It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training to Pull

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stihl1816
Newborn
Newborn
Stihl1816

Female Join date : 2016-11-03

training - Training to Pull Empty
PostSubject: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 03, 2017 6:27 pm

So I'm very interested in training my pup to pull, most specifically I'd like to try rollerblading or bikejoring with him now that he's over a year old. Looking for tips on training the directional cues or resources (i.e. books, blogs, websites) on the topic.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyThu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I've been starting mine with training to pull. I first show him the different between the harness and his collar. Collar means we walk nicely, harness means we pull. I'm no expert, i'm just going off of what my dog responds to, but we went skating the other day, two leashes, one on the harness, other on the collar. Held onto the leash attached to the collar and let him go, the leash attached to the collar was slack, I used it for direction, which you then associate a word with the direction you are wanting to turn (helps to practice this while going for walks as well) I believe it's Gi and Ha, but please don't ask which is left and which is right, because I just guess. (I could also be completely off, but you can honestly train any word you want for left and right as long as it is consistent)
A huskies natural instinct is to pull (usually) so it's pretty much taking that instinct and controlling it so the dog goes where you want him too. I found a book on Amazon, "Mush! Revised: A Beginners Manual of Sled Dog Training", I haven't read the whole thing yet, but there were some helpful tips on it for sure. It's only $10.00 for the book, so not terrible. I am also looking for new ways of training my dog to pull, so if you end up finding more information or something super helpful, I would love it if you would post it on here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stihl1816
Newborn
Newborn
Stihl1816

Female Join date : 2016-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

Oh, cool I never thought of teaching it that way. I have been using the commands when we go out for walks. I'll have to check out that book! I'll keep you posted as we continue to work on it.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 pm

I would suggest waiting till age 2 before actually using the dog to pull any heavy weight (this includes people). And I would suggest not pulling anything until the dog is at least a year. You want to make sure the growth plates are closed. I would also recommend a good checkup with a vet that includes some questions about if the dog is healthy enough to pull. Any muscle, bone, or joint issues would only be made worse by pulling.

Assuming that your dog is over a year, you could start training. This is a long process that needs to be done slowly so the dog can build up the muscles it needs to do this activity safely.
I'd suggest using a harness and use it only full pulling. This way the dog learns that a regular collar means walks (no pulling), and that the harness means pulling.
Start by pulling small weights. A snow sled on grass is a good start. Then over a long period of time you can increase the resistance by putting weight in the sled (bricks, rocks, etc).
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

After 1 year of age most vets will clear a dog for training to pulling, even people. But you can double check with your vet. I'm not a vet myself, but my vet as cleared my dogs once they were 1. I guess it depends on the vet. There is also a difference between a person sitting on a sled and the dog pulling that person and person on skates or rollerblades gliding behind the dog. Again, check with your vet.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 pm

GenaG wrote:
... I used it for direction, which you then associate a word with the direction you are wanting to turn (helps to practice this while going for walks as well) I believe it's Gi and Ha, but please don't ask which is left and which is right, because I just guess. (I could also be completely off, but you can honestly train any word you want for left and right as long as it is consistent)

"Gee" is right. "Haw" is left. choosing your own won't matter much unless you ever get a dog that comes from a race kennel or is already directional trained. Or if you are dealing with horses. Many carriage and draft horses are trained to the same words.

Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull EmptyFri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Okay, so I was close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training to Pull   training - Training to Pull Empty

Back to top Go down

Training to Pull

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1