It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Biting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Puppy Biting - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 1:59 am

Renee, she was about 60 years old and at that time, breeding huskies for like 40 years or so...I'm pretty sure there were a lot of old school things she still did Wink
Back to top Go down
kwdrysdale
Newborn
Newborn
kwdrysdale

Male Join date : 2015-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 2:13 pm

This is an excellent thread! I have finished reading all 7 pages AGAIN and have been able to take some more knowledge that we can start implementing with Akira. She is still really young, really likes to chew on everything but is learning quickly who she can chew on. lol Both adults in the house are much more consistent with removing our arms/hands from the picture. Our kids tend to pull away which excites Akira and she comes back for more. Then they push her away to try and get some space...and the GAME begins. We are working with our oldest kids with this and they are slowly learning. They can see by our example that it DOES work. It's awesome to see that Akira can come sit on my lap and if she gets too mouthy I just put both hands behind my back. She doesn't like that at all because she wants me to be petting/cuddling her. I wait until her barking fit is over and then resume petting again. Usually only a couple barks, but sometimes it lasts awhile. lol

Our biggest challenge is that when walking away she goes after our legs/ankles. I will be trying one person's suggestion of lifting the heels up more towards their face to keep her away as we go hide from her sharp puppy teeth. lol Any other tips are more than welcome!

Another question...I see a lot of people say they let their husky just lightly chew on their hands as an affectionate thing. I know this is not a puppy stage thing due to training confusion, but when did you start allowing this?? Was it hard for them to distinguish the difference between biting and mouthing?

** EDIT ** It would be awesome to hear back from anyone that is willing to share how their now older dog is doing with their biting issues. There are quite a few older posts where their puppy was really young and they now have a 2-3 year old adult. Just a little encouragement for us puppy owners. Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Kevin, at about a year old Miya understood the pressure of her mouth. I do allow the affection/play biting now that she is older, occasionally she bites down a little hard and the "Miya be gentle" will come out, in a nice calm voice. I personally played tugs with her, under my terms, to allow her to understand when it was appropriate to be mouthy, and also to allow her to do what is natural to her. I would recommend that for the adults only, again at your terms. I actually installed tugs as a training tool with Miya, probably around 4-6 months. Using the tugs as a reward for training. Again on your terms, play tugs, out of the blue start teaching drop it, leave it, and other commands. The reward is resume playing of tugs. I also, imho, believe the rewarding through tugs made her understand that I was the one in control, and what type of mouthing/biting was appropriate. I hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wolfpack17
Newborn
Newborn
Wolfpack17

Female Join date : 2016-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 am

I want to try the isolation method, but my 11 week old has a short attention span and could quickly get into something else while i'm gone for a minute.
Carter loves to put his mouth on everything, hands, calfs, my border collies tail, ect.  He is not swayed by no, or yelps, or shaking a coke can with pennies, turning my back to him, or other toys.  He likes to put his mouth on your hand while attaching the leash too.

Is the husky stubbornness coming out when he shows no regret when I'm correcting him?
Puppy Biting - Page 6 13435416
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

I would tend to lean toward puppy playfulness and excitement. If you want to try time outs you will need to make a very dog proofed spot like a bathroom with nothing he can chew on or gate him in a laundry room or kitchen. Somewhere that has everything picked up and nothing for him to get into while you are ignoring him. My boy sometimes gets mouthy when he gets excited so I make sure when I am dealing with him that I don't use a high pitched voice and sometimes I don't talk to him at all. If he doesn't calm down I put my hands behind my back and wait quietly. Eventually he sits and stares at me and I can begin again to put the leash on.

Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyWed May 10, 2017 6:03 pm

we went threw the same thing with my little guy. we bought stuff that tasted bad to the dog and sprayed it on us before playing with him, so if he bit our hand or arm he would let go because of the taste.
As others had said, saying ouch (high pitch), or get up and turn your back.
For the most part she is young and probably just feels good to bite stuff. you can look up a whole bunch of stuff to give her, like frozen broth, lets her chew but also numbs the gums from all the chewing.
wish you luck ! (:
Back to top Go down
Marco Berck
Puppy
Puppy
Marco Berck

Male Join date : 2017-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyThu May 11, 2017 12:00 pm

It took a while, but Yuka is doing great for the past 3 weeks. Now instead of biting in our hands he kinda fake bites against/next them, which i have no problems with as it is fun for him and painless for us Smile .. He still does sometimes nip with his front teeth though but that's also getting less by the day.
What we did is say no and redirect to a toy, if he would still go after our hands we say no and ignore him or reward him when he did well for a while. So apart from the occasional front teeth nip, he's doing great and even stops right away when he feels a finger while grabbing a toy that's in our hands, another added bonus is that he learned what no is, which helps with other things like picking up stuff from the ground that shouldn't be in his mouth etc Smile
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

Female Join date : 2018-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 am

Enzo is 4 months old now and has been playing pretty rough with my two Bichons. Sometimes they do well with open mouth play, but sometimes Enzo just bites and pulls their tails, face fur, and ears. I did read that they play pretty rough, but is there a way I can help curtail this until he matures and is less bitey? We walk 3 times a day and practice training skills during the walk and at home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nonnahikes.com
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Try playing a few games of tugs a day. What really worked well for Miya, was to play tugs, and if she dropped the tug then I would give her a command, like sit, and then resume the game. Every time she dropped it I would give a different command.Game never resumes unless she was calm, a simple eheh be gentle eventually works, and this also gives a chance to do more obedience training while having fun. You must keep it structured so you are the one in control, and you start the game and you finish the game so you introduce boundaries. This will tire Enzo both physically and mentally and that will curb the biting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Nice idea,
we'll give it a try
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 pm

I don't miss those days. Mars would nip at your heels during play, the more excited the worst. But trying some of the members' suggestions here, really helped. I had to carry a spray bottle filled with water to spay him with every time we stepped out to play. Enjoy your new pup.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Nonnahikes wrote:
Enzo is 4 months old now and has been playing pretty rough with my  two Bichons. Sometimes they do well with open mouth play, but sometimes Enzo just bites and pulls their tails, face fur, and ears. I did read that they play pretty rough, but is there a way I can help curtail this until he matures and is less bitey? We walk 3 times a day and practice training skills during the walk and at home.

I'm actually surprised that the Bishon's haven't put him 'in his place.' While they're a small dog, they shouldn't be that much smaller than Enzo is - even at 4 months. Even a very small dog can teach a bigger dog respect when they've had enough of the 'holy terror'.

Huskies *do* play rough, but when another dog *IN PLAY* says that they've had enough, even a Husky will learn. Dogs will do the same thing we humans do, tell them "No!" (though the dog may be a little more emphatic) and then stop playing until the Husky figures out that "rough play means no play".

Obviously, if he's hurting them it's time to call a time out. In general, I think it safe to say that no dog will intentionally, seriously hurt a house mate.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 am

The Bichons are trying. The Male Bichon has definitely established his position on things and Enzo has backed off. They even just lay together on occasion. But the female is older and gentler and her "no" isn't as convincing. But also they will play together which makes it harder for me to tell if I need to separate them, but I do when it looks like she's had enough (Because the husky could play all day!). It's getting a little better which makes me hopeful that at some point, they'll all do real well together.
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 11:10 am

Puppy Biting - Page 6 Three_10

Enzo, Bear, & Bella
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 am

I had to laugh at your picture - and that's a neat "family" picture. Bear just has "you don't wanna mess with me!" look about him. Also notice that he's closer to Enzo than Bella - wonder if that says anything?? Smile

If bear's got it in hand then I think it's safe to say that things will cool off among them. As long as he's not hurting them, I'd let them "play". If you keep interrupting, she won't have to correct him - and it's best if she's the one who says "no" - even if it's not that emphatic, she'll either up the level or he'll get the idea.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Biting   Puppy Biting - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Biting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6