It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lstanyer
Newborn
Newborn

Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) Empty
PostSubject: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 am

Hi everyone,
We have a now 6 month old male husky pup. He started trying to Mount and hump everything when he hit 5 months old which we have now got under control. However one thing that is troubling is whenever I take him to dog training which we have done from 3 months old, he jumps up and bites me and starts whining. Could this be due to the training being on an open field with lots of female dog scents around? He doesn't bite me at home or on a normal walk. Any advice would be so appreciated , also we are having him castrated in two weeks and I have been told this should help?

Thanks in advance, Laura xx
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 6:57 pm

my husky started biting me and jumping and biting around that age, i usually just step on the leash and wait for him to calm down before we get moving. it could also be that he is over excited or over stimulated. it dose get better eventually.
there should be more experienced husky parents on during the week; weekends are usually very slow.
Back to top Go down
Lstanyer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Nov 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better knowing its not just our pup. We have walked him away from the training class until he calms down but this is usually after he's managed to get a grip on my arms. I'm grateful for any advice or peoples experiences Smile x
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySun Nov 27, 2016 1:51 pm

I've always stepped into my dogs if they think they are going to jump. They get a look and then you step in to interrupt their leap and knock them down potentially. Excitement is the most likely culprit of the jumping. Burning off some energy prior to going to class may help along with the neuter.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySun Nov 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks a lot , we will definately try stepping into his jump as we can usually pre-empt when he's going to do it. We will also try giving him some exercise before class, never thought to do this. I'm really hoping the castration will help we have heard mixed reviews about it helping with behaviour. Thanks again so grateful for advice as he's our first husky Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySun Nov 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Castration can help with a lot of (so called) dominance issues but general "obedience" issues, not so much. Don't peg all your hopes on him behaving better though he will probably be somewhat more easy-going.

I'm with Jenn (@TwisterII) here. My dogs all know that if they try to jump on me, they're probably going to go head over teakettle. They also know that jumping up is *not* acceptable unless invited and even then I have one who would rather keep her feet on the ground.

When it comes to behaviour that may be harmful - jumping on someone (read old or child) is definitely in that realm - I tend to get a lot more aggressive with my corrections. I have no qualms about literally stepping on toes, for example.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lstanyer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySun Nov 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks again, I agree we know castration won't be the answer to the biting and jumping up just hope it will calm him a little. We give him a stern no if he jumps up and are working on trying to stop him doing it to others. Again thanks for the advice all of this is much appreciated as I say he's our first husky and we are determined to get it right. They are fantastic dogs so intelligent too Smile
Back to top Go down
Lstanyer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 am

Hi again,
A whole new question now our husky is 7 months now we were advised to get him a choke chain collar to help with his pulling on lead. However he coughs and splutters when drinking and I feel this is due to the constant pressure on his neck, has anyone ever had this experience and would anyone recommend a harness as I've had so many mixed opinions on them for huskies. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Whoever suggested using a choke collar on a Husky should be shot, as you're finding out the desire to pull will outweigh the damage they can do to themselves.

If you don't mind, this topic has been discussed (and cussed) to death so I did a Google search on the site.

While I have no experience using a harness but some collars / harness that have been discussed are the Halti, Gentle Leader and the Canney Collar.

Prong collars have been used with various degrees of success, but like a choke collar, imho, you need to absolutely know what you're doing.

That's a lot of reading, we can make all the suggestions in the world but in the end you're going to have to make up your mind what will work for you.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lstanyer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info I'll look into all of those, though I don't like the idea of the prong collar the choke collar was advised by our dog training club Sad but the more we go there the more we find they don't know much about the breed at all. We will stop using the choke collar and go back to his normal collar whilst deciding whether to try any other of your suggestions. Thanks for your reply Smile
Back to top Go down
Judah
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) EmptySun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 pm

You may know this already but I'm going to say it just in case, but never pull from directly behind him. It gives him more leverage and more importantly it puts pressure on his throat which might be why he's coughing. He's (possibly) choking himself on the leash because pulling is more important to him then the pain on his throat.

So my advice to you and what I tell all owners with leash issues: Always pull them to you from the side if you can. It gives you more leverage against their pull and it won't squeeze that sensitive area in front of their throat.

P.S. Martingale collars have worked well for me in the past, you could look into those while you're searching around for gear that works. Good luck!

Last edited by Judah on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : P.S.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)   Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky biting (started at 5months old...help?!)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1