|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!
Broken Puppy tooth + Spay question!
Join date : 2016-10-14
|Subject: Broken Puppy tooth + Spay question! Fri May 05, 2017 5:47 pm|| |
The latest fun issue with my beautifully puppy Ghost is that she seems to have broken the canine tooth on the top left part of her mouth. While it doesn't appear to be bothering her, I took her to the vet and she said that it can be hard to tell how much pain the broken tooth is causing her, and that while she may not look like she is in pain, that isn't an indication that the tooth doesn't need to be removed. I know when I've chipped my tooth in the past, it always hurts, so suggesting the puppy may not be in pain seems a bit foolish to me, but I am not a vet, nor a puppy!
She suggested that if I wanted, we could Spay her and remove the tooth at the same time to avoid doing two different procedures. This option sounded OK to me, but my girl is just over three months old and that seemed a bit early to me for spaying. The vet suggested that while 5 or 6 months is the general rule, anytime after 8 weeks is OK, and that having it done in my time range is not completely uncommon. I have since googled this and it does seem like SOME reputable sources say that after 8 weeks is OK. It's just tough to tell with so much conflicting information out there.
So what I'm trying to decide here is:
1) Should I do nothing about the tooth, wait for it to fall out in a few months, and get her spayed as you normally would.
2) Remove the tooth now, and then do another procedure when it is time to spay her. I really don't want to put either of us through this twice, but it is an option I guess.
3) Do them both at the same time relatively soon.
Any input would be great. Thanks!
Join date : 2013-06-14
Location : Missouri
Join date : 2014-06-26
Location : west Texas
|Subject: Re: Broken Puppy tooth + Spay question! Fri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm|| |
I agree with Jenn, get a second opinion on the tooth. I also highly recommend waiting at the very earliest after first heat or 12 months of age for a spay for huskies. My girl had her spay at 5 months and was not fully developed and like Jenn's female, my girl has false heats and false pregnancies. I do not wish that experience on anyone. So yay she can't have puppies but she goes through the agony as if she could. Not worth it at all. Get a second opinion, most of the front teeth will come out between 4-6 months, it is only the back molars that come in at 6-8 months, so perhaps it is not bugging her and it will fall out sooner rather than later.
|Subject: Re: Broken Puppy tooth + Spay question! || |
Broken Puppy tooth + Spay question!
|» Dog Friendly Hikes in Wyoming and Idaho|
by jalepeno Yesterday at 6:44 pm
» Shedding and grooming help
by PaysonDogLover Yesterday at 6:40 pm
» Luna “husky mix” scrapbook
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 4:21 pm
» Ideas on WHERE to groom the dogs!
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 4:00 pm
» Muddy Dogs
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 3:58 pm
» Apollo Scrap book
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 12:49 pm
» Storm scrap book.
by Liv_Skye Yesterday at 12:43 pm
» Yuki Latest
by TwisterII Yesterday at 12:05 pm
» Looking for Husky Specific training info - New Puppy
by Lostmaniac Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:53 pm
» Found this buddy boi in Corpus Christi, Tx
by LillDragun Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 pm
» Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour
by TwisterII Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am
» New to this site
by Lostmaniac Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:23 am
» Leo's Scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38 pm
» Advice for new Siberian Husky
by Lostmaniac Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:35 pm
» lethargic, no eat or drink. miserable
by TwisterII Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:05 pm
» Hello and Welcome to It's A Husky Thing
by Lostmaniac Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:00 am
» I need you opinions please.
by aljones Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:01 am
» Advice please
by amymeme Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:20 pm
» Recall Information
by aljones Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 pm
» Spider is sick
by Shepsky13 Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:49 pm