It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

12-week old puppy won't go on walks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
elledeew4
Newborn
Newborn
elledeew4

Female Join date : 2017-03-27

puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks Empty
PostSubject: 12-week old puppy won't go on walks   puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Hey Everyone!

My 12-week old puppy will not walk with me on the street. She will walk with me in the yard, on the driveway, into and out of training classes. When I take her onto the street away from the house/yard, she sits, doesn't want to easily walk, and its more like pulling her so that she keeps going. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? How did you train your pup to go on walks?
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 12-week old puppy won't go on walks   puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Train a husky to go on walks? There is a question I never thought I'd see... Smile

Is the surface of the street different than the other surfaces she walks on? It could be that it's not comfortable for her to walk on it, or that it hurts her paws. Rough gravel or asphalt for instance may have lots of rocks that would make it uncomfortable for you to walk on, and the same may go for your pup. Heat could also be an issue. Pavement and asphalt can get very hot in the sun. It could just be a general dislike of the surface too. Ever see a child that's never been in the grass suddenly try to walk...the sensations aren't pleasant and they don't like it. You could try boots or a wax to protect the paws, or simply find a better place to walk. Stick to the side of the road where she can stay in the grass for instance.

What happens if you take her further away from the house before starting the walk. Drive her a few blocks away, then try. I had a ACD that would fight and fight to stay home. He'd pull on his leash to go back and you'd have to drag him away. Once he was out of sight of our house though, he was fine. He just didn't want to leave that comfort zone. After a couple weeks he finally realized that he'd get to come back and could chill out a little. If you test this out and determine this to be the issue, then reward walks. A treat for making it to the end of the block, make sure your walk ends somewhere fun (a park for instance, and have some play time). Try to connect the idea of going for a walk to fun things, she'll get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Petertmartin
Newborn
Newborn
Petertmartin

Male Join date : 2017-01-05

PostSubject: Re: 12-week old puppy won't go on walks   puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks EmptyThu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 pm

We are slowly but surely training ours (6.5months old) to lead walk and use food and praise to constantly get her walking by our side, we started when we first got her at 11 weeks. I'd try to treat her every few steps at first then treat every 10-20 steps etc. as she improves.
Personally I feel it's best to properly lead train them so walks don't turn into pulling matches and we've seen a massive improvement in her lead walking since we have been doing this technique. she now pulls maybe 20% of the walk and the rest is slack lead. It is very time consuming and annoying at times but persistence will pay off good luck!
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: 12-week old puppy won't go on walks   puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks EmptyThu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey elledeew4!

I thought I was the only one with the defective husky! When I first got Echo at 8 weeks, it was struggle to walk him as well. He would take a couple of steps, and then sit down, or dig his heals in to stop me from walking. He just loves to sit and stare at everything. I ended up having to pull him and get him to "let's go" every couple of meters. It was annoying.

I started him on a harness, but quickly realized that he used that to his advantage to stop me from walking, so I switched to using a collar only and it was MUCH better. At 3.5 months I transitioned him to a martingale collar and it made it even better. I also had to do hardcore clicker and treat training him to walk. I would lure him out of his sit & stares with treats and clicked every single time he would move when I said "let's go." Also clicked & treated every single time he would walk for more than 30 sec straight. =D

Who knew you had to train a husky to walk and actually pull you on a leash =P. At 5 months now, he walks very well. The one positive thing about this is he's GREAT at lose leash walking. He pulls now only when he sees something that interests him, but otherwise walks great on a lose leash!

So pros and cons, hang in there!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12-week old puppy won't go on walks   puppy - 12-week old puppy won't go on walks Empty

Back to top Go down

12-week old puppy won't go on walks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1