It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Reputable Missouri Breeders?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alex Schwartz
Newborn
Newborn
Alex Schwartz

breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? Empty
PostSubject: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Does anyone on here have any suggestions on current breeders in Missouri? I know of one via the SHCA, in which I just emailed a couple minutes ago to see if she's still doing her thing. I found one via the AKC in Mack's Creek, MO but I've yet to contact them. I'm thinking I'm a year out from finding a place that I can have a Sibe. The apt complex I live now has lifted the "no dog rule" but tiny apt and a half hour drive to and from work won't go very well for a pup.

I'm just looking to get in touch with reputable breeders for Huskies and figure things out for the future and prepare my two cats for the adorable nightmare I brought into their lives. Ha ha!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Check and see if there are any dog shows coming up in your area and see if there are any siberians entered. That is how I met several wonderful breeders! None of them live in my state but that doesn't mean you can't form a relationship with them.

TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 pm

I live about 30 minutes from Macks Creek and have never seen anyone breeding reputably from there. Will be interested to see who they are. MO is a sess pool for breeding. Most good quality dogs you see in MO come from other states. SHCA I think will have a better shot at a good breeder than AKC. I think they actually have some standards that have to be met to be a part of their merit program. The catch with AKC is that AKC literally only cares that they are "pure", they don't care if they are good quality breeders.

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 12:36 am

There is only one breeder in good standing with the Parent Club in the state of MO....however, that does not necessarily mean that others are not breeding to a higher standard.   I would suggest contacting her and seeing if she has anything coming up you may be interested in or if she were to have any area suggestions.   I would just be very cautious as MO does tend to be a hot seat for puppy mills.  If you have any questions about how to spot the red flags I'm always happy to answer questions or concerns.

SHCA Breeder Referral List

How to decode puppy ads

The Importance Of Choosing Responsibly
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Alex Schwartz
Newborn
Newborn
Alex Schwartz

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 11:48 am

Thank you for the information thus far. I have no problem driving to neighboring states if Missouri is hard to find. And there are probably great breeders in Missouri that could help me out.

TwisterII.... http://marketplace.akc.org/elizabeth-dobbs-26726 Here's the breeder for Macks Creek.

The only thing that matters to me is being able to find a breeder that can tell me who the parents are and their temperaments, which would give me a good indication for the pups. With two cats in my home, I want to be able to know what pup I'm bringing home.

The website reads well and it appears they care for the pups but the fact the costs/info page reads that all sales are final spooks me. And the fact they breed more than just the Huskies. This screams puppy mill to me. If I have to drive out of state, I'll have to do it. The girlfriend will gladly tag along to help play with the puppies. Ha ha!

http://www.rosevalleykennel.com/
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Yeah, my second biggest concern (the first being the number of breeds they 'specialize' in) would be lack of health testing on all of their dogs and no real evaluation quality photos. Great, you have a fat gray/white dog sitting in tall grass....what does that tell me about the over all dog or structure? One dog did have a single dog in its entire pedigree that was OFAd but that was 3 generations behind the dog itself...one year health guarantee is a concern, most issues within our breed present just outside of this window...probably the 'best' thing about them is they do not sell full breeding rights and require a spay/neuter contract....and that's about where my critique ends.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm

I remember Elizabeth. Don't know her personally or her dogs, but she had a dog stolen last year when we had dog thieves in the area. Something like 13 dogs went missing and one of them was one of her females they grabbed right out of her yard.

Here is the article about the dogs where she is mentioned. Dogs Disappear in Macks Creek It doesn't help you with deciding if she is a good breeder but gives you some insight into her recent history and what she's been through. Couldn't find video of the interview but she was really distraught when she was on the news so she does at least care for her dogs, just not sure their quality.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 1:08 pm

A little ways away from you - a couple of small states - you can find Parkers Sibes

I'm interested in what others see in her web site. It's too 'chatty' for my taste (I *really* don't care that she had a child apparently out of wedlock ) at the same time she does list CERF / OFA for the dogs. The pedigrees on her dogs are listed on PawVillage.

This is a case of "I kinda like what I see" compared to some of the breeders who have web sites and "I'm not sure" since there is way too much that doesn't relate to the dogs on her site.

Comments????

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Excellent, they have done hips and eyes...unfortunately eye testing has not been kept current on most dogs they are breeding (this is an ANNUAL EXAM on breeding dogs!!)...one stud does not have a hip evaluation and most of the others have only evaluated to have FAIR hips- so while they are testing, they aren't using that testing for their breeding program. In a breed with such a huge pool of Excellent and Good rated hips should we really dip any lower? The Fairs are also producing Fairs, so we really aren't improving anything there. In a working breed, that should be considered. It appears she has been semi-active with her dogs, which is a plus and more than I can say about some. Some fair photos of the dogs, at least able to semi-evaluate the breeding stock. Agreed, too much 'personal' back story....sorry I just don't really care so much about you're past I want to see where you are now, what you are doing with the dogs, and oh yeah showcase the dogs! That's what we are here for after all!

At the risk of shameless self promotion- but to give you an idea of what I look for in a breeders' website, hence how I've modeled my own-
Keahi Siberians
Back to top Go down
Alex Schwartz
Newborn
Newborn
Alex Schwartz

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 2:37 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
Excellent, they have done hips and eyes...unfortunately eye testing has not been kept current on most dogs they are breeding (this is an ANNUAL EXAM on breeding dogs!!)...one stud does not have a hip evaluation and most of the others have only evaluated to have FAIR hips- so while they are testing, they aren't using that testing for their breeding program.  In a breed with such a huge pool of Excellent and Good rated hips should we really dip any lower?  The Fairs are also producing Fairs, so we really aren't improving anything there.  In a working breed, that should be considered.  It appears she has been semi-active with her dogs, which is a plus and more than I can say about some.  Some fair photos of the dogs, at least able to semi-evaluate the breeding stock.  Agreed, too much 'personal' back story....sorry I just don't really care so much about you're past I want to see where you are now, what you are doing with the dogs, and oh yeah showcase the dogs!  That's what we are here for after all!

At the risk of shameless self promotion- but to give you an idea of what I look for in a breeders' website, hence how I've modeled my own-
Keahi Siberians

Gorgeous dogs.  You might have shamelessly self promoted your website, but it'll help me out in the long run.  I've found websites that have told me some information and others share other info to help me out.  But yours has it all.  Ha ha!  

I've bookmarked both yours and Parker Sibes.  It sucks what happened to Macks Creek.  Going to Ohio, if needed would be okay with me.  My girlfriend would gladly help out with this.  She keeps telling me to get a puppy now with all the adorable pup photos I've shared with her over the past six months or so.

A friend of mine picked up a pup from Rosekroh which is within state but other than this Facebook page, I can't find much. I was given a business card by my friend and I've messaged them about a proper website and if it exists, I'll post it here. The link provided on the card is Facebook, so I'm not hopeful.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 3:19 pm

That Facebook page officially scared me. Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, AND mixing them? Yikes.
Back to top Go down
Alex Schwartz
Newborn
Newborn
Alex Schwartz

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2016 5:04 pm

No website to speak of. They got back to me. That's all I needed to hear. They probably pay attention to the caring of their dogs but mixing the two breeds spooks me and I feel is trouble waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reputable Missouri Breeders?   breeders - Reputable Missouri Breeders? Empty

Back to top Go down

Reputable Missouri Breeders?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1