It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to deal with a stubborn dog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JupitertheRedGiant
Newborn
Newborn
JupitertheRedGiant

Female Join date : 2016-09-01

How to deal with a stubborn dog? Empty
PostSubject: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Jupiter was antsy to get outside this morning, and I wanted to wear him out before I left for work, so we left for what I thought would e a quick run. He wouldn't speed up to keep up with a slow jog, so we settled for walking. 45 min in I started walking back but when we got to the bottom of the stairs he sat down and wouldn't move. He's pulled this one or two times, but usually if I wait it out he'll follow me in a few minutes. He was pretty stubborn so we went for another fifteen minutes, we got to the other end of the lot and he laid down and now won't move at all. I'm just trying to figure out why he's doing this and how I can encourage him to move. I have work in an hour and I'd like to at least shower haha. Any tips?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 1:48 pm

You have to be firm, persistent, consistent and have a ton of patience. I would make a serious commitment with the recall command, I use "let's go" you have to have an authoritative voice, you have to mean what you say. He just doesn't want to stop the fun, typical husky, but there are times when we have to get serious and they have to respect you as the leader. It takes time, bond building, but eventually he will get the point. Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Have you tried bribing him with treats?
Hold it in your closed hand in front of her so she can smell it. Then start walking back home with your hand by your side. If she follows and starts walking with you release the treat to her, and give her another upon getting home.
My dogs have always been willing to do about anything if it meant a treat.

Vet? Oh hell no....wait, is that a tiny salmon treat I smell? Wait, how'd I get inside and on this table?

Has he started eating better yet? He could just be tired, and the recent transitions for him could be somewhat depressing. He may even be wanting to avoid her new home due to feeling abandoned.
Try spending a lot of one on one time with him this weekend inside. Make it fun. Make sure the entire experience is pleasant so she starts to associate good times with the new environment.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 4:15 pm

I could be completely off base but first he wouldn't keep up with you, then refuses to move/go up stairs, is it possible he is hurting or not feeling well? Or you pretty positive it's stubbornness?
Back to top Go down
JupitertheRedGiant
Newborn
Newborn
JupitertheRedGiant

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Miyasmomma, thank you again for your advice, it's comforting to know this isn't completely abnormal. I'm sorry for all these "Call for help" posts, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

No worries, happy to give tips. This community is great, everyone is helpful, everyone shares their experiences and knowledge. Ask any question you have, post as often as you need. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Smile
Back to top Go down
JupitertheRedGiant
Newborn
Newborn
JupitertheRedGiant

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Kmanweiss, he's still a new dog and he hasn't eaten yet so I've restricted all his food to just his kibble in the morning and at night. I'll definitely try the treat trick when he's more settled in for sure though! I think I really do need to work more on making the house a more fun environment. He doesn't find toys all that interesting but I definitely could be more persistent! Thank you for this advice, this has really given me a better outlook for the next few weeks!
Back to top Go down
JupitertheRedGiant
Newborn
Newborn
JupitertheRedGiant

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Arctic Wind, I know his tummy hurt a little yesterday but he honestly seemed so much better today that I just assumed he was being testy. We're going to the vet tomorrow though, so I'm hoping that will settle some concerns. Or at least tell us how to deal with anything that is wrong.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Elliott Jimmy (@Artic_Wind) raised a valid point. I find it unusual that any Husky less that 14yo couldn't/wouldn't keep up with someone who was jogging. I would be less concerned about stubbornness than health from what you've described.

And since I'm going against other comments, treating a dog to entice him to do something is really bad form - IMHO. One rewards for proper behaviour performed, not as a means of enticement. *that*, again imho, leads to a dog who knows he can get a treat if he *doesn't* do what you want - not exactly what you expect from a pup.

*BUT* since we've discussed his not eating before, if he's still not eating, it may be nothing more than a lack of energy from lack of food ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to deal with a stubborn dog?   How to deal with a stubborn dog? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to deal with a stubborn dog?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1