It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adult food advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brandon&Maya
Newborn
Newborn
Brandon&Maya

Female Join date : 2016-08-28

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyMon May 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi, my pup Maya is just over 1 (13 months/41lbs) year and I'm looking for some advice as to what adult food would be good for her in addition to when she should be switched. As far as when, I have been told anywhere between 1 year and 2, which is too large of a range to be of any help. For the food, I would like to have her on a higher quality food than the standard kibble, but at the same time I am a college student and cannot afford some of the foods like Blue. My vet recommended Purina, saying that a lot of the other foods don't have to meet the same requirements. Due to that fact I have looked into the Pro plan and One varieties. In addition I found the brand Victor to have great reviews, decent availability and affordable prices. One last thing is that grain free food upsets her stomach so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible. Any advice on these 2 questions would be super helpful. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyMon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Hey Brandon, I would say over a year is more than fine to go to an all life stage or adult food for a husky. I would and do feed grain free and Victor is one of the best foods out there, so if it fits your budget, and you find one that is grain free (some of theirs has grain, so dependent on if available to you). The only thing I will suggest is to do a slow transition to the new food to avoid tummy upset. Smile
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyTue May 09, 2017 12:25 am

Hey Brandon&Maya!

I second the 1 year transition to an adult food. Even the instructions on the bags usually say that you should be switching to an adult formula at one year. I currently feed Orijen, but if that's too expensive Acana is a cheaper alternative. Otherwise, I have friends and my breeder recommends Kirkland (Costco) dog food.

Check it out on dogfoodadvisor and make an informed decision.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyTue May 09, 2017 11:57 am

The 1-2 year advice depends more on the breed you have. Small/Medium breeds tend to be fine switching at a year. Large breeds who take longer to grow need to be on an appropriate puppy formula for longer. Sibes being a medium breed are fine to switch around a year of age.

You say that "grain free food upsets her stomach" but I HIGHLY doubt it's a lack of grain that's upsetting her stomach. I think the culprit is something else, you just have to do some detective work (i.e. trial and error) to figure out what the true cause of the stomach upset is.

There a many, many, many food choices that would be great options. But I would not feed Purina. We have a What are you feeding your Husky? thread that is full of great suggestions you might want to check out.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyTue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Good catch Val, I read that as "grain foods upset her stomach"..............I totally agree with Val, Brandon, if something is bothering her tummy I would not just assume it is because of the grain free. Although some dogs, usually not huskies, do very well on a high end kibble that has grain in it. Trial and error is the best way to go, have food labels so you can compare ingredients so you can determine what may be bothering her. If you are insistent on feeding a kibble with grain, Fromm, Victors and Farmina come to mind that are high quality.
Back to top Go down
Petertmartin
Newborn
Newborn
Petertmartin

Male Join date : 2017-01-05

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice EmptyWed May 10, 2017 10:09 am

Taste of the wild is what I feed it's technically an all life stage food so I'm currently mixing TOTW puppy food with their adult food (ours is 8 months old). I'm thinking of switching to a New Zealand brand Ziwipeak which is even better quality than TOTW but it's more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Adult food advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adult food advice   Adult food advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Adult food advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1