|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!
Reputable breeder or no??
Join date : 2016-09-29
Location : Virginia
|Subject: Reputable breeder or no?? Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm|| |
Hi! I'm new to this page and don't currently have a husky (yet!) I want to get one this summer, so I've been doing my research and am trying to find a good breeder. I live in Virginia, but I'm willing to travel a little bit. I found this breeder in TN and I need help deciding if this breeder is legitimate or not! Anyone ever heard of Sartain's Siberians? If you google the name you can check out their website!
Anyways, anyone is welcome to give me their thoughts! Thanks in advance!
Join date : 2014-06-26
Location : west Texas
|Subject: Re: Reputable breeder or no?? Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:25 pm|| |
I'm not familiar, however according to their website they guarantee blue eyes, that is a red flag, their animals do not appear to be within breed standard. I see nothing that says they work or show their animals, and lastly I see no health testing on their animals, like OFA Hip and Eye testing. Unless another member here has additional info on this breeder, I would stay away. Welcome to the forum and I feel it is awesome of you with researching and having patience to find the right breeder. I'm sure others will hop on and try and give suggestions.
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : Terlingua, Texas
|Subject: Re: Reputable breeder or no?? Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 pm|| |
Like Renee, I've never heard of them before. The two good things I find in their favour are that they:
- Breed Only Siberians.
- Seem to have no complaints on the web.
The things I find less than good are:
- There is no indication of any testing. No OFA, no CERF, no nothing. And certification by the AKC is about as good as <#%>paper. It really means almost nothing.
- The seem to always have puppies available. Suggest that they are over-breeding their dogs. Read "Puppy Mill"
- Advertise that they have puppies for sale - a good breeder doesn't have to advertise, they always have a waiting list!
- I see 15 breeding females. Definitely a Puppy Mill in my book.
- They're not registered with the BBB; they also have no complaints with the BBB - that's a wash.
- There are no pictures of the litters in place with their damn. If they're proud of their birthing areas, they should show it.
A few of other things that bother me that might not bother others.
Their web site carries a 2009 Copyright - that suggest that it's 7 years out of date. What may have happened there in seven years?
Rather than using their "SartainsSiberianHuskyPuppies.net" for an email address, they're using the email provided by their service company "Blomand.net" email.
Their web site is hosted by Yahoo. I have a personal problem with someone who uses the cheapest provider they can find - does it carry over to what they provide their pups?
Join date : 2016-09-29
Location : Virginia
|Subject: Re: Reputable breeder or no?? Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 pm|| |
Thanks everyone! I also seemed a little put off about the blue eye guarantee thing, because how can you truly guarantee eye color?? If anyone has any good breeder recommendations in the Virginia area or nearby states let me know!
Join date : 2012-11-01
Location : Spokane WA
|Subject: Re: Reputable breeder or no?? Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:31 pm|| |
Red Flag #1-
No accomplishments on the dogs they are breeding and yet claims to "CH Bloodlines". If you search any pedigree far enough back to find CH bloodlines.....what are they doing now to prove the dogs they are breeding are even remotely up to those same standards? Which also leads me to wonder where are links to any sort of pedigree on the dogs they are breeding?
Red Flag #2-
No health testing listed on any of their dogs...it's nice they offered registered names on their dogs...but even a basic OFA search comes up with nothing.
Red Flag #3-
Not much for evaluation worthy photos of their dogs, but what you do see are dogs that deviate from the standard and quite a few with obvious structural faults.
Red Flag #4-
AKC Inspection.....though a lot of shady breeders advertise they have been and passed AKC kennel inspections, two things the general public should know is that the AKC doesn't inspect kennels unless there are complaints filed or they are breeding high volumes. The standard is registration of 25 litters per year gets you an inspection. Thats an alarming number of puppies produced.
If you are looking for reputable breeders I suggest starting with the Parent Club's referral directory. http://www.shca.org/shcahp4f.htm and reading the Guidelines for Ethical Breeding as a reference to assist you in identifying these red flags
|Subject: Re: Reputable breeder or no?? || |
Reputable breeder or no??
|» Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :) |
by essiyll Yesterday at 11:33 pm
» Sable Husky
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 7:17 pm
» What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)
by HuskyAvalanche Yesterday at 1:37 pm
» Doggy Lick Pads
by mitnworb Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 pm
» It happened again.
by mitnworb Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:20 pm
» New here‼️ Hey there ????????
by Babys_Mommy Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:21 pm
» Is my Baby a pure breed?
by Babys_Mommy Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm
» Hiking with dogs~ front range areas
by jbealer Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:22 pm
» Always Watching!
by Liv_Skye Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am
» Flea and Tick Treatments...
by TwisterII Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 am
» Bringing a small breed to our family
by Liv_Skye Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:01 pm
» Ami the Protector
by amymeme Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 pm
by amymeme Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:49 pm
» Wooly or not?
by amymeme Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 pm
» Seed banks or websites
by amymeme Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
» Hey peeps, new guy here.
by Gillian Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 pm
» Frosty morning!
by Liv_Skye Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 am
» 52 weeks of Husky
by Liv_Skye Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:42 am
» Help with coat color?
by Liv_Skye Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:19 am
» Unique Husky up for Adoption
by amymeme Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm