It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Question about Camping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

Question about Camping Empty
PostSubject: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyMon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

We bought a seasonal camper at a campground at the beginning of September last year. The camper itself is small. But there is a porch built on the front. Back when we bought it, I had my 10 year old shih tzu and her 9 year old shih tzu mix daughter. So thinking ahead for summer 2017, I wasn't worried because the dogs are pretty relaxed and love to sleep. Now Trixie (the 9 year old shih tzu mix) passed away in November, obviously I was not expecting it to happen. We ended up getting an american eskimo and a siberian husky in December.  

So camp season begins May 1st.  The problem is, I will have 2 puppies at the camp and I'm trying to think of the best way to have them there with us.  My mom suggested getting a stake so Balto (my husky) can be tied out.  I said no, he would end up pulling until he hurt himself or got loose. I don't want to have to crate them most of the day but at home whenever I try to go out the door (just to get something off the porch) they try to follow. They are getting better at 'stay', but i wouldn't count on it while at camp. At camp if we open the door and they go out, they would be gone.

There is room to put a small fenced in area for them. Maybe 10 by 10.  I know it's not the biggest area, but it's what we have to work with.  What is a safe amount of time for a husky to be outside in the summer? Here in Vermont, our summers are usually between 75 and 90.

Does anyone on here go camping and bring their pups? How has it worked for you? Is it hard? Not as hard as you thought it would be? Any advice?

I'm just trying to be prepared for the summer!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyMon Feb 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Absolutely train your pup to tether.  I would not trust a temporary fence in a campground.  When we go camping I bring a 30' vinyl covered cable tether and a piece of heavy chain with a big stainless steel spring link. https://www.amazon.com/BV-Reflective-Tie-Out-Cable-30-Feet/dp/B01K5YWLZ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1487609780&sr=1-4&keywords=30+ft+dog+tie+out    

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/detail/64-2439-spring-snap-link-s642-439

I use this to tether to either a tree, a picnic table or other solid object.  As long as you provide some shade and plenty of water, the dogs should be fine.  Since you are going to be there for the summer, you might want to look into putting up an overhead trolley.

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Aerial-Dog-Standard-FADR-100SD/dp/B00AYYGYF2

For us the big thing has always been how to keep them dry if it rains - we have a big oversized wooly who soaks up water and stays wet for a day or two.  And, we tent camp.  Since you're going to be there a while, you might want to pick up one of those plastic dog houses to go with the tether or trolley.
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm

When I first brought my husky home, I had posted on here that we had put up a dog run here at home (trolley as you called it). And someone said that it wouldn't be a good idea to use it because of the way that husky's pull.

Using a cable and just tying him out would definitely be a lot easier than putting up a fence. I'll buy one and get him used to it here at home. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Melissa, two comments from me. When I lived in Houston, I had gotten two of these. My girl pulled the first one out of the ground with a week; figuring *I* had a problem, I got another one and moved it to more solid ground - same thing. My final option was to get a mobile home stake that was about two feet long (note, I had a friend cut off the top so there were no sharp edges) used a chain extender (similar to Amy's snap link) to 'tie' the chain to the tie down. That one she wasn't able to get out of the ground (and no, she never tried to dig it up)

Second comment: be careful with inground stakes, sometimes they have no covering over the top of the stake and tend to be sharp. I was in my vets one day when a fellow brought in his dog who had basically impaled himself on the stake.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 1:11 pm

A temporary fence would be a nightmare I'd think. Some huskies can jump over a 6 foot fence, so you'd have to build one heck of a fortress to keep your huskies contained. In a campground with people, dogs, wild animals, the chances of your dog staying put would be minimal.

Using a good strong tether or trolley system is your best bet to give them the ability to roam around a bit, but stay in your area. You need to train them though. You need to work with these systems at home, in a less stressful environment, otherwise when you use it at the campground the dog may hurt himself.

Huskies will pull, but if they realize the pulling is fruitless, and they've been trained to accept their limits, they should be fine.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm

I've not had the problem with pulling. We put eye bolts into trees, attached the trolley kit to those eye bolts. BUT, and a BIG but...the little pulley thin that comes with the kit? Throw it out - Ami got his jammed and gave himself a huge thunk when he went running along the line and it didn't move. I use a very large spring spring link which may be to large a diameter for the snap on the tether so I add a piece of chain. Ami is a very large husky, exceedingly strong...and when we got him, completely untrained. He seriously challenged the trolley but never broke it...however, hubby got the idea to add a turnbuckle to the overhead wire so it could be tightened. When the system was new, fresh out of the box, it had a lot of spiral tension. A week or so later, all that twist somehow released the turnbuckle and Ami had not only his 20' tether but the 100' trolley wire that was then only attached at one end - I looked out just in time to see him, wire wrapped around at least 3, possibly 4 pieces of pool deck furniture, preparing to leap into said pool...Moral of the story? If you decide to use a turnbuckle, make sure you release all the tension in the wire before attaching. Really, if your installation is only temporary for the summer, I would not use a turnbuckle.

For your tether, if no overhead trolley - get some eyebolts and attach to a tree, a picnic table. If you're in a Vermont campground, I am sure you can find a close tree. Or, put a loop of chain around the axle of the camper - or look for anchors on the camper. I don't trust any of the in ground stakes. Especially in Vermont if the soil is rocky and shallow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Camping   Question about Camping Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about Camping

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1