It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars Empty
PostSubject: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 pm

I know we have a few Canadians on the forum, and some I do believe live in the Toronto area. Wondering if anyone has seen this. I know in the last year this law as well as a bully law has passed in or near the Ontario's area. Wondering how these laws may affect us here in the states.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=410481&stc=1&d=1488460679

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to just post the document, but clicking on the link will show you the law change. From what I understand the fine is hefty "Up to $100,000 fine" Thoughts on this? From also what I have read only martingales will be deemed safe to use.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 pm

We have the no tethering for more than an hour coming into affect in some towns around here. They didn't go as far as outlawing certain restraining methods. This may hurt them or even hurt some dogs. I know prongs and chokes are controversial but used properly they allow some very hard to handle dogs get the exercise they need. If these things are outlawed I suspect in some cases you will see this come back negatively on dogs who are now too difficult for their owners to walk. This will either end with the dogs being rehomed or sent to shelter, which Canada sounds like no place to be in the shelter from what I've read in the past, or dogs will be neglected significant amounts of exercise.

I hate dogs being tied out for any amount of time but I think they got a little carried away with this. As I said, some cities already do some of this to an extent. Just not that far. I don't think we will go this far anytime soon. We are actually making strides toward lift bully bans finally.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Yep, same here, I see no issue with the use of a prong, when fitted properly and used properly. The bully ban last year was sad, I don't have the numbers but a significant amount of bullies were taken out of the area and placed into different rescues, since if left would have been PTS. I understand and agree with protection of animals, but some laws I think go to the other extreme.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I saw discussion about that law on my FB page. What is strange for me is that I generally consider myself to be one of those tree-hugging, animal lover liberals that tend to be so much maligned these days. But this law goes too far, in my opinion. These tools, used appropriately, are wonderful training tools. And the blatant banning of specific breeds is another outrage. Some legislator in GA has a list of breeds she wants to ban, huskies one of them. I can't remember if she is state or city but whatever, I hope she is out-voted.

As for tethering - not a fan of day in, day out, 24/7 tethering. But, I AM a fan of tethering in lieu of crate or kennel when owners are not at home - provided the location is safe and food, water and shelter are available as appropriate. Ami is tethered on his overhead trolley when we are not at home - he has a dog house he loves, even goes in there when NOT tethered and always a huge, SS bowl of water. Thing is, when we first got him, there was a news story of a husky, crated at home, caught in a fire and could not escape. He lived but needed significant medical care. That haunts me to this day. Is a bit of a problem for me with Z'ev - he screams on a tether so if we leave for a few hours, he is crated in the shop. At least there, no woodstoves going.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Banning huskies? What the heck for? I had to go look this up thinking maybe they are banned for some goofy reason, or due to them running away....nope, they are being labeled a bite risk breed. Looks like it's based on some bite death statistics by the CDC. Both the Husky and Malamute rate high in this category.
I've never met a husky or malamute that wasn't just a big, goofy, happy, friendly ball of fluff. I however could point out several dogs in town that don't make the list that I wouldn't spend time with even fully armored.
Obviously if you look only at bite deaths you are going to have larger breeds. If you look at actual bite/aggression statistics the numbers show different results.

I know many people here use or have used prong collars. I have no problem with them if used correctly, but do you honestly believe everyone is using them correctly? Every time they are suggested around here it's caveated with 'if used correctly' or linked to instructional videos. This indicates that we all know that many people are using them incorrectly. Same thing with tethering. It's fine if used responsibly...but how many dog owners are that responsible?

It's a few bad apples, and a lot of potentially bad apples spoiling things for responsible owners. And instead of identifying the bad owners and dealing with it, the legislators that know nothing about the issue themselves are the ones making the decisions based on emotional anecdotes and lobbyists.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Not that I think Huskies are a dangerous breed, I don't - don't think any breed is necessarily dangerous but I will say - I personally know one persnickety guy that left holes in both of us...he now wears a muzzle. Made a different dog out him...he's become my snuggle bug lol!

I sometimes wonder...perhaps we have too many legislators with not enough to do so to justify their existence, they come up with more and more inane laws.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars   Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars Empty

Back to top Go down

Toronto Bylaw changes, no more tethering and use of Prong or choke collars

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1