skin in her crate on Sat.

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 20161211

I forgot about this pic as well. it shows her past cancer scars Sad poor girl has been through a lot.

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 20161110

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Jenn, This was recommended in the gsd forum I belong to, acl issues and looks to be far cheaper, worth a look?

http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/products/cruciate-care-knee-brace/

Renee
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Renee,
I had looked at that one but they do not offer the brace for both knees. wound wear's support seemed better as far as fit goes, and we can do both knees. Most of my googling happened in the middle of most nights. my vet also had heard of wound wear in her own research.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm

I have been meaning to text you about her. I am glad she is doing a little better. What does this brace look like?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that link, Renee. I had no idea there were leg braces for dogs for arthritis. I may have to do some more looking into this. Not to get off topic but these type suggestions help others with unrelated ailments. (My Dakota's arthritis is getting increasingly problematic even though I haven't shared any updates on him.)

Interested in knowing what you decide as far as a brace, Jenn. Not that I'm in the market (at the moment) for an ACL brace but perhaps something for arthritis is made by the same company as what you end up getting.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks Val, my sisters 9 year old Golden is having issues, so when I am browsing this forum and the gsd one I stumble upon stuff and pass along to her. And I know some members have older dogs, when I seen Jenn's thread and then that one and seen it was cheaper, thought I would pass it along to this forum. Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 6:00 pm

here is a link to the one we are looking at, there are some videos on how to put it on but not really any great images.

http://www.woundwear.com/

Val, that sucks about Dakota Sad

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Got Sierra's braces in and after talking with the company with pics on fit i think we figured it out. she has not been in them long as i was not sure it was right but now that i know, i think Sat will be her first full day in them. I am really hoping they help her. She has her first PT session next wed to start on both legs.
her spirits are improving, she is getting into paper and pooped on the floor!

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 20161214
her Mohawk on her back!

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 20161213

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 20161215

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm

As with anything I'm sure they will take some getting used to, but she seems to be getting used to the braces alright. Hopefully all this will really help her out so she can get back to normal. Poor girl been through a lot.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 4:18 pm

She seems to get around really good in it! Second video, she gives a look at the end like "why you keep making me follow you!" Lol. I really hope this does the trick and she's back to her old self soon. She's such a sweet lil girl
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 6:54 pm

she is moving around really good, those should make her so much happier know that she has some mobility. and she get back to her old self again.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

How's she doing now that she's had some time to adjust to the braces? Are they making a noticeable difference?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm

We had them on her all weekend. Once we got all the kinks out they are staying in place ok, we do need to adjust them as they are slipping down even with the strap that goes over her back end, i have made that tighter but it must be slipping, her thighs are also small and i have the strap as tight as i can get it on the top so we just need to readjust every few hours. she still has a hard time if she lays on the tile she can not get herself back up so during the day at work we still have her in the crate with no brace. in the morning before i go to work, about 2 hrs she can move around with no brace to try and keep the legs gaining strength, when Ken gets home he puts them on as she will be moving much longer at night.
We have her first Physical Therapy tomorrow night for a re-evaluation and treadmill time, i will talk to the lady some more about the braces and use and what she thinks Sierra's treatment looks like.
she is acting more like herself so she must be feeling better!
Our family starts showing up tonight and fri night then we are off to a cabin on Monday, so im glad she is getting used to the braces and is more stable, even for the car rides as my girl that would lay and not make a sound will not lay in the car anymore!!!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 1:40 pm

So in the last month Sierra has made so much progress, she is getting up to 20 min walks, she starts out strong but slows down half way through so we need to work on her endurance, which i am sure will come in time.

Here she is at the start of our walk the other day!

The braces are still  PIA, they slip down the leg no matter how often i adjust them or the strap that goes over the top of her body, the velcro also gets clogged with fur that i need to use duck tape to remove, BUT they are still better then not having any support on her legs so i will deal with it. We have been using the braces when we are not home and on walks, when we are home we take them off and keep an eye on her, the PT wants her to strengthen the legs and does not want her in the braces all the time.

We have been trying to get her to climb the inside steps and for the first time last night she did the top portion of them, about 6 steps, we were so happy.

We still go to PT once a week and do the water treadmill, she is up to 8 min in there and then they do massage work on her, we will keep it up as long as we can keep paying for it and see improvement.
This is a long road to recovery and you need to take it slow and with a husky it increases the challenges so much more, like the stubbornness of them! trying to get her to do her exercises at home is a PIA but we do what we can.
so that's it for now. sorry i have not updated sooner.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Happy to hear about her progress, Jenn. Sounds like Sierra can handle walks better than Dakota now, I may have to get a brace for him if we can't work anything else out with him. So happy to hear the progress, especially with the steps!

PostSubject: Re: Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE   Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sierr's ACL surgery and her recovery AND NOW THE OTHER KNEE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next