It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New owners looking for tips and advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pattycake
Newborn
Newborn

New owners looking for tips and advice Empty
PostSubject: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am

My wife and I are the proud new owners of an 8 week old husky. She is gorgeous and so affectionate. We are so excited to raise her and enjoy her company. I am looking for any tips or advice on kernel training and house training. We both work during the day, but are home by 4 every day. I would welcome any advice on what to do with her during the day, and what the best way to house train her is. Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Make friends with someone who can go by and let her out while you are at work and your potty training will be so much easier. A puppy that young can't hold it that long, hour or two right now is all, so you need to be able to let them out to potty or you set them up for failure and it can take much longer to retrain them why they shouldn't potty in the house or in their crate.

Don't get a kennel that is too big. Think of a kennel as bed sized, not bedroom sized. They can lay down and that's it. This will help with potty training as well. And learn some tough love. She will cry and throw a fit possibly when she is in the crate. Don't give in. It sounds sad but she is just trying to get her way and if you give in she will expect it.

Welcome to the forum! We love pictures.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you for the advice. I am in the process of making the crate smaller, and it should work ok. I'll check on finding someone to check in on her. How do I post a pic?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

See this thread for instructions: How to upload pictures

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: 15 month old Huskies can't housebreak   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 1:28 pm

My son's Huskies are peeing an pooping excessively. I take them out every 2hrs come back in soon as I leave the room the do it. Peed on my daughter's head last night which infuriated me. We put pads down and within minutes they use it. If we don't of course it's on the floor. I'm wondering if it's an anxiety thing because it's so much and it seems only if we leave the room they're in. They will also mess their cage if locked in it. I've never seen adult dogs use the bathroom so much. Is it the breed? They hide after they do it so they know it's wrong. Please help! Peeing on my daughter's head was the last draw, getting ready to just let them out the door ????
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm

@kindrex42 - a couple of questions:
1) how old are the Huskies? and
2) how long has your son (sounds like you) had them?

Pee pads are a horrible idea, though I understand why some people have to use them - it really teaches the dog to 'use the facilities' inside rather than outside.

Whatever you do, please don't "just let them out the door," that's probably a guarantee that they'll get hit and badly hurt if not killed. If you have no other recourse, see if there's a Husky Rescue in your area.

Last question, how did the dog pee on your daughters head? She was laying on the floor / the dog was in bed with her? Curious minds want to know ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kindrex42
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 2:09 pm

I'd never just let them out I should've worded my anger differently. They are 15 months old and my son got them at 7wks. He did the crate training as well as pee pads at night because they howl if you cage them. We've tried different dog food, monitor water intake at night, long walks, it seems pointless. My daughter fell asleep in her sleeping bag watching a movie soon as I went to a different room the cocked their leg on her pillow not once but twice! Everytime I leave their sight they pee or poop it's crazy
Back to top Go down
Kindrex42
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm

We've put their poop outside as well, always take them to the same spot. They go outside come back in and mess soon as we leave them alone. I told my son it's anxiety somehow. We're trying to move to s place with a fenced yard in hopes of keeping them outside. I always thought dogs don't poop where they lay or eat lol these ones do.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Is living with you a new thing or have they been living with you since 7 weeks?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 am

A couple questions to start. Are they fixed? They are plenty old enough to be feeding off each other and trying to mark over each other. Every spot needs to be cleaned with an enzyme spray thoroughly. They could also see your daughter's sleeping bag as a pee pad since you've been using those.

You got them young. 8 weeks minimum to bring home. 10 is the preferable age and it sounds like you got two at the same time? Have you done any training with them separate from each other? Littermate syndrome is a real bear to deal with. Each dog should have their own separate everything. They should be trained apart from each other. Should get their own walks. They have to have their own attention separate from each other to give each a level of independence from the other. They do still need to have walk time and training time together, but they need their own time as well.

How I would start to deal with this. Go to vet. Make sure that they don't have UTI. Especially if you have tried limiting their water intake. That can cause UTI if a dog can't get to water when they feel they need it and if they feel they need it then there's usually a reason for it. Rule out the UTI. Are their poops solid and well formed? You said they go a lot. Do you mean they go several times or that when they go the volume is a lot. If they have massive amounts they are going at a time it would be useful to know how many times they are going a day and perhaps what you are feeding them. Kibbles with a lot of filler will make a dog go more. Once you know they don't have a UTI or medical reason for some of their issues then you go back to basics.

A lot (maybe not all) of this is behavioral. Not necessarily anxiety. Huskies will play you like a fiddle once they know what gets them what they want. Poop in the crate and suddenly they don't have to be in it anymore. Poop in the house suddenly they get to go outside. Assess how much exercise they are getting. Most need multiple miles a day. Are they getting that? If they aren't they will go out of their way to make your life miserable. They will be brats. Destroy stuff, pester you, act out. And they are at that age where acting out is common. We call it the teen phase. Happens anywhere from 8 months to a couple years if you don't crack down. When you are taking them out let them sniff around. If they go to the bathroom praise them, give treat, and don't immediately bring them back in the house. They do pick up and start associating pooping and peeing outside with the end of fun. I have a male I believe this was done to. He will hold it until he is on the brink of exploding and then he just goes out wherever he is. For a long time we fought this because he was pooping and peeing on my porch. It has taken a long time to break that. Not making him go out to pee and come right back in is how I have done that. Pottying outside can't equal the end of adventure.

Treat them like puppies again. Go back to letting them out every hour and give them exploration time. Train with them. Have both kids train with them. Make them work for their food. Huskies are scary smart and they aren't a breed to just lay around and do as they are told just because you exist and are the human. You have to bond with them, set the rules, draw the line in the sand and hold them to it. Everyone has to.

PostSubject: Re: New owners looking for tips and advice   New owners looking for tips and advice Empty

Back to top Go down

New owners looking for tips and advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1