It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
banesmom5
Newborn
Newborn
banesmom5

crate - ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate  Empty
PostSubject: ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate    crate - ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi guys-
So my 4 month old husky pup, Bane, all of a sudden hates his crate. We got him at 10 weeks and have crate trained since we got him. He has consistently been ok with the crate but all of a sudden, the past 2 days, I have been coming home to find him ACROSS the room inside of his crate, meaning he's throwing his body up against the sides to move it. Today I came home and not only was he across the room but he tore up the bottom plastic tray (he's in a metal crate with a plastic bottom) and had cuts on his face from fighting to get out. I immediately started crying when I saw that he actually hurt himself trying to escape.

A little background-
Bane is fairly calm for a husky pup. I don't know if this is his natural demeanor, or that he gets tons of exercise. We are essentially hoping that one day he does not need to be crated when we're at work, but for now this is his safest option to ensure he doesn't get into anything and hurt himself.
On the weekends he is not crated AT ALL. He doesn't sleep in his crate- he sleeps on the floor next to our bed. During the week, I wake up and take him for about a mile walk and spend a few hours with him before I leave for work. He then hangs with my boyfriend until he leaves for work (at about 9:30 AM). I then return home on my lunch break (12 pm) and take him for about an hour walk and he returns to the crate around 1. I get home by 5 and we go for about a 2 mile walk, topped off with an hour at one of his favorite dog parks! Aside from all the walks, we are very active and playful with him at home.

He is a MASTER fence and baby gate jumper, so we are afraid to utilize that option and have him in one room while we're gone. He also has a weakness for going potty on mattresses, so I'd like to expend all other options before I potentially have him in our bedroom while we're gone and ruin my 2,000$ tempurpedic mattress (frivolous pre-puppy purchase).
He has been OK with the crate since about 2 or 3 days ago, so a solid month and a half of being friends with the crate and now very obviously hates it. We originally had a divider in it but have taken it out. He has a little more than necessary room (much more room than to just turn around) because he is very good at being potty trained so we trusted him with a little wiggle room. He is always given toys and blankets and treats and all the things he loves in his crate when we leave.

I want him to be happy and healthy and will do anything to solve the problem. Tips? Tricks? Reasoning for WHY his attitude towards his crate has changed so fast and drastically?

P.S. sorry for the super long post but just wanted to give enough detail as possible to see if anyone has gone through the same thing.
Thank you everyone!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate    crate - ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Have you talked to your neighbors and made sure nothing happened in the neighborhood one day? What about storms that maybe got a little staticy? If you put him in the crate while you are there with him?

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate    crate - ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2017 11:13 pm

That's not a super long post all things considered.

What you're describing is the dog who's great with the postman until one day, out of the blue, he bites him ... I'm using this as an example but you'll see where I'm going with it - I hope.
Dogs rarely change like that, overnight, without reason. Substitute postman who took a kick at him or a meter reader who doesn't know him and knocked him for a loop. These are the types of things that happen that we don't know about - except for the results.

Okay, now back to you situation. If your pup was completely fine with being crated while you were and only recently has a problem then I'd suggest you consider what has changed. I can't picture that the increase n space would have caused the problem - but you might want to put the divider back in with a little more room. I'm thinking that the smaller area will stop his ability to do so much damage to himself.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate    crate - ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate  Empty

Back to top Go down

ADVICE NEEDED-My husky all of a sudden hates his crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1