It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 am

This is contagious!

Jenn - would LOVE to go shopping with you!

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:05 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Boy I wish you lived near me, Lisa, and could coach me on my gardening and give me more ideas.

You guys give me too much credit! I'm finding it too chilly to take pictures today...Brrrr.... I was spoiled with the 70 degree temps of last week and this week we're seeing snow flurries again!
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 am

SabakaMom wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
Boy I wish you lived near me, Lisa, and could coach me on my gardening and give me more ideas.

You guys give me too much credit! I'm finding it too chilly to take pictures today...Brrrr.... I was spoiled with the 70 degree temps of last week and this week we're seeing snow flurries again!

again? ew
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Oh Lisa I know! We went from the 70's the past couple weeks to the 40's all of a sudden. If it weren't for all the gardening I've been doing I wouldn't mind it so much. Rolling Eyes

Okay gals, I have a landscaper coming out tomorrow to measure and get me a quote for having a weed barrier and mulch put down in all the flower beds. Here's hoping it won't be some astronomical amount. Neutral

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Val costco sells a good weed barrier, not hard to do. It is a pain to cut around all the plants though. I don't care for them as they are a pain I do the old fashion put a ton of mulch down to block the weeds and then weed the whole summer with weed killer and by hand. I use thw barrier under stone or if its a bush area with no flowers. Good luck on the quote!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Yeah I saw Costco and Sam's Club carry the weed barrier. I'm just being lazy and don't want to do it myself because it would be a huge pain to cut around all my flowers and plants. I really don't think I'm going to get the weed barrier but I figured I'd at least see what the price difference is with and without it. I'm 99% sure I'll just be getting mulch done and that's it, but it doesn't hurt to find out. Hubby also wants to see what lawn care they offer as far as fertilizing and also they do pressure washing so I will also price that out to have the house pressure washed once the pollen goes away.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm

The landscaper came out and I'm having her quote me on a number of things including lawn fertilizing, extending the irrigation system, and pressure washing. But as far as the gardening aspect, she is quoting me on the weed barrier, mulch in all the beds (basically everywhere that the pinestraw is currently), and edging rocks as a border around the flower beds and trees. I would prefer cedar mulch but I am having her quote me on cedar and cypress mulch just to see what the price difference is. I should have the written quote by tomorrow.

Check out this lovely little beauty...it is currently gracing my kitchen table and smells heavenly!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0365

I planted all my new Phlox and Sedum between yesterday and this morning.

Work around the Magnolia...I planted Phlox, Autumn Joy & Moonbeam sedum around the tree.

The pots circling the trees respresent where my phlox and sedum would be planted.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0388-1

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0389

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0390

And around the Japanese Magnolia I planted Phlox and Autumn Joy sedum...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0392

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0393

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0395

I ordered an x pen online Tuesday. Going to use it to block off the area that I want to plant my ferns since it's where Dakota normally romps and without the pen to protect my plants he will most certainly trample them to oblivion. Should receive my ex pen sometime next week and then I can plant my ferns! Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I LOVE that rose!

Remember....no more buying plants... Shocked
Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Laughing I've been good so far, I haven't been shopping that is. Wink

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Hubby has a friend that's a landscaper/horticulturist-somthing-or-other. He was going to ask his friend on some ideas of what we could plant in the front...not sure if he has a greenhouse somewhere, but if he does, maybe we'll get a friend discount (or I'm at least hoping for a small one)...we got a few more weeks to go and then we can look at planting something in the bare retaining walls out front (where the pansies once graced)...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Work those connections, girl! It definitely helps a ton to get discounts.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Claudia! I went to Lowes and looked at all the plants but I didn't buy a single plant!!! bounce

They didn't have any red trailing verbena. Sad They did however finally bring in some purple lantana which I wanted...but I resisted!

Got the quote from the landscaper about the mulch. Shocked Way more than I expected. Neutral

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Woo hoo! Temptation resisted and success without buying more plants! Razz

I can't wait to see everything in full bloom!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:22 pm

My azaleas in the front are looking so good and my liriope is growing nicely too. Thought I'd share a before and after of the day we planted it versus now.

Before (March 12th/3 weeks ago):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0227

Now:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0398

A bumblebee on my Homestead Purple Trailing Verbena
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0406-1

My Astilbe Erika is growing quickly (bareroot planted March 17th), here's how it looks now:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 AstilbeErika

I ran into a cute little green snake yesterday while working. Forgot to get the pic off my camera, I'll post it soon. Smile Most snakes scare me but this one was rather cute and such a pretty green, blended in with the trees in the woods very well.

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 pm

everything is growing in very nicely! its going to be a super nice week so i know my plants are probably going to grow like crazy i'm pretty excited!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 am

Beautiful!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Update!

So how long does it take bare root stuff to normally start taking off?!

So far we've got mixed results. Of all the stuff I planted with regard to bare roots and bulbs, so far the only things really starting to show themselves and take off are the Hostas, Astilbe, Daylilies, only some of the Phlox, and my Gladiolus. Some of my Heuchera are peaking out of the ground but they suffered a setback from all the rain and possibly the cold...I think my Lily of the Valley took a hit from that too, plus what little Convalleria I had growing was attacked by caterpillars. Sad 4 of my 5 Hosta are coming along nicely even though 2 of those 4 were hit up by caterpillars...they seem to be recovering well enough though. I'm very happy to see 58 of my 60 Gladiolus shooting out of the ground. Very Happy

Question for you folks, some of the leaves on both of my Hibiscus have turned yellow and some dropped off. I see some flowers on it also getting ready to open. Any tips on what I might do about the yellow leaves? I googled some info and it seems like the yellowing leaves could be anything from over/underwatering to stress to lack of nutrients. Neutral

Pics....

My shade garden BEFORE (March 17th)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0236

My shade garden AFTER (today):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0549

Sorry I took pics looking in different directions, I couldn't remember which way I had taken it the first time. Rolling Eyes

One of my newer, healthy Hostas:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0552

One of my Heuchera, trying to make a comeback...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0566

My newer shade garden on the other side of the patio. I put up an ex pen to keep Dakota out as it's an area he normally runs in and would trample my plants without protection. Here I planted my ferns and toad lilles...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0546

I'm seeing some growth in my raised vegetable bed! (Had to put the cross bars up to keep Dakota out!)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0547

Look at all those tomatoes! Very Happy
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0572

I added some stone edging around the Magnolia here:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0553

Here's a shot of the growth in the back right corner of the yard. You can see some Glads growing along the fence line, and my sunflower growing, there is also my two flowerless creeping Phlox, my lantana and you can barely make out the new growth from my bare root Bright Eyes Phlox.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0554

Here's a close up of the Bright Eyes Phlox coming up...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0559

A better shot of my Sunflower plant that sustained some damage from the caterpillars. This one started from seed and is proving to be a real trooper. Smile
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0561

Now looking the other direction in the back left corner of the yard. You can again see Glads lining the aluminum fence, also the daylilies are coming along quite nicely too.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0556

And these last few pics are showing some of the damage from caterpillars that we are recovering from. Since putting on the powder last week the damage has dropped significantly. And while I am still seeing caterpillars every now and then I am not seeing them everywhere like I was before using the powder.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0567

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0568

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0569

Until next time, that's all folks! Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm

looking good, val!!!

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

damn caterpillars! everything else is looking great though Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

OMG Claudia, I did it again! Razz

So I got just a few more things. Embarassed Most of which were on clearance!

So the new loot includes:
- 2 pink Knock Out rose bushes
- 2 Orange Kangaroo Paws
- 1 Pink/white Verbena
- 1 orangy/pinkish Petunia
- 4 Eastern Star Dianthus

Pics of the new stuff:

Knock Out roses
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0670

Kangaroo Paws (I will be putting them in bigger pots once I find something.)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0665

Closer pic
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0666

The rest (1 Petunia, 4 Dianthus, 1 Verbena)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0672

And a couple other update pics:

One of my Hibiscus is blooming already...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0668

And my veggie seedlings are making some headway, slowly but surely.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0671

Now comes the fun part, planting all the new stuff. Razz Still haven't found anyone selling trailing red perennial verbena. Neutral

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Gurrrl! No you didn't!! cyclops

Ok, well, I guess you're excused this time since they were on clearance, and the kangaroo paws look pretty cool... Razz

Love the hibiscus! Reminds me of home!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 3:14 pm

i picked up 3 50%off plants at Lowes the other week! looking good!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh I most certainly did! Razz

Planted the roses and petunias today. Didn't get to the rest because of a hail storm this afternoon. Boo!

Before:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0669

After:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0674

Smile That area could use more filling in but I'll keep checking Lowes' clearance section to see if I find anything there that I can use to fill in the gaps around the roses.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Another update!

Got some larger pots to put my two Kangaroo Paws in for the front porch.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0713

Closer look
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0719

Also got a close up shot of an open Kangaroo Paws flower. Very different!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0726

My flower cart!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0714

A shot of the flowers on the front right side of the house.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0715

Both hibiscus are blooming now...it's funny, the flowers are as big as the plant itself! Razz
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0722

I see one of my Dicentra (Candy Hearts) finally splitting the soil! About time!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0729

Also finally gracing us with it's presence are 3 of my 5 planted Dahlia, here's a pic of one of them...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0741

Planted my 4 clearance Dianthus between the crepe myrtles in the backyard...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0730

My sunflower is growin' like a weed! For size perspective I put Faith next to it, she measures 8.25 inches tall at the shoulder!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0733

My Day lilies should have flowers opening up in the very near future! Very Happy
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0738

And last but not least, my gardenias have started blooming!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 IMG_0744

Oh and while I was pulling weeds in the flower bed along the back fence I found what I believe is one of my Stargazer lilies pushing up out of the ground. Just as I was starting to lose hope that any of my Stargazer bulbs made it! bounce

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Looking great!! I want gardenias so badly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next