It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diarrhea After Switching Food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
derekvw
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2016-09-19

diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food Empty
PostSubject: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 1:42 am

I have a 7mo old husky. I got her a few weeks ago and her previous owners were using Iams Smart Choice Puppy. She just ran out of what they gave me, so I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a bag of 4Health Grain Free Puppy.

The first feeding of the new food, I put way too much new food in. Probably 75% new, 25% old. She had diarrhea that night and threw up a bit in the morning. The next feeding, it was 25% new, 75% old. Again, more diarrhea throughout the day. The next feeding, 10% new, 90% old. She still is having diarrhea like symptoms. There however is more solid stuff coming out, but some is still pretty soft.

Pumpkin seems to be the go-to thing to help alleviate these types of issues. Should I go pick some up? Also, should I switch back to the Iams food? According to dog food adviser, the 4health food is better than Iams. I thought I was doing her a good thing, but I kinda feel bad. She hasn't seen a lack of appetite or energy though. Everything seems normal except for the diarrhea.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 10:14 am

I would try the pumpkin. It was a game changer for me. As to the food, if she is used to Iams, it may take some time to get her tummy used to the 4Health. It took Zhukov a couple of days to get used to his new food. Just make sure to keep plenty of water out and maybe add some Pedialyte to it, to help keep her hydrated.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

Some dogs require a slower transition than other dogs. You may need to feed 10% new 90% old food for a few days combined with the pumpkin and only go up 5% every couple days at a time until the switch is made. The iams food is only 25% protein where the 4Health is 29%, so much richer. A little bit of the runs is to be expected. Your pup should work past it with some time and the pumpkin.

Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Pumpkin is a godsend, it's the only thing that's fixed our diarrhea issues with the dogs on antibiotics. Mia had a similar stomach to your pup though- we got her when she was on puriba pro plan, and it took over a week to get her off of it. Just got slow and add pumpkin to help the process along-good luck!
Back to top Go down
derekvw
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2016-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 10:57 am

I got her some pumpkin yesterday and that seemed to work well during the day. She didn't seem to eat the pumpkin with her food in the evening until I fed it to her. She probably ate most of her food at 6pm and then the pumpkin at 8 or 9pm. She woke me up about every hour from 12-5am last night to go outside. It seems like the diarrhea is pretty minimal now, but regular. (at least last night)

Would part of the issue last night be due to not eating the pumpkin earlier?
Also, how much pumpkin should I be giving her? I read online that it should be 1 tbsp a meal.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diarrhea After Switching Food   diarrhea - Diarrhea After Switching Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Diarrhea After Switching Food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1