It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My dog bit me.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cardin Pham
Newborn
Newborn
Cardin Pham

Male Join date : 2016-02-22

My dog bit me. Empty
PostSubject: My dog bit me.   My dog bit me. EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Okay so here the story of what happen and the aftermath.

It was Christmas eve and my dog(Kloud) was with a bunch of his brother and sister and for some reason his sister got mad at Kloud and bit him so i pull her off him and Kloud fought back with her and i try to stop it and he bit me. The bite was pretty bad to where i had to go to the emergence room that night for the doctor to fix it. I also took him to the vet already and everything is fine with him to.

Since than i notice he's been more timid around me and not as playful. Seem like he knew that he did wrong and was sad about it. My problem is actually with me. I know for a 99.99% fact that he won't bite me again and that it was because he was scare and got bitten that time that he just bit down on anything he saw but that 0.01% chance of getting bitten again scare me. I try not to show it but in the back of my head its still there that i might get bitten again.

For example, he usually bark a little when he wants something or need something but now i get a little scare he's mad and might bite me again even if i know what he actually barking about. I also usually play with him and he would snap his mouth in excitement because he was excited and this never use to bother me but now it does.

So my question is how should i get over this bad experience because i know for a fact i don't plan to give him up and i also know for a fact he won't bite me for no reason but in the back of my head the possibility is there now since it happen once already.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

My dog bit me. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog bit me.   My dog bit me. EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm

If you don't find it in yourself to trust your dog again that .01% chance of getting bitten again will go up to about 80% chance fairly fast because your nerves will set him off. Deep breaths and spending good calm one on one time with Kloud to start with. Hand feeding goes a long way to building human trust as it does dog trust. Sit on the floor with him and just pet him at night. Start with calm trust building activities and work up to the more excited stuff like what was going on when the bite happened. You should both try socializing with other dogs too. After his scare with a dog he will need some good socialization with some other calm dogs as well to build his faith back in dogs the same as you have to rebuild yours. A good things for rebonding dogs and owners and dogs to other dogs is going to an obedience class where a trainer can sit there and help you relax just as much as a trainer helps a dog relax.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

My dog bit me. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog bit me.   My dog bit me. EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 7:58 pm

I picked up a roughly 3 year old rescue who had a "bit" of a guarding issue.  In the process of getting her to trust me, I got bit 5 times - the last requiring 4 stitches at the ER.  I can now rough-house with her and food, while it's still an issue with other dogs is not an issue with me.

The major thing *you* should have learned from this is that you don't reach in and grab *any* dog when they're scuffling.  The other dog may (or may not) know who you are and is *very* apt to bite when you intrude.  Your own dog isn't paying attention to anything except the other dog and when you reach in you're apt to get bit.   I'm going to guess that 90% of any dog fights are really dominance issues, once dominance has been achieved they'll both back off with little or no harm done.

His reluctance to bring things back to normal is probably, as Jenn suggests, more due to your emotions than his own feelings. I'm (almost) 70 and over the years I've been bitten by almost every type of dog going, of course I do deal mostly with rescues who are always an unknown. Living with dogs, that is always a possibility.

You should learn, as I suggested, that you don't reach into an ongoing dog fight; mo one wants to see their dog get hurt but when it comes to my getting seriously hurt and my dog getting nibbled, I'm sorry, my dog's going to have to hold his own. While these were his siblings, they've been apart for a while and they needed to get reacquainted - and sibling dominance is still an issue.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My dog bit me. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My dog bit me.   My dog bit me. Empty

Back to top Go down

My dog bit me.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-