It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hike distances

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
IanW
Newborn
Newborn

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Hello all, hope you and your doggies are all well.

I have on the outside a simple question, or so I thought. So many thanks in advance for your experienced answers.

'How far in distance can I hike in a day with my boy?'

I know it's not that simple with lots of factors affecting the answer. So I'll do my best in addressing them in advance.

My boy is 3 years old, weighs 23kgs or 50lbs. Is very fit and athletic. We already bikejor distances of 3-5 miles, so physically wise and taking care of him on race weekends I'm experienced in taking care of him in that environment. When not racing or in between races we do like our medium distance walks. We walk perhaps on average 8 miles a day. When we hike he doesn't carry or pull any weight, but walks mainly to heel on a lead. Where we live is quite flat and the trails are well looked after and very smooth. No rocky bits for paws to worry about etc. Our pace is generally around 3mph. He looks no different after 8 miles to before we started and temperature is around 5-10°c or 40-50°f.

What I'm interested in doing is going for a longer trek over 2-3 days and all things being equal and taking into consideration my boys condition, no weight pulling, being able to monitor him and his welfare and the gentleness of the trails........

How far can I expect to cover in distance in a day's hiking?

Again, many thanks for taking time to read.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm

With access to water, your dog can go further than you can.
The only caveats are heat and rocky ground that might tear up his paws.

I used to take husky #1 on training runs at the beach when I was preparing for marathons.
I'd run twenty miles; he probably do 30 in the same time.
Huskies are amazing athletes- they just want to go, go, go!
Back to top Go down
IanW
Newborn
Newborn

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for replying. I understand the go go go tendencies with the husky racing. Despite averaging 15mph on most pulls, he looks as if to say is that it when we are done. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing the walking 25-30 miles 2 days in a row.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Just work up to that kind of distance.
Back to top Go down
IanW
Newborn
Newborn

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Will do. We are already doing 8-10 miles in one go most days. I just want to take the next step safely. Walking 2 days in a row, all day. And camping at night. Hoping to get people's own stories and experience over those distances.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptySun Dec 11, 2016 1:52 pm

My girl at 8 years old and having arthritis can still do 15+ a day for multiple days in a row on rough terrain. I took mine hiking in the roughs of Kentucky this summer and we did 10 miles a day in 90 degree weather for 3 days. Cooler weather we could have gone so much farther. Definitely work up to it and give acclamation time for warmer temperatures.

Newborn
Newborn

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry temps here between 40-50°
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hike distances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hike distances   Hike distances Empty

Back to top Go down

Hike distances

View previous topic View next topic Back to top