It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you think of this food.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

food - What do you think of this food.  Empty
PostSubject: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 12:48 am

Hello everyone,
My family has recently gained a husky and I couldn't be more happy. First I would like to mention I am from Canada so prices ect will me in cdn.
We got Tundra from a breeder from out in the country, he is almost a year and a half. The Breeder recommended using a brand sold here at walmart (canadian product only I believe) which is made in here which is a nice bonus. Its called Actrium Holistic. Here is the analysis on the puppy food which is basically the same when I compared to the adult food in the store.

Crude Protein - min- 28.0%
Crude Fat - min - 18.0%
Crude Fiber - Max - 3.0%
Moisture - Max - 10.0%
Ash - max - 10.0%
Calcium - Min - 1.5%
Phosphorus - min - 1.0%
Omega 3 - Min -0.4%
Omega 6 - Min - 2.5%
DHA - Min - 0.1%

I feed him 2 cups twice a day works out to be apx 500g a day as recommended by the breeder.  This food is available for less than half the price of taste of the wild for a larger bag here in canada. joys of exchange rates and non canadian products:roll:  
Actrium 16kg bag $40
Taste of wild 13.5kg $90

Will be making the change to adult food very soon because Puppy food doesnt come in bulk ( go companies go )  Let me know what you think and suggestions.
Optimally if i can stick with this brand i would love too. 5% off online plus free shipping, great feature for people who dont own cars.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 3:50 am

Welcome to the forum! Well, lets see here, on the outside looking in this food is a good food when it comes to most of the ingredients and the protein and fat. Where it is lacking is fiber, although if his poops are nicely formed then eh not such a big issue. The thing that bothers me most is this

Dicalcium Phosphate

Despite the danger, this problematic dog food ingredient can still be found in up to 25 percent of commercial brands. What is it for? It adds texture to the kibble, making it dry and hard. Dicalcium Phosphate is an ingredient to avoid when buying dog food because of the number of problems it can lead to. This ingredient cannot absorb water, making it nearly insoluble. In turn it acts as an alkalizer, contributes to soft tissue calcification, and from some studies is proven to lead to kidney stones. Do not let this ingredient become toxic to your pet.

It is pretty high up on the ingredient list number 6 according to what I have read, which means it is an important ingredient to the makers of this food. Now I have also seen conflicting reports on that, so check the bag and see if it's listed. how are the prices for Acana or First mate, both are great foods, and I have heard that Acana is quite reasonable in CA. If you can put up an ingredients list it may be more helpful, since like I said I have seen conflicting ingredient lists not directly off a package.
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 am

Here goes nothing. Hahah
Chicken meal, oatmeal, brown rice, chicken fat, rice, potatoes,chicken, beet pulp, whole dried egg, flaxseed, salmon meal, salmon oil, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, kelp, chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potato, Apple, blueberries, pears, bananas and vitamins.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 4:12 am

Thanks, Smile It seems like they lowered it on the list. i did want you to be aware of that ingredient. Other than that ingredient, it is also missing probiotics that some foods have, so purchasing a plain greek yogurt and giving a tablespoon of it every few days or use kefir in the same manner as the yogurt and you should be fine. Watch poops, making sure once settled in the new home, they are well formed, and because of that ingredient I will also say be watchful of UTI's, if the pup experiences frequent then I would switch to a better brand, But as long as the pup is healthy, I see no huge problem feeding it. We love pics here so can not wait to see some of your pup. And enjoy, huskies are such a great breed, they make you laugh with their antics, and can be a great outdoor buddy Smile
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 am

Awesome. We've had no issues and his poops are good. Acana isn't available in the city im in at a reasonable distance. Do you agree with the feeding amounts? Sometimes there food left sometimes not.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 4:40 am

You can cut back some. Most huskies eat 20-25% less than bag recommendations. Most feed in the 2 cups a day range, tho I do recommend feeding twice a day, so maybe 1.5 cups twice a day, and see how the body condition looks, and also base it on activity. Most are not big eaters, so 2-3 cups a day is more than adequate. My girl eats maybe 1.5-2 cups a day, most days she is highly active, and she tends to be on the skinny side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this food.    food - What do you think of this food.  Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of this food.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1