It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm

jbealer wrote:
Claudia,
do not put anything in the ground other then a tree/bush or bulbs right now in CO, it will not make it. we can't plant anything safely till after mothers day and even then its iffy. after all we did wake up to snow on the ground today!!! i bought one of those "greenhouse" kits (little tray to put seeds in with lid) im gonna start my seeds April 1st that gives them 1.5 months to grow before planting Smile i planted some bulbs in pots this past weekend to see what happens. i forgot all the bulbs i planted in the fall so it will be a surprise as to what pops up this spring!

Nope, won't be planting any flowers just yet! I did that starter kit greenhouse for veggies and herbs 2 seasons in a row, but I think this year, I'll just do basil since they grow like weeds! If you want basil, roma tomatoes or green onion seeds, let me know! I have lots!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm just reiterating here, I think I want to move to Colorado. Laughing Claudia your house sounds awesome, and I want to play with Jack and Sierra... and Puppins... and omg... you all are just too much!

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:33 pm

tori if you ever need a weekend away im sure any of us will open our home to you and we are all with in an hr of one another!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Koda wrote:
I'm just reiterating here, I think I want to move to Colorado. Laughing Claudia your house sounds awesome, and I want to play with Jack and Sierra... and Puppins... and omg... you all are just too much!

Well, should you decide to visit, you're more than welcome to stay at our place! We have plenty of space! We don't have a BIG back yard, but we have a back yard big enough for a few huskies to romp around in!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm

I posted my reply the same time as Jenn...so you have a few options as to places to stay!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 pm

I I love you this forum!

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 am

Update: Between yesterday and today I planted 60 gladiolus bulbs along the black aluminum fencing at the back of the yard. Blisters all over my hands, first time I ever got a blister on my pinky finger. Laughing

Anyway, the hubby and I went shopping today for more plants. I went off on a plant shopping spree...again. Embarassed

Here's what we came home with:
4 Gardenia shrubs
1 Magnolia tree
1 Japanese Magnolia tree
5 additional Verbena
2 additional Lantana
3 additional Tea Rose bushes

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0257

I love my hubby so much for putting up with me and my shopping/gardening craze lately! He's been so supportive and really given me free reign to do whatever I want regardless of cost.

Today I finally finished drawing out my plans on paper so now it's just a matter of getting everything in the ground according to my plans.

Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and slightly cooler so I'm hoping to take advantage of the weather to make some good headway with the planting.

After I get all this stuff planted I think I am done for this spring/summer season. If I decide to add anything else this year (that I have not already bought) it will probably be whatever I can get on clearance in the fall. I would still like to add 2 more rose bushes, more azaleas, possibly some ferns, and maybe a Savannah Holly but that will probably have to wait until fall of this year or maybe next year. Other things I'm on the fence about officially but would like to get are Dianthus, Dwarf Redbud, Dogwood, Butterfly bush, and a Burning bush.

And of course, more updates with pics will follow as I get more and more planted. Watch this space! Very Happy

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:37 am

mmm gardenias are wonderful! cant wait to see everything planted!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 am

Your landscaping will be beautiful!
I bet you're so excited! (I am!)
I can't wait to see how it all grows in over the next couple of months!
I remember having gardenias all along the brick wall back home in Hawaii! I think you also said you planted hibiscus? We also had those too!

I can't wait to see picture updates as the summer rolls in!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh I can't wait for the gardenias to bloom, i love the white flowers and the smell!

Yes, we put in a pair of pink hibiscus. I grew up with hibiscus as my mom had a gorgeous, huge pink hibiscus plant in our front yard. I never could get over what beautiful blooms it had. I can't wait for my hibiscus to grow and hopefully bloom later on this year.

I had a very long day today but I was able to plant everything that we bought yesterday along with my vegetable plants. The flower beds and yard look sooooo much better already. May I just say, I LOVE my pink Japanese Magnolia! I also started working on my raised garden bed and preparing that for planting. I had hoped to get my seeds planted this week but now Dakota thinks the raised garden bed is another sandbox for him. Neutral I know it looks that way right now as I haven't planted anything in it yet but now I'm scared to do my planting and then have him ruin it. I am planning to put up a little short fence/barrier of some sort around the raised garden bed but I think I need to find and buy it before seeding. Better safe than sorry. I also want to put up a similar short fence/barrier to keep the dogs out of the flower beds. It's never been a problem before because they were empty but now all the dogs are trampling and urinating on my flowers! No

I took some pics today to share the progress. I will try to post them soon. I still have a bit more bare root and bulb planting to do that will probably take me a few more days and then I'm done with the dirty work for a while, except for my raised vegetable garden which is on hold until I can find a decent barrier to keep Dakota out.

One of my bare root Hostas that I planted last Thursday already has a new leaf branching out! Ha, funny how excited that has me! Laughing

Last edited by Huskyluv on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 pm

i just bought some bare root hostas today..8 of them. got them all in the ground cant wait to watch them grow
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Pic update!

My azaleas in both the front and back yards have started blooming!

Here's a pic of the new white azaleas out front, they have pink dots and lines on the petals and look gorgeous.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0263

My azaleas in the back yard are solid pink. I'll have to snap a pic later to share.

Here's where we planted the 4 gardenias on the side of the house. I'll post the before and after for you...

Before:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0221

After:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0260

Also a couple pics of the front flower beds with the 3 trailing purple verbena that I added...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0267

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0265

Showing off my Hostas growth! Very Happy
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0275

My gorgeous little Japanese Magnolia! Aren't those blossoms gorgeous?!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0273

Hubby's Magnolia tree...his choice. Smile
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0274

And finally my raised vegetable garden bed in progress...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0259

I am still working on the raised garden bed but this is how it is currently and I did get the bell pepper and tomato plant planted.
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0272

Planted my 3 additional roses last night and this morning I planted my Dahlia and Stargazer lily bulbs as well as my Salvia, Alcea, and Daylilies. All that's left are my 10 Phlox and my raised vegetable garden bed and I'll be done! Will have more pics to share soon. Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Beautiful, Val!!!

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Love that japanese magnolia!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks girls!

I'm finally finished!!! Well, except for the raised vegetable garden bed, but I filled that with soil this afternoon so it is only a matter of putting the seeds in...easy stuff!

Anyway, got the rest of my bulbs and bare root flowers planted finally. All of the following flowers were planted in the back beds along the black aluminum fence:
Dahlia bulbs x 5
Stargazer Lily bulbs x 10
Alcea x 10
Phlox (Bright Eyes) x 10
Daylilies x 10 (“Happy Return” x 5 and “By Myself” x 5)
Salvia x 10

Now comes the hard part...waiting. Neutral

A pic of my new trailing purple Verbena with two of my rose bushes (red on the left, white on the right...hehe, that rhymes Razz ).
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0279

Here, to the left of my feeders I have planted Gladiolus (back), Dahlia (front left), Stargazer lilies (front middle), Daylilies (front right), and Salvia (middle right)...there's also a lantana there that I bought last weekend:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0281

And in front of that one 6 ft aluminum fence panel to the right of the feeders I planted Alcea (back) and Daylilies (front):
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0280

A shot of my six rose bushes lined up along the fence, I planted Alcea between each rose bush as well:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0284

Four of my six rose bushes are already blooming, the red, purple, yellow/pink, and rainbow sorbet...my white rose is about to open any day now...here are pics of three of them:

Yellow and pink rose:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0297

Purple rose:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Purple

Rainbow Sorbet Jackson and Perkins rose (red and yellow bicolor)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 RainbowSorbet

And a shot of one of my pink azaleas I bought last year in the backyard that is starting to bloom:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Pinkazalea

And last but not least my bell pepper plant is starting to get some decent bell peppers on it!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Bellpepperplant

I will keep updating periodically as my plants grow and fill in, hoping they grow fast because I'm out there checking on everything multiple times a day. Rolling Eyes I know, I know...a watched pot never boils....but I can't help but constantly check on them for signs of growth. And I do see some noticeable growth with certain plants. Here's where I need my virtue of patience.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Val the roses look great! i love roses Smile

you all have me thinking about our damn yard and i want to take time off work and do it!!! i have been searching CL for flagstone, hope a good deal comes up like last time. i need tons of it

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

The front of our house won't look anywhere near as it did last summer Sad
It'll be interesting to see what comes up...

These threads are giving me some inspiration, though!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks Jenn, I'm loving the roses too. I have 3 roses sitting on my kitchen table and they are gorgeous! The red ones are very fragrant and every time I sit down at the table to eat I can smell them. I love you

I'm going to stop by the store tomorrow to see if they brought any new rose bushes in that I might like. I still have two more spots along the fence that are waiting for the right rose bush. silent Fingers crossed they brought more in and I find something that I like. For the record, it was hubby that suggested I stop and see if they have anything else I want.

I was browsing a couple of catalogs for flowers, shrubs and trees and it was giving me an itch for more. Shocked I should hide those things...maybe next year. lol

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Oh yes, yes I did...

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Photo0912A

Will update more later! Razz

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Okay, now I think I can finally say I am officially done planting for the spring. Will probably do more later this fall.

Anyway, yesterday I bought 2 more rose bushes to complete my row of 8 finally. I call it "Rainbow Row", those of you who are familiar with downtown Charleston will understand that one. Wink

Here are the two new rose bushes that I bought and planted yesterday:

Jackson & Perkins Voodoo
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 JPVoodooRose

Hybrid tri-color rose (Red, pink, and light pink blooms)
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Pinktricolorrose

And I also bought a pair of creeping Phlox that were on clearance as well, only a couple flowers on them (probably why they were on clearance) but here's a pic of them in the ground near my lantana...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 IMG_0319

I finally got a little garden fence to put around my raised vegetable garden bed. Without it Dakota was jumping in and out of the garden bed thinking it was there for him to play with. Since I put up the little fence he's left it alone so I went ahead and planted my vegetable seeds.

The finished product:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 VegGarden

The bare root flowers/plants that I planted a week ago today are starting to shoot out of the ground. Little itty bitty leaves are starting to show themselves. I took these pictures this morning of the leaves coming out and by this evening they were even more out and noticable! They are making pretty quick progress to show that much change in the span of 8 hours or so. Very Happy

A few pics for you...

A Lily of the Valley:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 LoTVGrowth

Heuchera...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Heucheragrowth

A Bright Eyes Phlox that I planted two days ago!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 BrightEyesPhlox

And Daylilies that I also planted 2 days ago...
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 ByMyselfDaylily

It's nice to see some progress!

And now for a few fun pics!

I took a pic of a single rose on each rosebush in order from left to right how I have them lined up along the back fence. Here they are...all 8 of them:

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 1-Voodoo

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 2-Red

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 3-White

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 4-Purple

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 5-YellowPink

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 6-YellowRedOrange

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 7-RainbowSorbet

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 8-RedPinkLightPink

Up next are a few more close up flower pics...

HP Verbena
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 HPVerbena

Sunflower seedling
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Sunflowerseedling

The next 3 are different varieties of Phlox:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Phlox1

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Phlox2

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Phlox3

White Azalea with pink dots and lines:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Whiteazalea

Pink Azalea:
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 PinkAzalea-1

And lastly the pink and yellow petunias!
Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 PinkPetunia

Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 YellowPetunia

Hopefully all the pretty flowers will help put a smile one someone's face. I know they put a big grin on mine! Very Happy

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Oh i love rose 1 and 7! im smiling now Smile
i have green poking up in my garden now Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 pm

jbealer wrote:
I'm glad! Rose #1 is a Jackson and Perkins Voodoo, and Rose # 7 is a Jackson and Perkins Rainbow Sorbet.

jbealer wrote:

Yay! I'm interested in hearing what you have coming back this year! Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

jbealer wrote:

I love rose 1 and 7 too!
I pulled up the pictures on my phone when I landed back in Denver last night and it made me smile!

I have a little greed popping up too in the retaining walls out front of our house. My neighbor around the end of the block has daffodils already! So jealous! I want some too! I guess I missed planting daffodils for this season. Not sure when I have to get them in the ground, but they are an early spring flower. They die off when summer starts up.

Petunias are cheap so I may get some planted around the base of the 2 trees we have in front. Or maybe I'll try pansies and hope they come up every year.

Adult
Adult
snrose

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

i just remembered someone up the street from me has a huge japanese magnolia..i'll have to snap a picture of its GORGEOUS flowers for you! at least i'm pretty sure it is one..haha Smile your roses are awesome! i might have to look into getting some to go along my fence lines...they are just so pretty!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 pm

cmanding wrote:
I guess I missed planting daffodils for this season. Not sure when I have to get them in the ground, but they are an early spring flower. They die off when summer starts up.
i think one of mine might bloom this weekend!!!! i put the bulbs in around Oct. but that was 2yrs ago. last year i was putting bulbs in i think in Nov. since we were having such a warm winter. sadly i think only one bulb in the front is coming up from that bunch, planted all kinds of things. im gonna water this weekend and see if that does anything for me here in CO.

PostSubject: Re: Val's 2011 gardening thread   Val's 2011 gardening thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Val's 2011 gardening thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next